It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:05 am

TAKING THE PLUNGE :)

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

kiaya611

TAKING THE PLUNGE :)

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 11:37 am

Hello,

I am finally going to buy the Advanced License for Hauptwerk. I wanted to be able to buy the complete set of the Paramount 450 (all 3 sets) at the same time, but some things came up and it looks like that is going to have to wait. From what I see, only MDS products are on sale with the 15% off right now...correct? It won't effect the Paramount pricing at all. I was also thinking that I could start the Paramount set and get the 320 and add it to the 310. Then later add the 332 and 450. This just messes up my timing up a bit as I had to loan $1,300.00 for a family member unexpectedly. So instead of having $2,000.00 to "play with", I have $700.00...BUT that WILL get me the Advanced Hauptwerk that I have been waiting on for a few years and a start on the 450. I really like the little St. Eucaire Cavaille-Coll and that would be discounted a bit. But given the funds situation and knowing that I want the 450 for sure, It is probably best if I just get the 320 to start that going.

Does anyone know if Paramount has any sales at particular times of the year...by chance? If they do, if might be worth waiting for. Thanks for your help, Steven

engrssc

Re: TAKING THE PLUNGE :)

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 11:43 am

As far as other sales, mostly unpredictable. It looks like you are the right track except waiting is hard to do. But in the end worth it. Been there done and still doing it. OTOH, you can make lots of great music with the smaller sample sets you are considering. End thought, stay the course and enjoy.

Rgds,
Ed

1961TC4ME

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 12:32 pm

I'll second what Ed says and will also add, yes by all means get the advanced version, you won't regret it as it opens up so many possibilities. Also to consider for anyone reading this that's on a budget (me included!), if you want to get playing and enjoying things, there are several very good free sets you can start with that the advanced version will allow you to use.

Marc

magnaton

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 12:42 pm

The POW 3/20 is a great starter theatre organ. As you've probably figured out, the free 3/10 is basically the 3/20 with several ranks and toys grayed out. The 3/20 (and the other paid versions) also expand the compass of tuned the percussions which isn't documented. That was a nice surprise.

The advanced of Hauptwerk version allows a mutl-channel implementation. Using identical speakers in an array with one of the algorithms, works extremely well with the POW sets. In my case, I have 8 channels for a division and with the chimes having a long decay you can hear the different notes emitting from different speakers! To me this is very thrilling in that I've played digital organs that cost over $100K that didn't (couldn't) do that! If you've seen or heard TOs in homes or pizza parlors with their tuned percussions and traps on display, spread around the listening area, HW gives you that same opportunity to recreate that on both the technical and sonic levels.

Danny B.

magnaton

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 12:51 pm

1961TC4ME wrote: Also to consider for anyone reading this that's on a budget (me included!), if you want to get playing and enjoying things, there are several very good free sets you can start with that the advanced version will allow you to use.

Yes! In fact here is a shareware set this is relatively new and features a couple 32' pedal ranks and a few solo reeds.
https://www.piotrgrabowski.pl/friesach.html
These 'dessert' ranks are very rare to be offered in a free set that sounds this good and complete.
Exciting times we have.

Danny B.

kiaya611

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 1:32 pm

Thank you all very much! This has taken a lot longer than I had originally thought, but it is finally happening. Thank you Danny for the Piotr Grabowski suggestion. I usually follow him quite a bit, but that one slipped through. That is great having a couple of 32's and some more solo reeds! Piotr puts out some nice sample sets.

How long does it usually take to get the Hauptwerk software and dongle? I'm on the west cost of the US.

Thanks,
Steven

magnaton

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 3:35 pm

kiaya611 wrote:How long does it usually take to get the Hauptwerk software and dongle? I'm on the west cost of the US.

Technically you have all 3 versions of HW already installed. When you install the driver for your dongle it will eliminate the opening menu screen and the annoying chime heard on the unregistered Basic or Advanced versions.

kiaya611

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 2:05 pm

I did know that you got all versions and that the .license/dongle would turn on the advanced part and get rid of the tone and well as let me register some sample sets as well so I can play them, but I cam wondering how long they normally take to ship out the dongle? You would think they would provide you a way to run what you purchased immediately, since you already have it and have now paid for it.

It is a bit troublesome using a USB dongle as the "key" as a number of companies are now doing. USB has had a flaw in it from the beginning and they can't fix it. It allows every device you plug it into to either put a virus on that dongle and then where ever you put it into a computer, etc. ti will then infect that as well and the most common use is to steal passwords and information and it can be done in a couple of seconds.

The only way to "fix" it, is to do away with USB all together and there are too many things that rely in it. Being effectively retired, I don't plan on putting it in any computer other than this one and I will scan the dongle first, just as I do anything I put in this computer. They can be quite tricky anymore. They can put a bug in a single pixel of a photograph and your software won't catch it.

1961TC4ME

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 10:23 pm

I don't know, I guess I wouldn't worry too much about the dongle thing. Yeah, if you're jumping around from computer to computer with it, especially computers that are routinely on the internet, I suppose it's possible you could pick up a virus along the way. In all my time here I've never seen anyone raise it as an issue. The biggest issue I've seen with dongles if anything is people losing them. :(

It's been a long time since I ordered the advanced version of Hauptwerk, but as I recall it took a couple of days to receive the dongle which was accompanied by very detailed instructions and I was up and running in very short order. Zero dongle issues in like 8+ years now.

Marc

dhm

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 3:37 am

kiaya611 wrote:You would think they would provide you a way to run what you purchased immediately, since you already have it and have now paid for it.

Bear in mind that order processing and dongle licensing is done manually by a human being, and there are only 24 hours in the day. :D
Also, since there is a pre-Christmas sale on at the moment, there may be more orders than usual to process....
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

Return to General discussion