It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:26 pm

MIDI Note Number, Frequency Table

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

engrssc

Re: MIDI Note Number, Frequency Table

PostSun Jan 24, 2016 5:10 am

steve till wrote:I have always been fascinated by such things. I wonder if anyone has created a real 64 foot stop on a Hauptwerk organ?

And there probably are fewer VPO installations that can do just to actually playing such.

Then in the real world is the Wanamaker.

Rgds,
Ed

telemanr

PostSun Jan 24, 2016 8:07 am

Accidental duplicate post
Last edited by telemanr on Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Enns

telemanr

PostSun Jan 24, 2016 8:07 am

MIDI implementation on an organ just has to trigger physical keys, not pitches. So there is no problem playing the top note on a manual with a 1' stop drawn. After all Middle C on an organ has no set in stone pitch. It depends on what stop is drawn.
Rob Enns

steve till

PostSun Jan 24, 2016 10:16 am

engrssc wrote:Then in the real world is the Wanamaker...

But while the Wanamaker organ has 6 or 7 real 32' stops, it does not have a real 64'.
Only the Atlantic City and the Sydney Town Hall organs have a real 64' all the way down.
Unless someone has built on recently, anyone know?

engrssc

PostSun Jan 24, 2016 10:36 am

Sorry, didn't mean to imply the Wanamaker having a 64' stop, only pointing to the magnitude of that playable instrument.

Rgds,
Ed

TheOrganDoc

Formeraly: MIDI Note Number, Frequency Table

PostSun Jan 24, 2016 4:39 pm

I used to test commercial speakers, after rebuilding them,
from 6 HZ up to make sure the Voice coils were not rubbing on the pole pieces.
BUT, sitting open there, the fundamental 8 HZ pitch was definitely not noticeable
but the cone was jumping up and down violently !

One would need a Huge tuned cabinet, and lots of long throw speakers driving it,
to even approach the effect of a 64' Pipe !

That is only necessary in Huge Hall's !
"Certainly not Living Room's" !
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

engrssc

Re: Formeraly: MIDI Note Number, Frequency Table

PostSun Jan 24, 2016 5:24 pm

TheOrganDoc wrote:but the cone was jumping up and down violently !

Supposed to be able to flip a silver dollar (whatever that is). Maybe with inflation, a quarter? :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

organtechnology

PostSun Jan 24, 2016 11:40 pm

The Thigpen Rotary subwoofer produces an 5Hz note that can be felt/heard for about $20,000.
http://www.eminent-tech.com/RWbrochure.htm
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

mumblecake

PostTue Jan 26, 2016 5:39 am

steve till wrote:I also find it interesting that midi notes tops out at 127, which is a G, and therefore cannot go all the way to the top C of a one foot stop. Yes, rare on organs, but they do exist. But they do go all the way down to note 0, which is 64 foot CCCCC, which is only found on two rare pipe organs in the world.

I have always been fascinated by such things. I wonder if anyone has created a real 64 foot stop on a Hauptwerk organ?

Hi Steve,

Midi as such is oblivious to pitch. You press the lowest note on your keyboard which will result in your midi controller to send out a NoteOn/NoteOff message on midi note 36 (this is the same for manuals and pedal board even though the "normal" pitch for the pedal board is considered to be 16' rather than 8'). The midi message arrives at the computer/Hauptwerk. Now to my understanding even Hauptwerk is oblivious to pitch (mostly at least ... tuning of samples is obviously possible). The midi note is only converted to pitch once Hauptwerk starts playing a sample.

You asked about a 64' stop. The Palace of the Arts, Budapest (Inspired Acoustics) has to my knowledge the only virtual 64' stop available (which is a resultant stop). Either way the lowest 8Hz note will be played by playing the lowest key on the pedalboard which will fire a midi event on midi note 36 ... no midi note 0 will be involved on any step of the way.

Similarly if you play the highest note on your manual this will cause midi note 96 to fire. Regardless of whether you play a 16' stop or a 1/2' stop (does something like this exist?).

I'm trying to get across that it doesn't really make sense to think of midi notes in pitch when you start looking at higher or lower harmonics in organ stops.

Midi was a convenient standard developed to cover all conventional keyboards, which includes pianos (88 keys) as well as organs (61 keys). A range of 0-127 was therefore fully sufficient.

Best regards

Mathis

telemanr

PostTue Jan 26, 2016 8:22 am

I also tried earlier in this thread to make the same point and was ignored. Perhaps with two people saying the same thing it will be understood. Namely that with organs it's the key that is pressed that MIDI has to address, not the pitch of the note. MIDI note 36 would produce a 128’ pedal sound if that were the stop available and drawn.
Rob Enns

Timo

PostWed Jan 27, 2016 4:49 pm

steve till wrote:But while the Wanamaker organ has 6 or 7 real 32' stops, it does not have a real 64'.
Only the Atlantic City and the Sydney Town Hall organs have a real 64' all the way down.
Unless someone has built on recently, anyone know?

There is one interesting instrument built recently on 2012 in northern Sweden called Acusticum Organ. It situates in small city Piteå (140 km south of arctic circle) and it is owned by Luleå University of Technology. It has one 64 feet rank in pedal called Infrabass as can be seen in http://www.orgelbau-woehl.de/pite%C3%A5.html. I couldn't find any information if this really goes down to 8 Hz but this is supposed to be the largest organ in Scandinavia. One of the specialties of this instrument is a harmonics section consisting of 53 ranks of overtones. Enjoy!

Timo

amun

PostFri Jan 29, 2016 6:00 am

This excellent site provides a lot of information about Organ Oddities and World Records, sound examples included. PSE find there also the two organs with real 64" ranks.
http://www.die-orgelseite.de/kurioses_e.htm

Rgds,
amun :wink:

TheOrganDoc

PostFri Jan 29, 2016 2:10 pm

Sooooooooo,
----Midi note "0" or "1",----
------Would play a 512 foot Pipe sound,
of about 2 HZ.----- :roll:
(I would think the pressure wave would shake the wax out of everyone's ears) ++ + :twisted:

[Comments]?
Mel
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............
Previous

Return to General discussion