It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:33 pm

Memory Usage

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

SMann

Memory Usage

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 1:41 am

Hello everyone,

Perhaps this has been discussed before but I thought I would report an observation that I made. There has been discussion about increased memory requirements of HW5 and the impact this potentially has on people who are using most of their free RAM when loading sets. I know Martin has mentioned that Hauptwerk's memory usage will be optimized in the upcoming maintenance release but I think my observation remains relevant. After my HW computer had been up for about 24 hours I used Windows task manager to determine what it's RAM usage was, then rebooted the machine and measured it again. After the restart there was a non-trivial increase in the amount of free RAM. I did not have HW running during the 24 hour period before the restart so it is not a factor in the results. Below is a link to an image of the two test results. The numbers on the left are the state of the system memory after the reboot and those on the right are before it. I hope this may be helpful to some.

Regards,
Steve

Edit: The programs and background processes running were the same during both measurements.

https://gyazo.com/8f53b7640a5b5c94407b97859750cd60

mdyde

Re: Memory Usage

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 6:10 am

Hello Steve,

[Topic moved here.]

Thanks for the tip that rebooting Windows helps free up memory, which I'm sure people will find useful. One word of caution, though: since memory usage gradually increases since rebooting when the PC isn't being used for Hauptwerk then if one were to reboot, launch Hauptwerk and use all of the 'free' memory for it, and then leave it, then Windows and other processes might still start doing things that in the background over time that need more free memory, which could risk system stability if it's already all being used by Hauptwerk.

It's safest always to keep a few GB unused by Hauptwerk, to allow some for 'free' for any things that might subsequently start in the background.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Computer hardware / specs