It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:24 am

Running multiple sample sets at the same time

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

mdyde

Re: Running multiple sample sets at the same time

PostSat Jul 09, 2016 12:54 pm

csw900 wrote:I have made a discovery which explains why leo037chris never ran two Hauptwerk
organs simultaneously. It cannot be done, the second one simply does not load.

That's correct -- you can only have one instance of Hauptwerk running at a time on a computer (by design, since it needs exclusive access to the audio/MIDI devices and settings).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

scottherbert

PostSat Jul 09, 2016 3:11 pm

scottherbert wrote:I recall Leo staing that he was using Prospectums Anloo on 1 manual, and either another organ or the Anloo again on the other manual, by loading it on a second computer, because he found the second manual of the Anloo too limited.

He was a creative man, indeed! He is missed.

~Scott

As I said above, he used 2 computers and he DID run 2 organs at once. One on each computer! Search his posts.

~Scott
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

engrssc

PostSat Jul 09, 2016 4:58 pm

In a way, this almost is a forward/backward step. Could be a new dance step? :o :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

csw900

PostSun Jul 10, 2016 5:48 am

Hi

If you read my post again I said that you COULD run two Hauptwerks on two
separate computers.

I researched leo037chris only on youtube and never found any evidence of his running
two Hauptwerks at the same time either on one or two computers. (That does not mean
its not there -- only that I did not find it.)

I particularly liked his Hauptwerk Player Organ https://youtu.be/bUux-LwSUWA -- shows
what can be done with CODM.

csw900

scottherbert

PostMon Jul 11, 2016 5:30 pm

O.K., I found 1 of Leos discussions of how he used 2 Macs, but I don't know how to quote it here. So it is in the "Instruments" category titled "Anloo".

~Scott

csw900

PostTue Jul 12, 2016 3:13 am

Hi Scott

I think I may have found the quote by CHRIS 037

"I have just been trying the Anloo organ through the second Mac Pro with a different speaker grouping. Instead of this: 6 stereo channels, 1 stereo channel for PEDAL, and 1 stereo channel for reverb (or 16 outputs) as mentioned above, I have tried this: one mono group of 12 speakers, 1 mono group of 2 speakers for PEDAL, and the 1 stereo out for reverb."

If this is what you are talking about he does not say that he played two Anloo's TOGETHER on two
separate Mac's. He is just saying that he has another Anloo setup on another computer -- there is nothing
special about that!!

I listened to his sample of the Anloo playing -- it's not my type of organ or music, in other words I
was not impressed. Too much chiffing. A properly adjusted organ should not do this. (This may raise
an eyebrow or two by enthusiasts who think a pipe organ SHOULD chiff!!)

csw900

scottherbert

PostTue Jul 12, 2016 9:20 am

Yes, indeed, there is nothing special about it, but that is how he ran 2 different organs at once. The quote I reposted on the "Instruments" forum has him talking about how he added the Rabstein organ as a 3rd manual to the Anloo with the same technique. Any other '2 organ at one time' recordings he did were, no doubt, done with this technique as well, or he blended them using the CODM.

~Scott

csw900

PostTue Jul 12, 2016 9:55 am

Hi again Scott

I think I have now found the other quote by narrowing the search down a lot so I got only one page of results.

"On another subject: I just received the Rabstejn/Strelou organ from Sonus Paradisi. Again, the price was just too tempting. I haven't tried out the surround version so far. More about that some other time. But, I was right in thinking the dry version would be an interesting match to the Anloo organ. So, this evening I installed the dry Rabstejn on that second Mac Pro and voiced it to match the Anloo. The result was quite satisfying as a third manual! It's a somewhat smaller organ but does have some fine sounding pipe ranks."

This hints that he may have played the Anloo and Rabstejn together. There is no reason to believe
it would not work. So he may have been the first to do it.

This is the kind of thing I am suggesting multiOrgan could do but without needing the complexity
of the second computer. multiOrgan and Hauptwerk will both run together on the same computer
and both can receive their inputs simultaneously from loopBe. This will work best on a Windows
computer because latency will differ between the two organs on a Mac.

csw900
Previous

Return to General discussion