It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:33 pm

COVID-19

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

engrssc

Re: COVID-19

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 10:40 pm

I used to subscribe to Hot Pipes until he sent me an email that he had to manually address emails to me and didn't want to do that anymore. Not sure what his problem was but it's not my problem since I no,longer donate or subscribe.

Rgds,
Ed

Owen Jones

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 9:40 am

[Deleted my admin.]

PeterD

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 8:28 am

If you have visiting organists then cleaning the keyboard afterwards probably best accomplished by using Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) a.k.a surgical spirit which kills virus on contact and has general cleaning properties as well. A 5L container used to cost around £25 but profiteering from the current Health Emergency is everywhere

Amazon currently offering this at a swingeing £158

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rubbing-Alcoho ... 468&sr=8-1

Thats probably enough for the next 5 pandemics unless your keyboard looks like this]Image[/img]

STOuenCC.. but the Holy hands of Widor played here.... plainly do not ever clean
Be careful what you set your heart on......you may achieve it.

Purator

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 10:46 am

pat17 wrote:
Purator wrote:practising Bach with all stops out :twisted:

Bach with full stops out? Is it reasonable? :mrgreen:

There are probably a lot of pieces that call for a soft registration. I reckon, however, the Dorian Toccata is not one of them. *presses Tutti button*

engrssc

Definite exception to the Forum rules

PostSun Mar 29, 2020 4:31 pm

[Deleted my admin.]
Last edited by engrssc on Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mixtuur4st

Re: Definite exception to the Forum rules

PostSun Mar 29, 2020 5:07 pm

This has NOthing, noTHING, NOTHING to do with Hauptwerk.
So why posting this here ??????????????????????????????

Enjoy,
Jack.

engrssc

PostSun Mar 29, 2020 5:24 pm

It's just possible this info could save a member of the Hauptwerk community's life, maybe yours or mine., that's why.
You can easily delete it, so please do.

Rgds,
Ed

murph

PostSun Mar 29, 2020 6:36 pm

Few errors. UVC is the only UV that works effectively. It breaks DNA down just as well as RNA, therefore it's very bad for humans. It can be used to clean surgical steel, etc, but not much more than that. Gamma irradiation can work for surgical masks, etc more effectively. (But, it's more costly than replacing them........)
Vodka can be obtained at 57%, which can, ish work, but it's not usually available legally outside Russia or Finland, and not easily inside them.

engrssc

PostSun Mar 29, 2020 6:55 pm

Yes, it's UVC that's used for sterilization of objects. Definitely not for humans Plus any UV rays are bad for eyes, without proper protection.
I've heard some people like the idea of vodka and other spirits, for whatever reason. (Nothing to do with medicinal factors.)

Interesting article here:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200327-can-you-kill-coronavirus-with-uv-light

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostSun Mar 29, 2020 7:41 pm

Presently,I don't know of any churches holding regular (in church) services, doing instead, online, mostly word services or replays of recorded services. So as a result, as organists, we don't need to sanitize the console, which could be a substantial task. Not sure really how to go about that. Any ideas? There may be more dust than germs on the keys, hopefully that won't be the case. :roll:

Thinking positively into the future when this pandemic will no longer be. I know I carried Windex to clean piano keys when our choir sang in nursing homes, but Windex wouldn't do the job now.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostMon Mar 30, 2020 5:39 am

Hello Ed (and Owen),

I've merged your topic into this one.

Could you please post a link to the direct source of that quote on the relevant university's website? I think it's extremely important that we don't unintentionally risk circulating medial information/advice that may or may not be wholly correct. If somebody were to rely upon a piece of incorrect advice, it could potentially even kill them, even if it that advice had been passed on with the best of intention.

Whilst I know we're all worried about COVID-19 and want to help, I think this forum isn't really an appropriate place for general medical advice (or for reposting circular emails, social media posts, etc.) -- it's safest that people get medical advice/information directly from the official reputable sources.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

NickNelson

PostMon Mar 30, 2020 7:46 am

murph wrote:Vodka can be obtained at 57%, which can, ish work, but it's not usually available legally outside Russia or Finland, and not easily inside them.

Wood's 100 (rum), 57%, is readily available in the UK. I'm rather partial to it myself.
Seems a bit of a shame to just wash you hands with it though.
Personally, I use methylated spirits in an emergency, though I'm not suggesting anyone else should.

Nick

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostMon Mar 30, 2020 6:55 pm

I first saw that statement attributed to Johns Hopkins University on Facebook yesterday after it was shared by one of my friends. It is full of factual errors and the author clearly has very little knowledge of microbiology, or even biology at all. It seems to be a mish-mash of poorly-understood snippets regarding different types of infection. For instance the definition and decription of what a virus is is completely wrong. Unlike, say, anthrax, there is no airborne spread of coronavirus (droplets from coughing and sneezing are different) so no danger from shaking materials or dusting surfaces, and it can't be transmitted through air conditioning systems (which have been a source of infection in Legionella outbreaks). To suggest that air conditioners might be a risk is simply scaremongering. The concentrations of disinfective agents are wrong, and the author does not appear to know the difference between antibiotics, antiseptics and bactericidal agents.

I doubt very much that it originates from Johns Hopkins.

As Martin has pointed out, please be sure of your sources before sharing something, and if you are not in a position to judge for yourself whether or not it is true, then it is probably best not to pass it on. Misinformation, however well-intended, isn't going to help anybody.

Dr Julian Money-Kyrle MA MBBS MRCP FRCR
Consultant Oncologist (retired)
GMC No. 3180734

mdyde

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 4:45 am

Hello Julian,

Thanks for the confirmation. I've deleted the relevant quotes from Ed's and Owen's posts so as to try to ensure that misinformation doesn't get propagated unintentionally, however well-meant.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]
Previous

Return to General discussion