It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:15 am

Tudor Organ

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Tudor Organ

PostMon Jun 06, 2016 10:54 am

While listening to the most recent broadcast of Pipedreams, one of these was featured. Kind of an interesting instrument / story, and as described has a rather full sound for it's size. I dig the glassy bell like sound and tuning as well. 8) Check out the video in the link. I'd just about be tempted to purchase a sample set if one of these was available.

http://hupalorepasky.com/tudor-organ/

Marc

Eric Sagmuller

Re: Tudor Organ

PostMon Jun 06, 2016 2:23 pm

That's really cool how the guy is just lifting up on the bellows slowly and it keeps playing like it had a blower. I wonder how much the acoustics is affecting the sound however, it does sound fuller than one would expect. I just listened to the end of the video, and there is a huge reverb fadeout.

Eric

1961TC4ME

PostMon Jun 06, 2016 2:49 pm

Eric Sagmuller wrote:That's really cool how the guy is just lifting up on the bellows slowly and it keeps playing like it had a blower. I wonder how much the acoustics is affecting the sound however, it does sound fuller than one would expect. I just listened to the end of the video, and there is a huge reverb fadeout.

Eric

Hi Eric,

Yeah, the bellows thing is quite interesting, never seen anything quite like that one. Same goes for the recording played on Pipedreams, it was in a rather large acoustic which made it sound really cool. Because of the acoustic, the sound impression to me was that it was a much larger instrument and I was kind of expecting to hear the organist break into a much larger registration that never happened, then I looked it up and saw why. Still pretty neat though.

Marc

johnh

PostMon Jun 06, 2016 10:30 pm

'MEMCHU' (Memorial Church) at Stanford is home to 5 1/2 organs depending on how you count. It has a wonderful accoustic which certainly benefitted the Tudor Organ.

Here's a floor plan of the Church with the locations of the audio recorder and the video camera noted:

The audio was recorded with a Core Sound High End Binaural microphone set feeding an M-Audio MicroTrack. No processing was done.

A page describing all the instruments is here:

http://web.stanford.edu/group/religiouslife/cgi-bin/wordpress/memorial-church/history/memorial-church-organs/#Brinegar

(I count the Murray Harris as 1.5 organs due to the small echo organ on the other end of the building from the main body of the instrument)

---john.

Antoni Scott

PostTue Jun 07, 2016 2:04 pm

About 60 years ago I came across an ancient pipe organ located in a small English church in Great Baddow. The church was very old and the headstones in the adjacent graveyard had dates on them going back to the 1600's. The organ had about six stops with a short compass manual of less than four octaves. The straight pedal-board was permanently coupled to the manual.
The stops did not have ft. designations on them. I do remember that it had an Open Diapason, a Stopped Diapason ( probably 8ft pitch), a Flute and a Fifteenth. I not seen that many organs that do not display the speaking length of the pipe. The sound was absolutely delightful being clear and bright, especially the Flute.

I'm not sure if this organ is still present in this church or when it was installed. But by the date on the headstones and the age of the church it could have very well been from the Tudor age.
Antoni

Return to General discussion