It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:58 am

Theatre Organs

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

engrssc

Theatre Organs

PostThu Feb 12, 2015 3:27 am

I have a quote from Jim Henry, creator of MidiTzer, which probably applies to all of us in some way or another. Back in April of 2006, Jim wrote:

I don't think there is another musical instrument
that even comes close to organs in terms of the
strange lore that surrounds the instrument.

It is a magnet for every musician with
engineering pretensions and also every
engineer with musical pretensions.

The theatre organ is their love child.

I know many of us came to Hauptwerk after experiencing MidiTzer and some even from the Schober days.

Rgds,
Ed

amun

Re: Theatre Organs

PostThu Feb 12, 2015 4:28 am

AFAI remember MidiTzer was the first and one and only with two clicks Download-Install-Play-VTPO. The brilliant simplicity of its design makes it possible for everyone interested to test a VTPO within ten minutes - by mouse or computer keyboard - and if fascinated to connect it to a full sized MIDI - 3-manual Master-Konsole , 2nd Touch included.

I can't imagine a better means for a first step into the fascinating world of playing TPOs, be it V or real.

@engrssc,
weren't you one of the prime movers?

amun :wink:

engrssc

PostThu Feb 12, 2015 9:23 am

amun wrote:@engrssc, weren't you one of the prime movers?

Not sure I could actually move a TPO, my Rodgers 340 was quite a chore weighing in at over 800#.

But in answer to your question, I came "on board" with MidiTzer very early in it's existence and promoted it (still do) as a great VTPO. With model 216, it is, as you said, a model of a very easy to use piece of software. When the 3M, model 260 was launched, I received coveted Opus 7, one of the first releases. I still play it on occasion. With my setup can play the original Rodgers on one manual, MidiTzer on a second manual and a Hauptwerk organ on the third, mixing and playing them all together. Some unique sounds from that combination.

BTW, Jim Henry's day job as a lawyer, plus his work with MidiTzer and being very active in the restoration of the real Wurlitzer 216 made for a very busy guy. Unfortunately, I haven't contributed much to MidiTzer of late, just not enough hours. I tell my wife I know I won't live long enough to complete all the projects on my to-do list, but I try best I can.

Rgds,
Ed

puffernutter

PostFri Feb 13, 2015 11:20 am

Ed
I would agree with Jim Henry, except that speaking as an engineer (making miniature steam locomotives) I like to think I have aspirations to being a musician rather than pretensions.
Andrew

engrssc

PostFri Feb 13, 2015 11:42 am

puffernutter wrote:I would agree with Jim Henry, except that speaking as an engineer (making miniature steam locomotives) I like to think I have aspirations to being a musician rather than pretensions.

Go for it (the idea of being a musician). "Everything is possible until you quit". - my dad's words. :D

Rgds,
Ed

amun

PostSun Feb 15, 2015 3:13 am

Unfortunately, I haven't contributed much to MidiTzer of late...

Ed,

but still the MidiTzer Forum, although being not very busy since its "update" to a new skin, is an extraordinarily good knowledge base, which covers almost all issues related to VTPOs - limited to the capabilties of MidiTzer.

Although designed about 10 years ago it has still the potential to be used as a "VTO" Midi-Console without VPs.
Here an example:Years ago Joe Hardy distributed a VTPO Sample Set (sampled from real TOs) for free in *.gig format, which was considerably better than the original samples in SF format. At that time the *.gig format could be reproduced by a Sample Player called Gigastudio*, which in our case was controlled by the Midi Output of Miditzer. The result was a sound quality and realism which came near to Hauptwerk V2 - for free.
* http://www.buildorbuy.org/gigastudio25.html

Another example of the outstanding engagement of members of the MidiTzer community is the Linux Version of the MidiTzers by Graham "moonskin" or the thorough discussion of 2nd Touch hardware solutions.

Rgds,
amun, MidiTzer SP 260 Opus 8 owner. :!: :wink:

mdyde

PostSun Feb 15, 2015 5:17 am

Anyway, gentlemen, I think these discussions are probably best continued on MidiTzer's own forum, if you wouldn't mind. They're getting quite a long way off the topic of Hauptwerk!
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostMon Feb 16, 2015 1:57 pm

Had an interesting evening - last. We went out to dinner with some friends. Just after the Bloomin' Onions were served, one of the fellas asked me "How is your Hauptwerk organ project coming along?" Caught me a little of guard because I wouldn't have thought I would have heard much, if anything about H/W from him. His "thing" is sports, local Little League coach, hockey referee, etc. Turns out his wife is a good friend of a local church organist who is a Hauptwerk fan. Nice to hear that when Hauptwerk is mentioned among friends these days that we don't get the "Hauptwerk, what's that?" :)

The conversation followed as to how I got involved with organs, both classical and theatre. (I'm leaning 50/50 in favor of either). Mentioned I started with a Hammond B3, later a 4M Austin, and then at a pizza place where I met Walt Strony. Obviously fell right in with Hauptwerk because a person can have basically so many different organs to play. Never found it esp hard to get to play a church instrument, but a TPO is a little different. Maybe that's why I have my Rodgers 340 which can also double very nicely as a classical instrument.

BTW, the preceding is not a paid ad for Hauptwerk, just my humble thoughts. 8) :wink:

Rgds,
Ed. .

Return to General discussion