It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:16 pm

Angelina - looking for some help to build her H/W instrument

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

engrssc

Angelina - looking for some help to build her H/W instrument

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 3:33 pm

This ambitious young lady is in need of some help. Check out her website. 8) Quite a clever approach and it looks like she has done her homework. Not sure if she frequents the Hauptwerk Forum here, but I suggested she should. She is presently MIDI-fying a pedalboard.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hauptwerk-a-diy-pipe-organ#home

https://www.indiegogo.com/individuals/5067544

BTW, I ran the above past Brett and he was ok with posting this.

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

Re: Angelina - looking for some help to build her H/W instru

PostSat Sep 13, 2014 11:24 am

Any helpers out here?

Rgds,
Ed

Angelina_angie_oh

PostMon Sep 15, 2014 12:06 am

Thanks for helping me getting the word out Ed!
I've stumbled onto here a few times during my research but never got to making an account, guess nows a good time! It's quite a treasure trove of hauptwerk related info here!

I've updated a blog with steps and details on how my pedals a wired.
http://zauberflote620.wordpress.com/2014/09/11/just-rewired-my-pedals/
Lots of pictures (I love pictures!) during my research before I actually did my own rewiring I had difficulty imagining what the steps would look like, there weren't too many pics of the actual steps, so I made it a point to make sure I took lots of pics for others like me who are more visual learners. I also know the steps might be different depending on what kind of pedalboard you might want to wire. Mine was from an Allen organ, came with contact blocks and contact wires that just needed a bit of cleaning. And I used molex connectors instead of ribbon.

Here's a pic of what it looks like now:
http://instagram.com/p/sasOIuNBuZ/

I will no doubt need your (ppl on this forum) expertise as I go forward with this project. Thanks for everyone's help so far!!

engrssc

PostMon Sep 15, 2014 8:56 am

You are definitely going in the right direction. And as you probably already see, there really is no limit as to what can be accomplished. To add to your "library" here are quite a number of very good free sample sets available via download that have been created by some clever folks.

Similar to your setup, there are many ways to go that range from quite simple, playable instruments that have grown over time to quite large instruments worthy of acclaim. Myself, I went the route for the last instrument(s) of purchasing completed organ consoles, in some cases gutted the former electronic components and built from scratch new (and much better) electronic/computer systems. The last being a 3 manual, drawbar organ I built for our church. It has 13 audio channels with a huge sub woofer. The default sample set is the Our Lady of Mt Carmel - Skinner (for which Brett is presently working on updating). This last instrument is using a Mac Mini which is somewhat limiting by the RAM that is available. But the last HW 4.1 version is very frugal on resource management which certainly helps.

OTOH, my first HW instrument centered around a gutted Schober Consolette. The home organ is an added on to Rodgers 340 Theatre organ which has more classic sample sets than theatre sets. (The Rodgers is the avatar picture I use on the F/B Organist Association site.) That first organ sounded via 2 small book shelf speakers (or a headset) and was "powered" by Hauptwerk version 1.0. Quite a scale of progress since then.

I'll probably never be totally satisfied. There is this insatiable inbred desire for improvement that keeps "making" me move forward. This is the same, similar story around here you'll find, very similar to a (very) large family each ready and willing to help anyone who needs and asks for it.

Bottom line, Welcome to Hauptwerk-Land where I know you will meet some very interesting and dedicated (to the "cause") folks. :)

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostMon Sep 15, 2014 9:14 am

A thought, what you can do with HW is to record yourself (using the built-in MIDI recorder) playing on the HW keyboard and play it back while playing live, your violin. I do that at church where I pre-record on the organ some selections and play them back while I play the piano.live You can even remote control the HW recorder/playback functions. Neat stuff. 8)

Rgds,
Ed

schantzplayer

PostMon Sep 15, 2014 9:23 am

Looking at your website, it looks like you have got things well under control. Having gone through this myself with a 4 manual instrument at the finish line, I humbly offer any assistance you might need.

Bob

engrssc

PostMon Sep 15, 2014 10:12 am

One more thought, since you are presently using an 88 note keyboard, you can use those "unused extra" keys to toggle (on.off) such things as stops, pistons or other HW functions. Just select (mouse click) the stop or function and use the auto-detect feature with stick on labels on the designated keyboard keys. :wink:

LaunchPads are a quick way to add stop controls and with the new HW 4.1 full support with LED control which is included. Saves lots of time and work. I just picked up another (original, not the S version ) LaunchPad on eBay for $50. A good possibility you are already of aware of this stuff. :)

Rgds,
Ed

Return to General discussion