It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:16 am

Modified St. Annes Moseley

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Amos Goldie

Modified St. Annes Moseley

PostFri Mar 21, 2003 5:48 pm

I've modified the St. Annes Moseley organ with the following changes:

1) Extended the range of the pedals to 32 notes. (I've created 2 new .wav files for each of the Pedal stops).
2) Increased the number of General and Divisional pistons to 10 per manual, including tutti and cancel buttons for each manual as well as the generals.
3) Added a Great Octave coupler
4) Made slight volume adjustments to individual stops (decreased Open Diapason Small 8, increased Pedal Trombone 16)
5) Made a dramatic adjustment to the Swell Oboe 8 & Swell Rohrflute 8 stops to be used as solo stops.
6) Made the Great Dulciana 8 available on the Swell as well.
7) Re-mapped the keyboard shortcuts, making it (for me, at least) easier to trigger while playing.

Following should be a screenshot:

If anyone would be interested in having the .zip file containing the .organ file and the 14 .wav files (for the added pedal notes), I would be willing to share (free, of course). I only need to find somewhere to post the 4.9MB .zip file.

A caution:

The Midi Control numbers won't work well until someone can explain to me how to map the various stops & keys to a midi keyboard (yes, I've read the FAQs)

You may need to decrease the overall organ volume to 35 to avoid distortion from levels being too high when all the stops are pulled. I tried reducing the amplitude within the .organ file, but I got an error message on trying to load it into Hauptwerk ("A pipe failed to load").

I also generated a few 32' Pedal stops (Trombone 32 and Open Diapason 32), but they didn't play well on my cheap speakers, so I removed them.

One question: If I use the same set of .wavs on two seperate stops (ie: I've loaded Dulciana 8 onto both the Great and the Swell), does Hauptwerk load it twice into RAM, thereby increasing the memory required to load the organ? -- The reason I ask is that I would like to preserve the original Swell Oboe 8, Clarinet 8, and Rohrflute 8, while also adding increased-volume versions of these stops as Solo Oboe, Solo Clarinet, and Solo Flute, respectively, without doubling the RAM used for these three stops. Anyone know (Martin)?

Hope someone will find this organ useful/interesting.

-Amos Goldie

mdyde

Midi control numbers, AmplitudeLevel etc.

PostSat Mar 22, 2003 5:52 am

The StopControlMIDIKeyNumber settings for any drawstop (switch) control should simply be unique. They specify the MIDI note numbers that will control the drawstop from MIDI/MIDIfied organs using the 'stop control MIDI input' system.

I normally start the numbering at 36 (the lowest note number on a 5-octave keyboard) and number them sequentially upwards from there, following a logical scheme such as the order in which they are laid out on the screen.

In actual fact, most people that use the stop control system would have to edit them again anyway, so that the stops respond to the note numbers that their organ tabs/switches send. Plus, if you have a 'Trumpet 8' tab on your console, it is useful to be able to assign the St. Anne's Trumpet 8 to that switch.

You can try it out by simply setting the stop control MIDI input system to respond to one of you keyboards - that's also useful for checking the assignments in .organ files.

I intend to make mapping console controls to .organ objects much more flexible in Hauptwerk v2.0, so that it won't be necessary for users to edit the .organ files at all, but for the moment that's how it works.

Pistons (buttons) have a MIDIProgramChangeNumber setting in the .organ files. Most pistons on organ consoles send MIDI 'program change' messages, and this setting attaches buttons to those controls. Again, users may have to change it to match their hardware, but if you start the numbering of divisionals at 1 for each division, there is a good chance that the assignment will be correct.

Make sure that general combinations and reversible pistons do not overlap the program change numbers assigned to any divisionals, but divisionals for different divisions may share the same number. The reason is that program change messages for divisionals are always listened for on the same MIDI input device and channel as the division manual's note on/off messages, hence the program change messages are routed to the correct division.

However, MIDI program change messages for generals and reversible pistons are listened for on ALL active MIDI input devices and channels, so they must be unique throughout the whole organ.

In practice, I normally number the MIDIProgramChangeNumber settings upwards from 1 on each division (e.g. 1-10 here) and then number generals above that range (11-20), and finally reversible pistons above that (21+).

On organs that have only a few stops, a useful trick is to add reversible pistons for each drawstop and turn off their Displayed setting. That means that people can flip stop states with buttons on their consoles. Some users prefer that, certainly for use with MIDI sequencers.

Again, I aim to make the system more flexible in v2.0.

I've checked the overall AmplitudeLevel setting and, as you point out, it doesn't work! Aplogies for that - I've broken that somewhere along the line, and I've added it to the known bugs page.

If two pipes specify the same sample file, it will be loaded twice, consuming twice as much memory. The main reasons that you might want to do that are:

- to allow a different AmplitudeLevel to be specified for each stop
- to allow pipes to sound twice (unlike the strictly-modelled pipe borrowing behaviour)

If you email the .organ and .zip to me, I'll put it on the website if you like.

Hope that helps.

Martin Dyde.

Bach-Wannabe

Re: Modified St. Annes Moseley

PostMon Mar 24, 2003 12:54 am

I can't wait to try it out!! But please put the 32' stops back in. I've been waiting to try some out. :)

Amos Goldie

32' stops ready to e-mail.

PostMon Mar 24, 2003 12:12 pm

I've tinkered some more with the organ.

The original Rohrflute & Oboe are now back in, with the addition of Solo Flute, Oboe, and Clarinet. (bringing the total # of swell stops to 17)

32' stops (Open Diapason Large 32 and Trombone 32) have been re-edited & are ready to use. I did EQ, noise filtering, and other adjustments to the bottom octave of the 32' stops (they are simply derived from existing St. Annes Moseley stops) and am much happier with the results.
Like real 32' stops, however, they want to be used sparingly and supported by full registration.

I also increased the volume of the 4' Pedal stop, to provide a solo stop for the pedals without having to couple from one of the manuals.

I think I can e-mail all the .wavs and the organ file as an attachment to anyone who is interested. (Click PM to contact me & leave me an e-mail address to send it to)

Amos Goldie

PostWed Mar 26, 2003 7:21 am

This forum doesn't allow editing (?), so I will post this edit as a new message.
The file is too large to share via e-mail.
Meanwhile, Martin has pointed out some rough flaws in the sound that I need to take care of, so I won't be sharing the file.
He may eventually place a distant cousin to the .organ file on the hauptwerk main site - it will use the simulated-stereo sounds & won't have a full pedalboard. I think it may retain the Great Octave coupler, which gives a much clearer sound than the existing 4' and 2' stops, so it may still be of some use.

Return to General discussion