It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:06 am

question about midi -) print

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

dalest

question about midi -) print

PostTue Jul 22, 2014 7:24 am

hello, my friends how could i take all my midi files of my improviations to print them in sheet music?
if i send the midi files to you, could you do it for me?
thank you

cdatzko

Re: question about midi -) print

PostWed Jul 23, 2014 3:04 am

dalest wrote:hello, my friends how could i take all my midi files of my improviations to print them in sheet music?
if i send the midi files to you, could you do it for me?
thank you

The problem with MIDI files is quantisation. The computer program has to find out what the shortest note is (and whether the length difference between to notes is intentional or due to stilistic reasons). The difference isn't all that big: if you take a quarter triplet followed by an eighth triplet and a dotted note followed by a sexteenth note, the difference (in theory) would be 1/48th if I didn't calculate wrong. At least I'm not always that precise. Besides that you'd have to find out the meter, meter changes and fluctuation in tempo (which is my area of research). Not an easy task. And don't forget polyphony.

It is possible however to some extent, especially if a human is involved in correcting the details. I would guess virtually every sheet music printing program offers some midi import capability. Why don't you grad one of the freeware ones and try out the midi import for yourself? I've been using a german product called "Capella" since I guess more 20 years (http://www.capella.de/us/). It's not the best, but very useful for more then 99% of all sheet music printing needs and reasonably priced (compared to the market leader Finale, which allows you to print 150% of all sheet music printing needs: http://www.finalemusic.com/). They both offer demo versions.

Christian.

sesquialtera

PostWed Jul 23, 2014 4:10 am

Hello !

Sibelius is a verry good score software too,
but whatever the software, you'll allways need to correct by yourself your human playing or the result will be unreadable, (a king of xenakis), unless you play your improvisations with a metreonome ! :D
And writting down a 10 minutes piece will take a loooooong time ...

kaspencer

PostThu Jul 24, 2014 5:19 pm

Sibelius certainly is a serious option. However, there are a few points to consider in addition to those mentioned by Christian ...

In my experience, transferring a Hauptwerk generated MIDI file into a score editor is best done when each manual and the pedalboard, have a separate MIDI channel.

If you are using USB-connected keyboards, you might not have set them each to a different channel, as, in common with many other digital audio applications, and since v3.23, Hauptwerk can differentiate the MIDI inputs by their MIDI device name, even if the devices are identical and their MIDI channels are all the same. However, I think that Sibelius (and many other MIDI editors) will work better if the inputs are distinguishable by MIDI channel - then each channel can be directed to a different staff.

Good luck!

Ken
Kenneth Spencer
Music Site: http://www.my-music.mywire.org
Project Page: http://www.my-music.mywire.org/opus_ii.htm
Books on Hauptwerk and Computing; Novation Launchpad overlays: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/kaspencer
YouTube Videos: http://www.youtube.com/kaspenceruk

sesquialtera

PostFri Jul 25, 2014 11:06 am

I think that purge, cleaning a midi part in a score software is too long and discouraging. :cry:

Unless the midi file is played strictly mechanically using a metronome,
the midi import of any music piece will allway look as crypted martian hieroglyphs !!

I suggest using the midi file onky for playback, and listening carefully each phrase,
then writing a clean part, by ear, in the score software.

fourniture_iv

PostSat Jul 26, 2014 11:33 am

I cannot physically play the organ due to a stroke but have been implementing handcrafted score-to-midi files for my own pleasure for some time, assisted in the beginning by the gracious advice of the late James Pressler. Curiosity has prompted some exploration of MIDI-to-score and I can readily concur with the difficulties expressed by the previous posters.

However, I have a few ideas about the process and possible software. What I lack is a bona fide human HW MIDI recording file of, say, a short improvisation that will provide no a priori knowledge of the musical content with which I can experiment.

If anyone is interested in providing such a file, please send me a private message and we can discuss. Note that you should copyright such a file and of course I will not use it for any other purpose than experimentation. Any potential results will be shared on the HW Forum (but please do not hold your breath… :-)… not a simple problem!)

profeluisegarcia

PostSat Jul 26, 2014 1:03 pm

Hello all and best wishes for Dalest:

An acquaintance of mine, the german organist W. Seiffen, have improvised in front of me and some fellows toccatas and fugues Bach´s style. It hurts my heart that such wonderful pieces have just that momentary existence, and I always thought about how to write and print them. I´d also love to play some Dalest improvisations like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-kLephf_mU

So I asked Subbas32 about his Midi Transcription Files, which allows to see the keyboards and notes from above, and he authorized me to share his reply. Here it goes:
[i]MIDI Transcription Page
The midi transcription page has a bit of a story, and it is perhaps not as useful as one could imagine! I have a friend who notates hymn improvisations for the Dutch organist Andre Knevel (http://www.andreknevel.com/). Andre would visit, and my friend would film him playing a few improvisations using his video camcorder. Then he would notate them by playing the recordings slowly, to see exactly which keys were being played. This was particularly helpful for recording toccata like pieces with fu
ll registrations where it can be hard to determine exactly which notes are being played.

At the moment, my friend records Andre's performances in Hauptwerk using the internal built-in recorder. Then when he notates the music, he can reference the Hauptwerk midi recording to see exactly which keys are being depressed on the screen you referred to (https://db.tt/6BOLOspZ). There is a caveat though in that Hauptwerk can not playback at a slower speed, and cannot pause the performance. As a result, my friend would use software to make a video of his screen which he then can playback in his media player. This allows him to pause, fast-forward, rewind, etc quite easily. Note that this should not longer be necessary once Hauptwerk 4.1 comes out since it will include the option to slow-down performances (see attached screen-shot).

One more note, most virtual organs already include a keyboard on the "console" tab which have keys that depress. The only reason why my friend asked me to add the "Transcription" page is to make it easier to see which keys are being played.

The two notation softwares that people seem to prefer are Finale and Sibelius. My friend uses Finale (I do as-well), and is very satisfied with it, although it does take some time to get familiar with the many features.

The midi transcription page I shared was actually done in Utrecht V1, so it's somewhat out of date. However, since I have all the graphics already done, it would be relatively fast to add to your favourite organ. I'm guessing it would take no more than 2-3 hours. Having said that, on St. Omer's demo it is also reasonably easy to see which keys are being depressed. If you like, I can change this demo to have the keys light up in red or some other bright color when they are depressed. This is very quick, and would not take more than 1 hour.

Hope this sheds some light on the matter!
[/i]

sesquialtera

PostSun Jul 27, 2014 1:15 pm

Thank you porfeluisgarcia

Charles Tournemire made a recording in 1931 at Sainte-Clothile, improvising on the "Te Deum".
In1958 Maurice Duruflé published a transcription of those improvisations based on these recordings, using bad quality sound and his ears.... No computer, no dedicated software !
Nowadays, Jeremy Fillell transcribed some of Pierre Cochereau improvisations, using the same method.

The purpose is to produce a logical and playable piece of music, not to make the exact 100% copy on paper of what has been played by the "Gifted Master". The clear HW sound with slow down function, chanel filters, zoom-on-hands-or-feet function, are precious, but nothing can do better as human brain and ears ! ( and work and free time... ) .
I don't believe in the magical function : improvisation-direct-to-paper-convertion !
I hope you understand my point of view ...

profeluisegarcia

PostSun Jul 27, 2014 8:14 pm

Hello 12-17.
Of course I understand your point. It makes a lot of sense. My point, however, is that in order to save those moments of musical inspiration, all the resources are welcome. If someone like me does not have good musical listening discrimination as to reproduce and write certain strange chords or contrapuntal lines, a slow motion visual aid, besides the recording, could be helpful.
(Was also magic to play Arlesheim , Bovenverk or Utrecht at home 15 years ago...)

subbas32

PostMon Jul 28, 2014 12:50 pm

Hello,

In the first place, dalest, wishing you strength and courage, especially when you go for surgery in a few days!

profeluisegarcia, thanks for your post from our email conversation!

Like profeluisegarcia has already stated, it is possible to incorporate tools into Hauptwerk organs to aid in notating. Some people will find them useful, while others use alternative methods.

The two I can think of that are easiest to program in Hauptwerk are:
1) Large, easy to see keyboards
2) Display musical staves which show which notes are being played at any given instant.

Regards,

Jake

Return to General discussion