It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:23 am

Allen organ's subtle Hauptwerk reference

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

magnaton

Allen organ's subtle Hauptwerk reference

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 3:20 am

Hey folks:

I came across this advertisement for Allen's Historique models. This is their least expensive line with the lowest price model starting at $17K. They feature a "virtual library of organs", a (small) touch screen, and a headphone jack! Hummm, what market are they targeting?

They promote an easy setup so you spend more time practicing and less time tinkering. Well maybe, but it would be such dull practice with no inspiration having to listen to those outdated digital sounds! I've played these models and they sound only marginally better than what is presented in the video.
The reference to "those software products" start at time mark 1:11

https://youtu.be/K1RUAh5qYQE

Danny B.

Grant_Youngman

Re: Allen organ's subtle Hauptwerk reference

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 9:33 am

Didn't actually seem very subtle :mrgreen:
Grant

engrssc

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 1:37 pm

Do you suppose Allen (and some other prominent organ builders) are a little concerned? :o I'm sure they have noticed and are well aware of HW. :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

voet

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 2:30 pm

While there may be some tonal differences among the various specifications on Allen's Historique models, they all use the same template, which creates some strange anomalies. For example, what Arp Schnitger instrument has an 8' Gamba Celeste? What English Cathedral organ does not have a 16' Open Diapason in the Pedal? Or only has one 8' flue in the Choir?

I might have been impressed 20 years ago, but it does not come close to what Hauptwerk offers.

engrssc

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 2:44 pm

voet wrote:I might have been impressed 20 years ago, but it does not come close to what Hauptwerk offers.

Why they are concerned. Negative ads are witness.

Rgds,
Ed

dhm

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 5:20 pm

Must find out more about this model - one of my customers has ordered one....
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu / http://www.gundulf.org.uk

engrssc

PostSun Jun 07, 2020 2:21 pm

I've heard it from two organ dealers and an organ repair tech that there is the thinking that Hauptwerk is a "force" to be considered. And they are looking for information to counter the claims of Hauptwerk folks. HW has become much more well known.

Rgds,
Ed

magnaton

PostMon Jun 08, 2020 1:25 am

Phoenix Organs (granted not as big as Allen) has embraced Hauptwerk. They still have their own sound engine and offer customers a choice. Allen has down played Hauptwerk with their best answer being "Those who purchase Hauptwerk wouldn't be a potential customer anyway" which I interpret to be the (low end) home or practice market. However from the tone of this video ad, that might have changed. About 4 years ago at an ATOS convention, I overhead a prominent Allen rep say "the (Allen) Theatre Organ market has pretty much run its course, but we had a good run".
Historical note: The Renaissance theatre organs, especially the GW4, exceeded Allen's sales projections which was a pleasant surprise.

No secret the church market is the mainstay for Allen. Many (not all) of their local sales reps protect their turf with vigor and won't give up a sale easily. Now that Rodgers has been sold to the Dutch firm Global Organ Group, makes Allen the sole digital organ manufacture in the US. I guarantee they are milking that angle for all its worth.

It would be so easy for Allen to offer a well built, straight MIDI console for the Hauptwerk market. They could even create a separate division, brand name, etc. to hide the "Allen" name and protect the local Allen reps from being bombarded with service calls and technical questions. Piano companies did that for years. But hey what do I know :?

dhm wrote:Must find out more about this model - one of my customers has ordered one....

Hi Douglas,
I have friend who has the 2 manual model. I was disappointed in the keyboard quality, which felt much cheaper compared to a Fatar TP/60, and the "princess" pedalboard that Allen is infamous for. Overall the build quality isn't what you expect as in their mid-tier line but then again they have to cut corners somewhere in order to have a competitive product. Besides many Hauptwerk users seem happy with their IKEA Galant or raised Cosco table as a keydesk :lol: The Historique sounds pretty like what you hear on video ad.

Danny B.

engrssc

PostMon Jun 08, 2020 5:42 pm

Curious, does it have MIDI In and MIDI Out connectors?

Rgds,
Ed

dhm

PostMon Jun 08, 2020 5:52 pm

engrssc wrote:Curious, does it have MIDI In and MIDI Out connectors?

Rgds,
Ed

If it doesn’t, my customer has a problem...
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu / http://www.gundulf.org.uk

engrssc

PostMon Jun 08, 2020 6:11 pm

From reading the User Manual, assume it does as well as providing control for external MIDI devices.

Rgds,
Ed

magnaton

PostMon Jun 08, 2020 6:56 pm

engrssc wrote:Curious, does it have MIDI In and MIDI Out connectors?

Rgds,
Ed

Yes it does. My friend I mentioned earlier has 'switched' it over to Hauptwerk.

Romanos

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 6:58 pm

I have to say, the demos sound just awful. I’m not a purist, and I’m happy for digital instruments (of any manufacturer) to fill the void where pipes cannot be afforded or physically accommodated. That said, this really is unacceptable. I played for a while on a newer Rodgers about 6 years ago and it’s sounds trounce what’s in this demo video by a country mile, and again, this was my experience a few years ago, so their tech might be even better now.

Return to General discussion