It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:32 am

Hauptwerk mp3 files

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

CHRIS 037

Hauptwerk mp3 files

PostThu Feb 19, 2004 12:49 am

Hello Hauptwerk Members,

I have been having a great time using my Hauptwerk custom organ. I posted a description of it earlier. Some members were interested in getting some files that demo the sound so I have placed a few mp3 files on a temporary website for members to download, if they wish. I also put a WORD file there that shows the virtual console, as well as a photo looking into my organ room. There’s also a file that documents the stops and their origin, plus a file that gives a brief description of the mp3 files.

I also am a member of the RTOM group on Yahoo:
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/RTOM/

I have also placed two files recorded on my Rodgers organ using the 3 RTOM’s. (Roland Theater Organ Module). I’ve put them there mainly for the benefit of the RTOM group members, but they may interest Hauptwerk people, too.

My website address is:
http://home.comcast.net/~chris909037/index.html

Here’s looking forward to version 2.0!!!

Leo Christopherson

CHRIS 037

PostMon Feb 23, 2004 7:58 pm

Hello Hauptwerk Members,

I'm pleased to see that quite a few people have accessed my web site and downloaded some or all of the files there. I will leave the present files there for a bit longer, untill the count seems to stop rising, and then I plan to replace the current files with different ones that demo the Hauptwerk sounds I'm getting.

I do prefer the dry, non-echo type sound. I use my Hauptwerk instrument for recording and I need to hear all the detail I can. Of course, some organ music was composed for the large environment and probably sounds better there. However, I remember my first experience with midi Bach. Up until then, I had heard only Bach recordings in large, very reverbrant cathedrals. Of course, I loved it. But when I first heard all the notes when played by a computer, it brought tears to my eyes (no kidding) as I realized how much of the intricate beauty of Bach's music I had been missing. I had never seen a score or had an instrument to try to play that music on back then, so I had had the impression that the big Bach works were mostly massive chord shiftings.

I have tried adding reverb later to my Hauptwerk files. That works fine. It does make a piece such as the Widor Toccata (5th Symph.) sound more impressive, but again, notes are blurred and lost. I just leave my recordings with Hauptwerk with as little reverb as possible for now.

I was VERY impressed with the mp3 sounds from the OrganArt Media (Prof. Helmut Maier) Cavaillé-Coll organ. Now that's the sound I have been looking for. My current custom organ is trying to sound like that, I think. That Krebs prelude comes about as close as I can come so far. I hope I'll be able to afford the OrganArt files. We'll see. That organ does seem to have plenty of reverb, but perhaps the pipes were recorded up close or something, because there doesn't seem to be a muddled reverb effect that I can hear. I have always felt that the Cavaillé-Coll organ in St Sulspice, Paris, is the finest sounding organ I've ever heard! But it's huge. I was amazed and delighted that OrganArt's much smaller instrument nevertheless has that same wonderful sound!

Anyway, I will post again when I change the files on my webpage, for those of you who wish to sample them. I hope some of those present files have been enjoyed by you.

Leo Chris.

OAM

PostTue Feb 24, 2004 9:17 am

Thanks Chris037 for your contribution and compliments concerning the Cavaillé-Coll organ.
Yes it's one of a smaller Cavaillé-Coll organ types often found in French churches, but the sound has typical properties of much bigger ones. It is said, that Cavaillé-Coll organs have a sound of organs with a double number of conventional stops. Cavaillé-Coll was a genius especially in building stops with a high degree of sound
blending. The Tutti based on the powerful french reeds is similar to much bigger Cavaillé-Coll organs.
I intend to expand this organ with some selected stops (derived from the original material), especially creating a Bombarde 16' in the Grand Orgue and have transmissions to the pedal. Please check the website for the actual state. I even created a very impressive Contra Bombarde 32', but don't know if I should release it for this organ?? The sounds are designed with the goal of achieving an original Cavaillé-Coll sound as far as possible, but the player always has the freedom, to use only the original stops.

The (modern) church of St. Bernhard has a reverberation of about 3 seconds and damping of high frequencies, such enabling a very clear sound. The recordings (very difficult, because of the landing area of Rhein-Main airport, Frankfurt!) were done with a special multichannel technique, with the aim of getting an ideal organist players position thereby preserving the room sound (not only reverberation but room impression!)

Feedback welcome!
Prof. Helmut Maier
OrganArt Media Sound Engineering
D-88662 Überlingen/Lake Constance
http://www.organartmedia.com

CHRIS 037

PostTue Feb 24, 2004 11:21 am

Prof. Maier,

My vote would definitely be for the inclusion of the 16' bombarde extension on the manual, and most exciting, the 32' bombarde on the pedal! (As well as any other additions you think appropriate.)

Offering the organ as it really exists is important for historical purposes and gives Hauptwerk users a chance to experience that insturment. I would certainly enjoy using such an organ.

However, as a composer wishing to render certain music on the organ, I would like to have as much variety (within reason) as possible. I'm hoping that you will offer both versions of the Cavaillé-Coll organ. I would like to feel that the organ I use will play the music I want to hear and that the musical sound does not have to be dictated so much by the characteristics of the instrument. Does that make sense? I don't want the music to sound best only on a certain type of organ. Of course, using Hauptwerk, I don't have to restrict myself to only one instrument, do I? Perhaps I have voided my own argument here after pretty well confusing everyone. Anyway. . .

Thanks for doing what you're doing in offering these fine instruments.

Leo Christopherson

CHRIS 037

New Hauptwerk mp3 organ files

PostWed Feb 25, 2004 10:22 pm

Hauptwerk Users,

I have placed a new group of mp3 files on my website. All but one demos the sound of my Hauptwerk customized organ. The last one is another theater style RTOM tune. I hope you will enjoy the music as well as be favorably impressed by the Hauptwerk sound. My web page is:

http://home.comcast.net/~chris909037/index.html

I'll leave these files available until the access count stops climbing, probably a week or two, and then refresh them again.

Leo Chrsitopherson

Return to General discussion