It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 12:42 pm

V is coming

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

ReinerS

Re: V is coming

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 9:56 am

Somehow it's fun to watch people getting really excited about the benefits of buying or renting software.

You DID realize that you can have it either way? The announcement says "subscribe or buy". So everyone can decide on his/her own what is your preferred way of paying for the software, and there is absolutely no reason to try to convince others of what is the "right" way. I am always amazed how such discussions pick up temperature even when the free choice is available :)

Best regards
Reiner

RichardW

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 10:06 am

sonar11 wrote:But, it has to be an upfront, one time purchase. So that if (God Forbid) something happens to Brett/Martin/MDA and HW becomes dead, then my investment (though it may not grow any further) will not stop working.

There are ways to protect an investment if a company goes out of business - assuming the supplier is willing to participate. However, I expect it will not be free! :(

Here is an example: https://www.escrowtech.com/software-escrow.php

Regards,
Richard

162_Ranks

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 10:20 am

RichardW wrote:There are ways to protect an investment if a company goes out of business - assuming the supplier is willing to participate. However, I expect it will not be free! :(

I had asked about this in a previous discussion, or at least a promise to open source the code if MDA ever decides to stop maintaining it. I do not think that either has occurred.

ludu

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 10:30 am

ReinerS wrote:Somehow it's fun to watch people getting really excited about the benefits of buying or renting software.

You DID realize that you can have it either way? The announcement says "subscribe or buy". So everyone can decide on his/her own what is your preferred way of paying for the software, and there is absolutely no reason to try to convince others of what is the "right" way. I am always amazed how such discussions pick up temperature even when the free choice is available :)
Reiner

It will depend on the price. If HW 5 is sold at a prohibitively high price in order to force the customers to choose the subscribe, this question remains fundamental.
Luc

Purator

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 10:38 am

ludu wrote:It will depend on the price. If HW 5 is sold at a prohibitively high price in order to force the customers to choose the subscribe, this question remains fundamental.

It also heavily depends on the way one is using HW. The setup I currently have works (with optional reverb through REAPER) very well. Also, I am not the kind of user that collects organs - the ones I have are fine for practicing and the occasional gig. So for me the chances are very high that the upcoming features are more of the "nice-to-have-and-make-my-life-way-easier"-kind than the "I-must-have-this"-kind.

But, we are currently counting eggs before we even got the chickens...

sokrat

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 11:40 am

For me, as already mentioned, the long-term development of hauptwerk is important. It seems to me that we cannot have an objective discussion on this question. From my point of view, we lack the necessary information. MDA would have to comment on this question. However, due to the current information policy, there is little chance that MDA will give a well-founded opinion.

sokrat

Grant_Youngman

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 3:00 pm

This entire thread has gotten so far beyond the pale, that I'm not sure why I bother to read it.

Sit back, take a deep breath, and just wait for the official announcement. You may be surprised by what shows up, you may be happy with what shows up, and you may not be happy because you have to upgrade your 10 year old machine to make good use of the features, whatever.

Everyone is a better product manager, software architect, and has a better view of what features should be there.

It's just a waste of adrenalin until there's an official announcement ...
Grant

philipmeaden2

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 5:27 pm

Hear, hear Sonar11. The banner does say 'subscribe or buy', so hopefully we will have the choice; otherwise, I will be staying with the current HW version, Mojahve, and my existing sample sets, with all of which I'm very happy.

Andrew Grahame

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 12:42 am

Hi folks,

I agree - take a deep breath, count from 1 to 10, then relax.

All of this speculation is exactly that - speculation - some of which in my view has been less than helpful.

We have been told that the new features of Hauptwerk V and details of the new security system are due to be revealed within the coming weeks.

Let's just wait until the release has taken place, then any analysis of the situation can be based upon fact and reality.

Andrew

engrssc

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 12:49 am

ReinerS wrote:Somehow it's fun to watch people getting really excited about the benefits of buying or renting software.I am always amazed how such discussions pick up temperature even when the free choice is available

Agree, and I am smiling. :)

Contrary to the saying, ignorance is not bliss. :cry:

Plus a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous. :o

Rgds,
Ed

Lougheed

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 5:49 pm

17 days to go! :-)

engrssc

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 6:27 pm

Rgds,
Ed

Antoni Scott

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 7:20 am

I'm new to this, but what is "V" ?

Lougheed

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 7:51 am

Antoni Scott wrote:I'm new to this, but what is "V" ?

Version 5 of Hauptwerk, scheduled to be released this month. :-)

Grant_Youngman

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 11:17 pm

This just crossed my Facebook feed:
—————

GET EXCITED. V IS ABOUT TO CHANGE EVERYTHING.
The new feature-packed Hauptwerk V® and our brand-new, mobile-friendly web site releases in under two weeks. Never pay for another upgrade again with all new subscription pricing starting as low as $9.99 a month. Or choose to upgrade your existing perpetual license for as low as $199.

We are implementing a much more flexible licensing platform. Choose from iLOK Cloud or iLOK USB key OR choose to use both! You will need to supply your own iLok USB key if you choose to use one.
The official release of Hauptwerk V will be announced FIRST on Facebook—so be sure you are following us at http://www.facebook.com/Hauptwerk.
Grant
PreviousNext

Return to General discussion