It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:22 pm

High pitched stops undulation

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Re: High pitched stops undulation

PostFri May 20, 2016 2:49 pm

A quick update... The two stops that seem to be causing the issue are mainly the III Mixture and the III Glock Chen 1' and again, it's only way up around the 5th octave. It's a combination of minor octave out of tune and more so seems to be an out of tune situation between signals. I think I still had water in my ears this morning :mrgreen: that or those notes are so darn high I'm going to need to have my dog reference them for me instead as it's really tough to hear a difference when tuning them! :lol: The 1' Glock also needed a bit of amplitude adjustment on a few notes as it was really jumping out. In any case it's going to be a bit of a hunt for the offending notes and compare tuning mainly between signals.

On a side note (no pun intended), :mrgreen: I tried equal tuning, random de-tune set to zero, no good, me no like that at all. Ruins the sound of the set.

Marc

jerrynazard

PostFri May 20, 2016 10:34 pm

On a side note (no pun intended), I tried equal tuning, random de-tune set to zero, no good, me no like that at all. Ruins the sound of the set.

Marc,

Indeed, I just tried it with Rotterdam. Better in tune. But boring, even with random de-tune at 50%.

-Jerry

organsRgreat

PostSun May 22, 2016 5:24 am

This is probably irrelevant, but since no-one else has mentioned it – how any speakers are you using? The problem just might be intermodulation distortion within a speaker or pair of speakers. One of the reasons for using as many channels as possible in a Hauptwerk system is to reduce intermodulation distortion – in a pipe organ the sounds mix in the air, so it can't happen. Are you able to set up a split point so that some of the higher notes go to different speakers?

TheOrganDoc

PostSun May 22, 2016 3:13 pm

By the way,
If two Pipes even are slightly out of tune with each other,
they warble very profoundly, !
"this is how all Pipes are tuned. :roll:

If you play one note on any organ,
and try to hum the same pitch,
you will clearly hear this undulation.

This is a most normal effect,
when two or more notes are closely tuned to each other ! :wink:

If you play thirds, or Sixth's you will get the same effect every time.

Voice the offending notes down in level a bit,
so they don't annoy you so much ! :?
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

1961TC4ME

PostMon May 23, 2016 11:15 am

Hi again all,

First, to answer the question on how many speakers, I am currently using 8 separate audio channels, so 8 speakers or 4 pairs plus 2 subs, one sub on the pedal and one I direct 8' and 16' from the manuals. As I mentioned, I have pin-pointed this very minor problem to be a tuning issue between signals and a few notes up very high that are either a bit out of tune or are simply too loud and lowering their amplitude along with a little tuning has much improved the situation, I just need to spend a little more time with it now that I've zeroed in on the situation.

The big thing I want to stress here is I don't want anyone getting any ideas because of what I've reported here which is quite minor, and it seems every set needs some tweaking anyways, that any of this reflects negatively on the Dingelsteadt set. It is a very good sounding set I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a top shelf romantic organ. The sound from my 8 speakers strategically placed front and rear and routed the way I have things is nothing short of awesome! I can honestly say I have yet to encounter another set that rivals this one in sound quality and realism, it is a pleasure to play and produces a very big smile on my face every time I hit the keys.

Marc

scottherbert

PostMon May 23, 2016 12:53 pm

O.K., I hate to be a dingleberry here, but perhaps there is no problem at all and the Glockchen is doing as it was intended? I do not have the sampleset, so I have not heard it, but I have heard and played organs with unison stops with the name "Glock" as a prefix, i.e. Glockton, or Glockleinton. Glock meaning bell, they were (apparently) purposely built to 'cipher', thus creating harmonics similar to ringing bells.

As I said, I do not know, but I just wanted to throw that out there for consideration.
~Scott
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"
Previous

Return to General discussion