It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 pm

I have to stop for a while on Bach's Barn

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

notdefined

I have to stop for a while on Bach's Barn

PostSat Sep 20, 2014 7:22 pm

I had a bit of an accident Thursday that will cause all work to stop on the barn conversion for the next 2 months. I was hanging one of the top most resonator panels on a front wall when the ladder went out from under me and I took a 12 dive head first onto a concrete floor. As a result, I broke my neck at the C2 vertebrae but fortunately, due to a fleeting bit of sanity, did not budge until the emergency crew arrived so there was no cord damage. It will take 2 months for the vertebrae to heal and until then, I'm in a neck brace that will not permit me to look around much less do any detailed work. Not all is lost however, as I will put the downtime to good use with getting the list of things in order that I have to do and self education.

All of this does finally put a nail in the coffin ending my determination to do everything myself. I'm having to acknowledge that I'm simply not capable of going up a 12 ladder dragging a sheet of plywood behind me, so I will get help. Besides, with a balancing problem that I've had for 10 years now, I never should have been up on a ladder more than 1 foot tall. I guess one can call me a stubborn old coot.....or not.

So not all is lost, just delayed a bit. Even better, I'm still kicking around on the planet.

steve till

Re: I have to stop for a while on Bach's Barn

PostSat Sep 20, 2014 7:47 pm

Oh dear, sorry about your fall.
Good luck and best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Just think, old Bach has already been dead for 264 years... he won't mind the delay.

mrkniz

PostSat Sep 20, 2014 9:10 pm

Dear notedefined: What an awful bit of luck! Your project is one I've been following with great interest--I've even been considering coming out to see it (from NJ) when you it's finally finished.

My concern now, however, is for you. Do take care of yourself, and make the best of your down time. You have been an inspiration for all of us, and I'm sure that many prayers will come your way. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and keep us informed on your progress. Ken Zink

1961TC4ME

PostSat Sep 20, 2014 10:22 pm

Thank God it was not worse, you can consider yourself lucky! I hope you heal soon and can get back to your project as time, health and persistence permits. I've encountered the same, it seems sometimes when you push yourself too much (and you know when you are) but choose to ignore the subtle warnings, things like this happen more as a warning. Someone, somewhere is looking over you and deciding for you it's time to take it easy and re-group.

Take a break and come back to it with a new plan and frame of mind after you've had a chance to think things over which you will have the next few months, and I guarantee all will go better and you will be finished before you know it! :D

Marc

pat17

PostMon Sep 22, 2014 2:02 am

Hello Notdefined, get well soon! :wink:

mdyde

PostMon Sep 22, 2014 4:33 am

Crikey. Best wishes for some speedy bone re-growth!
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

telemanr

PostMon Sep 22, 2014 7:37 am

I think, no I know, you have the very best wishes of all of us on the forum.
Rob Enns

notdefined

PostMon Sep 22, 2014 8:53 pm

I thank all of you, I did not want to sound like I was throwing a pity party, just letting y'all know why everything may have seemed to come to a screeching halt. The prognosis is that I will have a 100% recovery due to the location of the break. Had I tried to move before the EMTs arrived, the outcome would have been very different though. At least I had my wits with me during the moment of stupor in which I found myself. At the moment, I am sore…..EVERYWHERE. I'm not sure exactly what trajectory I took but it seems that I rolled forward from the waist at the top of the ladder and went head long into the floor 12 feet below. From the scratches and bruises I have, it does appear that I did try to stop my fall, or at least lessen the blow to my head. It must have worked.

I have a fair amount of wiring to do that I have put off, so it seems that now will be a good time to get that finished. Take every advantage in time, I say.

I'm keeping a positive attitude about this (and this stupid immobilization brace) because the outcome could have been much, much worse.

notdefined

Update: I have to stop for a while on Bach's Barn

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 12:41 pm

It seems that I am on the mend. I go to the spine clinic in Oregon tomorrow morning, Clackamas, OR to be exact, for the next round of x-rays and hopefully the doctor will replace the brace attached to me with something a bit more comfortable and workable.

My living room organ played notes last night. It is frustrating that things take so long to do, but a long time is better than not being done at all. I have to disassemble the computer today to put it into a standard mid tower that will tuck into the console space designed for it. Martin Digital added a pretty nice feature to the table that adds a remote on off switch and light. Of course, one must know how to connect it to the motherboard (PC style) which in reality, is a very simple task. I am also listening through headsets since I cannot reach up to hang the speakers. I will get help for that though. I have new keyboard on it's way from Canada to replace the one that is broken and ribbon cables to connect the piston rails to the keyboard connectors. 4 rails for 5 keyboards, meh, it works. :) Besides, I have a blank to go on the 5th one. There will also be 16 toe studs and connectors in the shipment from Classic Midi.

I did manage to connect a 4 expression pedals using a connector on the bottom keyboard for the 4th one. With extra time on my hands I've been doing something I should have done years ago, reading directions and specifications. It is a trait of my boomer generation to jump straight in to unfamiliar waters without first checking to see if we are dressed.

I connected the 2 Acer 27" touch screens from Newegg that were purchased refurbished by Acer. They are positively gorgeous and extremely responsive. For now they will just sit on the aprons of the table (with a bit of a counterweight to keep them from toppling over) but as soon as I can get out to the shop, I'll fabricate a proper enclosure for them. The delay will give me time to mull over several designs and hopefully choose the most workable. I want to be able to change out the monitors for various stop boards the purpose of which is to learn how to fabricate such things. I also want to prototype the stop jambs for the PAB console I plan to build and have the switches on order. All of this will influence the design of the enclosure as I do not want to make a new one for everything that I try.

As far as the barn goes, while I have resigned myself to contract out as much of the "dangerous" work as I can afford, I will not surrender completely. In order to permit myself to work safely above floor level, I've decided to invest in new steel scaffolding with outriggers for tip resistance, and a guard rail for the idiot working on the top level. I don't think this will put me in much danger because even if I should decide to pass out, I would not be able to fall over or under the rails and would go no further than the platform on which I was standing. Safety lines will be in order as they should have been last month.

I've found some excellent thin walled PVC piping of various diameters that will work very well as fake pipes. I've also located several types of metal paint that go from a mirror paint to one that approaches the look of spotted metal, all by Krylon. For the feet/toes/mouths etc, I've located compatible PVC sheeting that will work quite well for fabricating these parts. My only experience with pipe making was as a visitor to the Moller pipe factory in Hagerstown way back when. While an entirely different procedure (I would love to run the metal trolly over the casting table at least once) the method of forming the sheet into a pipe is similar just using PVC solvent cement instead of a soldering weapon and lead. As these pipes will be used for an artistic façade and to date, I've been focused entirely on the technical aspects, I'm going to see if I can conjure up some sort of artistic abilities in me. While I am loathe to outright copy another installation (save one console, that is) I've seen enough stunning pipework that I've got a few ideas. I will have one issue though, that of fabricating fake trumpets. I'm thinking of finding a broken clarinet on eBay and using the bell as a form over which to make the ends of the trumpet. Glued to a long PVC pipe of proper diameter, it may work. Only creating a prototype will tell. The advantage of using PVC vs metal pipes is that not only can I affordably do the work myself, I will also not have the weight issue. Putting 1/2" ply on the end walls is quite a load even for a steel framed structure and additionally hanging boxes full of aluminum or lead pipes on them just might cause structural instability.

Winter if moving in swiftly here in the pacific northwest and with it the rain. So far the new roof on the barn is performing remarkably well. The very next thing to happen out there, even before I start fabricating fake pipes, is having the furnace installed. Notice, I did not say install it myself. :) I'm really anxious to see how it performs by all reports it should be outstanding and knowing that I will be helping to deal with logging waste and at the same time be using a very environmentally friendly unit makes me comfortable with my decision. While electric would be of a zero carbon footprint, all of our electricity is from hydro, it is also one of the most expensive in this area. The least expensive in this area is what I've chosen, a pellet furnace.

So you see, I'm trying to not let too much moss grow under my feet, especially since by whatever grace, I can still use them.

murph

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi there,
I'm glad you're buying a scaffold tower. Much safer for everyone involved. After the (economic) crash, they are quite cheap in this part of the world.
From quite a lot of experience, if you are planning on a footing (i.e. standing at this level) height above 15 feet, avoid the 8x2 towers and go for the 8x4. Much more stable!!!!!!. Also, easier to drag yourself around if on a level floor.
The outriggers can be a pain if you plan to propel yourself from above.
NEVER try this with an 8x2 tower.
With the 8x4, always pull forward (i.e. facing the short section). Never pull to the side.
If an 8x4 goes above 25' or so, don't even try to pull yourself around. Get down and push.

My 2c

Tony

notdefined

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 6:23 pm

Tony,
I haven't seen a 4' wide one, hence the outriggers. There is no way that I would attempt to move the scaffold whilst on it as I seem to be a bit of a klutz as evidenced by the ladder fall. Even though I'm 64, I still do not have difficulty climbing so going up and down to move the scaffold won't be much of an issue. The scaffolds I'm looking at are a total of 12' x 2' prior to adding the 2' outriggers. This is something I should have done from the very start and I would have avoided flunking out of flying school! :lol:

mrkniz

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 7:01 pm

Dear Notdefined: The best news is that you're functional. I have thought about you so many times, wondering how you were getting along. I'm so happy that you can continue with your project even if it's on a more limited basis for the time being. Do take everybody's advice about scaffolding: besides the practicality of their suggestions, it really just show that they care, as do I. Best regards for a continued and full recovery. I do want to come to see Bach's Barn.

notdefined

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 8:36 pm

So, you are from Sussex? I grew up down in Gloucester county, Franklin Township in a spit of a town Malaga. :D I am taking what people suggest very seriously as well as the people I interact with out here in my even tinier town of Naselle. Even though I mention about the scaffold, it will be quite some time before I attempt any work that might require it. In fact, the fellow who took care of installing the concrete floor, putting on the new roof and insulating the building will be out this week to talk about doing the work I had planned to do. Everyone in this town heard about what happened before I even got home from the overnight hospital stay and they are watching me like a hawk. They also want to see this project completed so I suspect that in addition to paid help, there will be volunteers as well. It is after all, not just for my own selfish use, but for this community that I am doing the conversion. The talents that exist here a phenomenal for such a small place and I want to do my part to nurture them and encourage them. Isn't that what we are supposed to do as musicians? If it isn't, then at least it is what this singer is going to do. It is time to pay it forward.

Oh and I am well aware of the outpouring of care and support that has emanated from the folks on this forum. While I live 6 miles from nowhere, my doors will always be open to our Hauptwerkian friends, organists and those with aspirations in this area.

RichardW

PostTue Oct 21, 2014 4:53 pm

fabricating fake trumpets

Perhaps a visit to your local florist for something of a different "organic" nature is a possibility?

Richard

notdefined

PostTue Oct 21, 2014 6:45 pm

Oh, now those are interesting! Thank you Richard.
Next

Return to General discussion