It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:03 pm

Announcement of the first Cavaillé-Coll organ by OrganART

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

OAM

Announcement of the first Cavaillé-Coll organ by OrganART

PostWed Feb 11, 2004 3:40 pm

Hello,

I would like to announce the world first Cavaillé-Coll organ for Hauptwerk with recording of all pipes and their original ambience. The instrument will be available about March/April.The recordings were done by six-channel recording technique with high end equipment.

Listen to the (preliminary) demos to realize, why these instruments are the really adequate ones for french romantic compositions. Most famous french composers, like Franck, Widor, Saint-Saens and Messiaen especially wrote compositions for these instruments and its unique "symphonic" sound. Listen to the sound of the overblowing Flûte harmonique, the powerful Trompette harmonique, the delightful Basson Hautbois and Voix celeste. Cavaillé-Coll especially preferred a good tonal blend of the sounds and rich saturated colors instead of lighter tonal qualities, thus being totally different to baroque instruments.

The A.Cavaillé-Coll instrument with it's 15 stops was originally placed in Paris, having an interesting and changing history and now is located in Mainz/Germany, thus beeing the right instrument for the European organ idea. It had been a demonstration instrument in the workshop of Cavaillé-Coll for many years up to 1890 and was carefully restored in 1999. It's one of the very few original A. Cavaillé-Coll organs found, because most of them also had to bear neo-baroque modifications in the early 20th century.

There will be two organ definition files:
The first one (15 stops) exactly maps the original organ with it's stops and all original utilities, like couplers etc.

In contradiction to my normal recording and processing philosophy, I couldn't resist to make an extension of the original organ ( 23 stops) by construction of four new stops derived from the original sound material and creation of four more stops by transmission (like Cavaillé-Coll did very often in his organs). This extension process was done very carefully, to preserve all the Cavaillé-Coll sound characteristics and was only possible due to the excellent sound material of this organ (hoping Cavaillé-Coll will forgive me...). This virtual extended organ now represents a typical middle sized Cavaillé-Coll organ, and you will be able to play even bigger symphonic organ pieces (you even will find a Bombarde 32').

http://www.organartmedia.com/CCMainz-Intro.html
Prof. Helmut Maier
OrganArt Media Sound Engineering
D-88662 Überlingen/Lake Constance
http://www.organartmedia.com

G'day

Cavaille-Coll

PostSat Feb 28, 2004 9:24 pm

Hello Professor Maier,
A Cavaille-Coll instrument! Will wonders never cease. To think I can have such an organ in my own home. My wish would be that you extend this instrument as far as feasible. Once you have determined even to make a slight alteration to the original, it's in for a penny, in for a pound.
Great Luck, G'day

Jon Hammond

Cor de Nuit Celeste?

PostSun Feb 29, 2004 1:43 pm

The MP3 examples are excellent-inspirational. Extensions? The tinkering mind plans ahead! Just looked at the stop list on a CD for the new 1997 - Austin organ at the Forbidden City Concert Hall, Beijing, P.R. China. Too bad it wasn't built when I was attended a banquet there in 1982! The organ has a Cor de Nuit 8 and a Cor de Nuit Celeste 8' T.C. 49 -pipes.

Return to General discussion