It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:32 pm

Hauptwerk in the future ?

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Trenchardb

Re: Hauptwerk in the future ?

PostFri Mar 25, 2016 2:06 am

Just a thought... I imagine that the bottleneck in the computer (from a speed point of view) is the hard drive. I use sata ssd's, which significantly boosts the PC boot time, and the time to load a sample set (as much as 4 or 5 times faster). But it occurred to me recently that there is an even better option. There are ssd's which can be connected directly via the pcie bus, which boast speeds up to 3 or 4 times faster than ssd's connected via sata. Does anyone have any experience of using such devices? It may be that this technology could approach the kind of boot speed we are looking for?

mdyde

PostFri Mar 25, 2016 4:31 am

Trenchardb wrote:Just a thought... I imagine that the bottleneck in the computer (from a speed point of view) is the hard drive. I use sata ssd's, which significantly boosts the PC boot time, and the time to load a sample set (as much as 4 or 5 times faster). But it occurred to me recently that there is an even better option. There are ssd's which can be connected directly via the pcie bus, which boast speeds up to 3 or 4 times faster than ssd's connected via sata. Does anyone have any experience of using such devices? It may be that this technology could approach the kind of boot speed we are looking for?

Although the storage (SSD/hard-drive) is the bottleneck for Hauptwerk organ loading speeds for most PCs, at some point (with the latest SSDs with extreme read-rates) the CPU will become the bottleneck: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14683&p=109267#p109254
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

romcat

PostFri Mar 25, 2016 2:57 pm

Trenchardb wrote:... There are ssd's which can be connected directly via the pcie bus, which boast speeds up to 3 or 4 times faster than ssd's connected via sata. Does anyone have any experience of using such devices? ...

Yes, I have one, a Plextor M6E. It's about 2 years old, so it's not state-of-the-art, it's rated at about 700 MB/s read speed. The current crop of 4-lane PCI express SSDs using MLC chips rate around 2200 MB/s, almost 3 times the speed of what I'm using. I would love to try one of those bleeding-edge drives, maybe if the current one breaks :mrgreen:

But I can offer some statistics I get with the current drive.

The Hauptwerk activity log produces statistics each time an organ is loaded. I'm seeing an average read speed of 531 MB/s, using the line that prefixes "Sample loader: approx. avg. data read rate during disk reader activity:"

Load times for the organs I use most often:

MtCarmel Skinner: cache size 4138.40 MB, average load time 9.26 seconds.

Notre Dame de Metz Cavaille Coll: cache size 6988.78 MB, average load time 14.50 seconds.

Salisbury Willis Volume 3 Wet: cache size 14354.79 MB, average load time 28.91 seconds.
Previous

Return to General discussion