It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:30 pm

About Ken´s book

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

profeluisegarcia

About Ken´s book

PostWed Jul 08, 2015 6:20 pm

Any musician entering into HW will encounter a fascinating and also very complex world, notwithstanding the new tutorials and HW instructions manual.That happened to myself and doubtless to newcomers most of which -I think- start with the free edition.

If I had had Ken´s book at that time everything had been more easy and more encouraging (he sent me months ago some drafts).

So, I think it would be a gain-gain deal if the existence of Ken´s book is displayed permanently in the Forum/Free edition support/Announcements.
:? :?

Antoni Scott

Re: About Ken´s book

PostTue Jul 14, 2015 4:48 pm

About a year ago I attempted to write a similar book about Hauptwerk, or better, it's impact on the digital organ world. My approach was a little different than Ken's, focusing more or the history of organs starting from pipe organs to reed organs, reed organ hybrids ( i.e. amplified reeds such as the Wurlitzer or Everett Orgatron), electronic organs using rotating tone wheels ( Hammond) , rotating etched optical discs (Compton) , vacuum tubes (valves or oscillators) and finally digital in several forms. The direction of the book was to laud Hauptwerk's contribution to technology and its impact on the organ world for organ enthusiasts that were interested in a low cost alternative to ultra high priced commercially available digital organs. I think there is little argument that Hauptwerk's unprecedented realism rivals anything available. However, I gave up on the project due to the enormous amount of work that was required beyond the vast amount of data I had accumulated. I vastly underestimated how much of a project this would be !!!

This is my opinion only, but I think that Ken's effort to write this book is worthy of compensation rather than being offered as a free edition.

Antoni

kwbmusic

PostTue Jul 14, 2015 5:22 pm

Antoni, you may have misread the above comment. I see it as a suggestion that it be recorded in the Free Edition Forum. the assumption is that most Hauptwerk starters would start at this point and so would be the obvious market to purchase the book.
Keith

JSO

PostWed Jul 15, 2015 4:02 pm

I'm sure what Luis is saying is to maybe create a sticky topic on the announcements or free edition forum to make more people aware of the book's existence, rather than let the regular forum topic fall off the front page where it would gain less exposure.

Antoni Scott

PostWed Jul 15, 2015 5:16 pm

I must have misunderstood. The words "Free Edition" threw me off.
Antoni

Return to General discussion