It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:41 am

Hauptwerk Band-Organ

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

CHRIS 037

Hauptwerk Band-Organ

PostTue Mar 09, 2004 1:49 am

Hello Hauptwerk Members,

I have had some time off from teaching this week and have enjoyed using Hauptwerk again. I put together what I call a “Band Organ” console to play non-classical music. I think the reason that this stuff sounds so good to me is that, unlike a typical synth with 32 to 64 voices, Hauptwerk has hundreds of distinct voices.

So, I sampled a General MIDI drum kit, and some other percussion-type instruments to add to the organ sounds. I expanded the console to five keyboards and extended the pedals. (I added drum sounds to the upper pedal notes, beyond 32, to use if I need the fifth manual for something other than the general midi drum kit.) I got rid of all of the couplers, since the midi sequencer can take care of all of that. I have included plenty of general and divisional pistons with midi control. There are now 64 stops, but some of them are borrowed to give a more versatile rendering of music. As it turned out, sampled percussion sounds take up a lot less room than organ sounds, which allows for more over-all stops. Have a look at the console screen-capture from the webpage. The only thing I can’t include are sounds such as a piano or guitar, that can both fade slowly or stop quickly. I guess version 2.0 will add that ability.

I have placed some mp3 files that demo the band organ sound on my webpage. Included are four hymn tunes that use Band-In-a-Box midi backgrounds. I’m amazed at how great these computer generated notes work out. The sound output from Hauptwerk is much better, in my opinion, than the output from most general midi synths. What do you all think? (I alway use quality headphones when I listen to my Hauptwerk files, the sound is way better than any speakers I have.)

(And, by the way, I sincerely hope that I haven’t offended anyone with my rather upbeat versions of the Lutheran hymns.)

My website address is:
http://home.comcast.net/~chris909037/index.html

Leo Christopherson :D

BachsFugue

PostTue Mar 09, 2004 5:05 am

What great fun, Leo! My fave was the Polka. The chorales were all dear to me, and I enjoyed the fun you had with them.

If you are taking requests, here's mine: The Stars and Stripes Forever by J. P. Sousa.

Thanks for the imaginative use of this wonderful program.
Cole
Cole Votaw -- Springfield, Ohio, USA

CHRIS 037

Reply to BachsFugue

PostTue Mar 09, 2004 11:43 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words, Cole,

I did have a lot of fun putting those pieces together. I think I'll work on some more. I got permission from Eugene Hayek (a great theater organist and accordion player) to use any of his many midi renditions of various pieces. He has some fine band-organ stuff (and theater, too).

I've always liked "The Stars and Stripes Forever." I won't promise anything yet, but I admit it would be a great tune for the band organ. I'll have to see if I can find the sheet music for piano or organ so I can make sure I don't leave anything out, if I try to midi it. I'd swear that I used to have a Sousa album around here, somewhere. Thanks for the suggestion.

Leo Chris

Return to General discussion