It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:32 pm

Hauptwerk Reference Files

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

blueband95

Hauptwerk Reference Files

PostFri Jan 10, 2020 6:49 pm

So, I've nearly finished the process of updating my system. It has taken a massive amount of time!

Early in the process, it became evident that a systematic and organized approach would be critical. After reading and re-reading the manual and many forum posts, like many others, I was still pretty confused. So, in order to wrap my head around the system and better visualize how components work together, I started taking some notes. This helped a lot!

Once everything was installed, updated and configured, I went back through my notes and made some reference documents to capture some of the lessons learned. I post these here in the hope that they might help others as they go through the process.

For each document, I've included PDFs for printing, and MS Word files that you can change and adapt for use with your own systems.

System overview
This is intended to show the big picture of how everything works together, including the various components: hardware, software, and the MIDI/Data/Audio Signal Path. The process flows from left to right; from the organ keyboard, through the system, and out to the various room speakers.

MS Word:
https://9f59c2b1-9100-42f6-9089-35d62a710f14.filesusr.com/ugd/605ff5_74811b0ba2484adabe0c6dffa1300663.docx?dn=Hauptwerk%20Virtual%20Organ%20Signal%20Path%202020
PDF:
https://9f59c2b1-9100-42f6-9089-35d62a710f14.filesusr.com/ugd/605ff5_2791340fa8d145b8a8b9c3d00b3b1f8d.pdf

Room Speaker Setup
This is a graphic representation of how my system is set up in the room; seeing this makes the labels on the other documents make more sense

MS Word:
https://9f59c2b1-9100-42f6-9089-35d62a7 ... Setup.docx
PDF:
https://9f59c2b1-9100-42f6-9089-35d62a7 ... 28917a.pdf

Audio Routing Reference Sheet
This is a "Cheat Sheet" explaining some basic concepts, including terminology used in labelling inputs and outputs.
It also covers the different approaches to multi-channel output I use with my system for various sample sets.
This is the process I used to set up Hauptwerk and the mixer appropriately for each virtual organ.

MS Word:
https://9f59c2b1-9100-42f6-9089-35d62a7 ... nce%20Shee
PDF:
https://9f59c2b1-9100-42f6-9089-35d62a7 ... ed8810.pdf

Convolution Reverb Reference Sheet
This sheet explains some of the terminology used in reference to Hauptwerk V’s convolution reverb feature.
It includes a summary of microphone techniques used in capturing reverb models on-site, and a reference for the naming convention used in the reverb menu dialog. I’ve also included a list of Sonus Pardisi IR models I use with my system for virtual organs of various sizes. (Which I highly recommend, Jiri has done a terrific job with these!!)

MS Word:
https://9f59c2b1-9100-42f6-9089-35d62a7 ... rence.docx
PDF:
https://9f59c2b1-9100-42f6-9089-35d62a7 ... b715d5.pdf

Mixer Presets
This is a reference with a routing matrix which describes how I've set up each of my 8 mixer presets. Having a routing matrix like this on hand greatly simplifies the process of assigning audio for each sample set.

MS Word:
https://9f59c2b1-9100-42f6-9089-35d62a7 ... esets.docx
PDF:
https://9f59c2b1-9100-42f6-9089-35d62a7 ... 499e72.pdf

Sample Set Listing
This is a simple list of sample sets I use with my system. I use this reference sheet to choose an organ when the organ load screen comes up.

MS Word:
https://9f59c2b1-9100-42f6-9089-35d62a7 ... ets%202020
PDF:
https://9f59c2b1-9100-42f6-9089-35d62a7 ... 22ea3d.pdf

Sample Set Installation Checklist
While reinstalling and configuring my collection of sample sets, it quickly became necessary to have a checklist on which I could keep track of where I was in the process. This checklist expanded my simple list of sample sets to include some places to keep some records about what has been installed/updated/configured, and when. This ensured that I didn't leave anything out during a process that took place over several weeks.

Whenever I began work on the project and started to install a sample set, I simply jotted down the date, and likewise when I set up the MIDI configuration, and again when I worked through the audio routing. It was also very handy to have some dedicated space to write down notes about the quirks of various sample sets, voicing changes, or notes for further attention.

MS Word:
https://9f59c2b1-9100-42f6-9089-35d62a7 ... 20Checklis
PDF:
https://9f59c2b1-9100-42f6-9089-35d62a7 ... fa5531.pdf

Registration Conversion Sheet
This is a sheet I use as I configure MIDI stops for each sample set. It helps me keep track of which HW stops I have paired to my console stops. These sheets come in very handy when I have to go back and reconfigure MIDI for any reason. Having them collected as references in a binder makes the process a lot smoother. I have used a similar form for many years, but here is an updated version for use with HWV.

MS Word:
https://9f59c2b1-9100-42f6-9089-35d62a7 ... Conversion
PDF:
https://9f59c2b1-9100-42f6-9089-35d62a7 ... 174bc5.pdf

At this point, everything is installed and configured, and like many others, I'm just waiting for the 5.0.1 update which I hope will sort out some of the bugs (particularly the polyphony and VST/AU issues). Thanks to Martin Dyde for his patient assistance to me and countless other users on this forum. Thanks also to Jiri Zurek at Sonus Paradisi, for his overview of how the flow of information in HWV works, and also for his reference materials on IRs.

If after looking through these documents, anyone is curious what my system actually looks like, here is an earlier post with those details: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13940

If anyone does wind up using any of these and they do help, I'd love to hear about it.

I'd also love to have your feedback and ideas for improvement, both with respect to these forms, and to my system in general.

Many thanks!

Matthew
Last edited by blueband95 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SMann

Re: Hauptwerk Reference Files

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 3:43 am

Thank you so much Matthew for this marvelous cornucopia of useful information! It's a brave new world in Hauptwerk land right now and I think many of us are grateful for this and other roadmaps and guides that have been made available by generous users like yourself, MDA and several sample set producers.

Take care and thanks again,
Steve

Jan Loosman

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 5:12 am

Thanks for the info Matthew.

I was just wondering why there are no Dutch organs on your large list, only a Dutch organ builder.
Sonus Paradisi released a list some times ago with their best selling organs and Dutch organs are his top Sellers on that list.
It must be a matter of taste i pressume.
But reading your list it just noticed it.

Best regards Jan

mdyde

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 6:29 am

Hello Matthew,

Thanks very much for the very comprehensive documentation, which I'm sure people will find very useful.

blueband95 wrote:I'm just waiting for the 5.0.1 update which I hope will sort out some of the bugs (particularly the polyphony and VST/AU issues).

I'll send you a forum P.M. with a temporary work-around.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Andrew Grahame

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 7:25 am

Many thanks, Matthew. This is incredibly helpful.

Andrew

blueband95

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 7:45 am

Jan Loosman wrote:Thanks for the info Matthew.

I was just wondering why there are no Dutch organs on your large list, only a Dutch organ builder.
Sonus Paradisi released a list some times ago with their best selling organs and Dutch organs are his top Sellers on that list.

It must be a matter of taste i presume.

But reading your list it just noticed it.

Best regards Jan

Jan,

Thanks for your reply! There is one Dutch organ on the list; the Raszczyce instrument from Piotr Grabowski. That is an organ built in the Dutch style, although the instrument itself is in Poland.

My choices are a function of my background and what works best with the repertoire I play most. I come from the US, live/work in Germany, and take lessons in France, so that should explain a lot. I primarily use HW to prepare for services and concerts on a wide variety of instruments in my region; and of course, most of the instruments I play for this work are German; a mix of baroque, romantic, and contemporary organs of various sizes. I have always loved the sound of English cathedral organs, so that explains Hereford. (It's also just a terrific set!) Also, few of these sets came to me when I purchased my Ahlborn console.

I do very much enjoy branching out and playing on instruments from other schools, and Piotr Grabowski's sample sets are great for that. I certainly have nothing against the Dutch style, I simply haven't had the time and/or resources to go too far down that path as of yet. But there is always the future!

Thanks again,
Matthew
Last edited by blueband95 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blueband95

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 7:47 am

mdyde wrote:Hello Matthew,

Thanks very much for the very comprehensive documentation, which I'm sure people will find very useful.

blueband95 wrote:I'm just waiting for the 5.0.1 update which I hope will sort out some of the bugs (particularly the polyphony and VST/AU issues).

Thanks very much, Martin. You are the best!! :D :lol: :D

mdyde

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 10:47 am

Thanks -- you're very welcome!
Best regards, Martin.

blueband95

PostSat Jan 25, 2020 12:47 am

blueband95 wrote:

Thanks very much, Martin. You are the best!! :D :lol: :D

Hi Martin,

Just as an update to this thread: I have been using the workaround for a couple of weeks now, and I am sad to report that it does not seem to be addressing either of the problem issues on my system. I am still experiencing frequent polyphony lockups, and several sample sets still crash HW when loading up with the VST/AU checked. I haven't brought this up until now, because I wanted to try everything I could to make sure that it wasn't my user errors at fault. I've tried adjusting polyphony settings up and down, along with changing buffer sizes, reinstalling, etc., but several of my better sample sets continue to be all but unusable.

mdyde

PostSat Jan 25, 2020 7:03 am

Hello Matthew,

I'll send you a P.M. with the latest build, in case it helps indirectly somehow. However, the one that you had originally should definitely have solved the polyphony and AU/VST bugs.

Please switch to using the new one, and if you still get either of the problems then please:

- First make sure that you aren't overfilling the computer's memory (since that can cause all sorts of performance/stability problems). To try to eliminate any possibility of that, make sure that Hauptwerk's 'free GB' memory display (e.g. on the 'Audio, MIDI and Performance' large control panel) shows at least several GB of memory free once the organ has loaded and audio/MIDI is active (i.e. once the virtual organ console is visible), otherwise, for example, set all ranks to load in a lower bit-depth. Also, if you're running an AU/VST host (e.g. Reaper) or any other software at the same time as Hauptwerk, then you need to make sure that you leave ample memory unused by Hauptwerk in order that those other programs can work properly. (If an AU/VST host freezes or crashes due to lack of RAM then it will almost certainly cause Hauptwerk to freeze/crash indirectly.)

- If using the AU/VST link for audio output, make sure your host is set to use a reasonable audio buffer size (e.g. 1024), and on the General settings | Audio device' screen, set Hauptwerk to use exactly the same buffer size, and exactly 1 buffer. (The default Hauptwerk AU/VST buffer settings are 256 with 4 buffers, which is more CPU-intensive than a single buffer of 1024.)

Do those things solve it?
Best regards, Martin.

blueband95

PostSat Jan 25, 2020 2:39 pm

I will give it a shot! Thanks, Martin!

blueband95

PostMon Feb 10, 2020 6:30 pm

Hi, Martin,

I tried to reply to your private message without success, but here are the results of my latest tests with the latest update you sent:

The latest build/patch has seemed to help with the issue with Metz and Mt. Carmel Skinner starting up with the AU/VST loaded.

What has not improved, however, is that HW is still locking up the CPU any time I play densely-scored or quick works with full registrations on larger sets. The worst offenders are SP's Oakland Aeolian Skinner and Lavender's Hereford Willis, but I'm seeing the problem with other sets as well. These lockups usually require me to restart the audio/MIDI engine.

When this occurs, I go through the standard checklist; reducing the number/bit depth of loaded ranks, adjusting the buffer size, increasing polyphony, etc. I'm running a Mac Mini with maximum RAM, and when these sets are loaded with 4-5K polyphony I am able to manage to keep up to 4 GB available. This problem occurs both when I'm running Reaper and when I'm running signal straight through to my audio interface. Nothing else is running.

That's the biggest and most annoying issue, because it's messing with my ability to practice and prepare for services and performances. But now that I've had a month or so to settle in and use the system a bit, I've discovered some other issues as well:

- I'm getting a lot of unexplained clipping with cinema organs. This has been a problem with all of my theatre sets; Melotone's Wyton House Compton, the Freedom Mortons, Paramount 310, and the Virginia Theater set. I have reduced trim, played with audio settings, etc., but the only thing that seems to help is to apply compression and/or limiting in Reaper or my AVB interface.

- I'm having problems with HW sending stop on/off signals to my console. When HW pistons are used, the stop on/off signals are not being properly registered by the console stops. Some paired stops work, some don't. These are problems I have not seen before with any of the offending sets. Most of these are earlier/smaller sets, so it's not an issue with memory or CPU.

I'm sorry to have to bring up these continued issues--but I hope that by finding and fixing these kinds of things, we can have a better, more stable product for everyone. In any case, thanks for your help, and for your support to the HW community in general.

- Matthew

mdyde

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 6:52 am

Hello Matthew,

Sorry to hear about the problems.

None of the three issues you mention have actually been raised by anybody else (and MIDI output is entirely unchanged in v5 compared to v4.2.1, so I'm pretty sure that whatever's causing that one would have affected v4 equally on your system in the same situation).

In the interest of speed, I'll work with you directly via email, then, for the benefit of anybody else reading this thread, I'll post an update here once we've identified what's causing those problems on your system. (I'll send you a forum P.M. with my direct email address.)

For the purposes of the following tests, please keep using the v5.0.1 build that I sent you. Also, to keep things as simple as possible, please temporarily use direct audio output to your audio interface from Hauptwerk (not the AU/VST Link), and make sure that no other audio/MIDI software is running (e.g. Reaper), then please try the following and let me know the results in an email:

- Can you could reproduce the first issue with St. Anne's?

- What happens when that issue arises? For example, do you mean that pipes 'stick on' (remaining sounding, even after releasing the key)? Or do you mean that one or more of the virtual level meters (e.g. 'CPU') on Hauptwerk's 'Audio/MIDI and Performance' large control panel remain constantly in the red, even after you've released all keys? Or are you referring to macOS' Activity Meter?

- For the second (audio 'clipping') issue you mention, when the clipping occurs, is the virtual audio level meter on Hauptwerk's 'Audio/MIDI and Performance' large control panel in (or nearly in) the red?

- How about if no reverb is applied in Hauptwerk? Do you then still get the issue?

- Please then use 'Help | Create a diagnostic file' and send the resulting file to me in your email, so that I can have a look to see whether your logs and settings give any clues.

Thanks.
Best regards, Martin.

blueband95

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 8:56 am

Sorry to hear about the problems.

None of the three issues you mention have actually been raised by anybody else (and MIDI output is entirely unchanged in v5 compared to v4.2.1, so I'm pretty sure that whatever's causing that one would have affected v4 equally on your system in the same situation).

In the interest of speed, I'll work with you directly via email, then, for the benefit of anybody else reading this thread, I'll post an update here once we've identified what's causing those problems on your system. (I'll send you a forum P.M. with my direct email address.)

Thanks, Martin.

I will run these tests as soon as possible and be in touch with you over email. I have several pressing professional commitments at the moment, so it may take me a day or two.

I'm bamboozled by these problems as well, because I haven't changed anything else in my system; the only new variable is V. I did upgrade my OS last year before upgrading to V, but I tested the new OS extensively with HW4 to make sure everything worked properly, which it did.

I am wondering if the added RAM and/or CPU processing requirements of the upgraded OS plus those of V combined are at root of these problems. That seems like the most likely explanation. Likewise, perhaps the MIDI issues have something to do with the later OS's handling of MIDI? I admittedly didn't test 100% of my older sets with HW4 in the upgraded OS before upgrading HW to V.

In any case, when having problems I generally do simplify my system as much as problem, in order to better isolate the issues.

With regard to the cinema organs, by clipping I mean that I'm experiencing unexplained audio distortion with certain ranks whenever I use them. This happens even when I reduce amplitude in the voicing dialog, trim down the entire set, and/or adjust the rank's audio audio input/out levels in the mixer. When I do these things, I do indeed hear lower audio levels, but the distortion remains. Since I am only experiencing this problem with theatre organ samples, I am wondering if it is due to some kind of issue with modeled tremulants? A gain issue, perhaps, or incompatibility of some other sort? If I run these samples clean through HW to my audio interface at a normal output level, I can reduce the distortion somewhat using hardware compression and/or leveling later in the signal chain--but this is treating the result rather than the cause.

Anyway, I will run your suggested tests and get back to you with the results.

- Matthew

mdyde

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 9:22 am

Thanks, Matthew.

Before trying the tests, please do first make sure that you install the v5.0.1 build that I emailed you (since that fixes all relevant known/reported issues).

Also, to add to my list of tests/questions, for the theatre organ clipping/distortion issue, with no reverb applied in Hauptwerk (and not using VST/AU), please use Hauptwerk's built-in audio recorder to record an example of the issue for the Virginia WurliTzer sample set (with only one stop drawn, and without any tremulants turned on, if possible), and send me that recording, so that I can hear what you're hearing.

(The Paramount organs don't use modelled tremulants, so if you're also experiencing the issue with those then it can't be due to tremulants.)

Thanks.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to General discussion