It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:24 am

Running multiple sample sets at the same time

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Wwhel21

Running multiple sample sets at the same time

PostWed Jun 15, 2016 12:10 pm

I've seen a number of posts recently on YouTube and on a Facebook Organist group where folks using Hauptwerk load and play several instruments simultaneously on a single console. For example, Hereford on the Great manual and some other sample set on the Choir and Swell. I'm wondering how that is set up - is it through a CODM process, or via multiple computers and multiple Hauptwerk licenses? I realize this takes a lot of tweaking through the advanced voicing option to make it work, but the sound is very impressive!

Thanks,
Bill

josq

Re: Running multiple sample sets at the same time

PostWed Jun 15, 2016 1:30 pm

Yes, this is usually done using the CODM, involved but potentially very rewarding indeed.

It might very well be that you have seen one of the videos of our valued forum member Chris, who sadly passed away recently.

profeluisegarcia

PostWed Jun 15, 2016 3:07 pm

josq wrote:Yes, this is usually done using the CODM, involved but potentially very rewarding indeed.

For layman in computer affairs, as many of us are, CODM seems to be an unsurmountable task in order to make composite organs.
Perhaps it could be a win-win relationship to know what some fellow haupwerkians have done about this, so we could buy his product.

Luis

Wwhel21

PostWed Jun 15, 2016 7:16 pm

It seems CODM results in one organ with stops merged from several others. The postings I'm referring to show two monitors with for example the complete Hereford on one, and the complete Skinner on the other. Now that I think of it, maybe I answered my own question, as it seems like two full organs - each on their own computer - are creating the joyful noise.

engrssc

PostWed Jun 15, 2016 8:38 pm

Slightly different, but I many times run MidiTzer and Hauptwerk software simultaneously on my Mac Pro without any issues. Hand registering can be interesting, even with touch screens, but using pistons works better.

Rgds,
Ed

ludu

PostThu Jun 16, 2016 8:17 am

josq wrote:It might very well be that you have seen one of the videos of our valued forum member Chris, who sadly passed away recently.

I am very sad to learn that. Leo Chris was such a kind man and providing us so many interesting analyses...
Luc

josq

PostThu Jun 16, 2016 8:38 am

You can find the announcement here... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14911

scottherbert

PostThu Jun 16, 2016 11:10 am

I recall Leo staing that he was using Prospectums Anloo on 1 manual, and either another organ or the Anloo again on the other manual, by loading it on a second computer, because he found the second manual of the Anloo too limited.

He was a creative man, indeed! He is missed.

~Scott
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

jab8283

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 4:12 pm

While I'm not sure how he does it, the owner of Uniflex takes the individual ranks of every sample set he owns including MidiTzer and places them in a single file within his computer. If he doesn't like a rank of a particular sample set, with a couple clicks of his mouse he replaces that rank with one he likes seamlessly. His setup is a full wind driven pipe organ augmented with digital sample sets. If one of his wind driven ranks malfunctions during performance, within seconds and simple clicks of the mouse, he can by-pass the wind driven ranks and replace with digital counterpart and no one is the wiser. He can do it the other way too by by-passing a digital rank and replacing with wind driven pipe rank. I don't know how he does it because his hands move too fast for me to keep up with. I've seen him do things with his setup that are simply mind-blowing. Not only does he work within ranks, he also works with individual or groups of notes. If a single note is ciphering on the wind driven pipe organ, he can shut it down and replace that one note with a digital one all with just a couple clicks of the computer mouse.

While I'm here, I just found out about Leo Christopherson (Chris_037). I've conversed with him a few times in the past. He will be deeply missed in the Hauptwerk community. At least many of his contributions are still available on Contrebombarde to listen to at any time.
Jim Barrow II
Crawfordsville, IN. USA

csw900

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 10:05 am

I see that engrssc claims to have run Miditzer and Hauptwerk simultaneously on
a Mac Pro.

I know that Hauptwerk would have no trouble but I have found that running even one
copy of Miditzer on my iMac does not work. Miditzer is a Windows program and there
IS NO Mac version.

I have tried to run Miditzer under Wine on my iMac and while it loads and "sort of" works
the "M" menu cannot be accessed which makes it rather useless.

There is also a problem with the Wine "midi in" port when trying to play an organ which is
running under Wine --- it suffers from buffer overflow and loses midi events. This means
that the stops do not work properly especially when changing several in quick succession.
This port does work correctly when connecting to the organ via a real midi cable - it is
the virtual connection which does not work properly.

I have produced two Windows organ programs which DO run properly on an iMac under Wine
these are:
1) eplayWin32 which plays Estey and Wurlitzer e-rolls on multiple different organs
2) multiOrgan which simulates multiple different organs and actually produces the
organ sound.

These programs connect to each other via a standard midi port and either a real or
virtual midi cable.

If you use eplayWin32 to play a Miditzer both running on iMac under wine you will experience
all of the problems I have listed above.

Download my programs from my website http://midimusic.github.io

Best of luck,
csw900

engrssc

PostThu Jul 07, 2016 3:53 am

csw900 wrote:I see that engrssc claims to have run Miditzer and Hauptwerk simultaneously on
a Mac Pro.

I should mention that I have Boot Camp installed on my Mac. It's been quite a while since I created this "setup" and I would have to do some research as to how. I do remember it wasn't easy, more of a kludge. Had to do with creating separate partitions on the hard drive, .etc. The bigger issue is that you aren't supposed to be able to run 2 operating systems simultaneously on the same computer.

So net result is when I want to use MidiTzer along with Hauptwerk, I run both programs via the Windows (via Boot Camp) partition.

As a suggestion, it's much easier to do this on a PC.

Here is some "interesting" reading, (and I haven't tried many of the suggestions):

http://www.pcworld.com/article/249059/how_to_install_boot_camp_and_run_windows_on_your_mac.html

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=run%20windows%20on%20a%20mac%20from%20external%20hard%20drive

Rgds,
Ed

TheOrganDoc

PostThu Jul 07, 2016 9:47 am

I have been running my P 3/32 sample set, with no problems along with my "VI Steinway American Grand Piano" samples set, and they both play very well simultaneously, albeit a very long loading time, as the piano itself has I believe 22 separate sampled levels of touch control for each key ! :roll:
I am using virtual Midi, to link the two together !

[Although this is certainly not two organ sample sets playing together !] :wink:
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

csw900

PostThu Jul 07, 2016 1:52 pm

Hi Ed and Hauptwerkers

I am glad you have cleared that up Ed. I cannot see any point in running Windows on
a Mac even from an external hard drive. However I am sure that setting up Boot Camp
makes an interesting task for filling in long Winter evenings.

Getting back to the subject of running multiple sample sets simultaneously -- I suggest anyone
interested has a serious look at my multiOrgan program. Running on a reasonably fast Windows
system you can simultaneously run at least 6 copies of multiOrgan. Each copy can be configured
to be either the same or a different organ and each of the resulting 24 manuals can be running
a different sound font. All of the organs can be played simultaneously with negligible latency.

I was surprised myself at how well it works and am thinking of adding some pistons so
it can be played by an organist in addition to playing files!!

If you want to give multiOrgan a bit of exercise try playing the Miditzer 260 sample file
"Ron Reseigh Concert" simultaneously on several (simulated) Miditzer 260's.

csw900

engrssc

PostThu Jul 07, 2016 7:26 pm

csw900 wrote:I am glad you have cleared that up Ed. I cannot see any point in running Windows on
a Mac even from an external hard drive. However I am sure that setting up Boot Camp
makes an interesting task for filling in long Winter evenings.

Agree about (not) running a Windows program on a Mac, I just wanted to see if it could be done and I already had a Mac in place as the H/W computer of choice.

Your program sounds interesting. 8) Looking to learn more about it.

How about using a Wurli band organ for a phone's ring tone? Different songs for different callers? 8) :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

csw900

PostSat Jul 09, 2016 10:24 am

Hi Hauptwerkers

I will leave the Band Organ ring tones to somebody else, it's not a bad idea though.

I have made a discovery which explains why leo037chris never ran two Hauptwerk
organs simultaneously. It cannot be done, the second one simply does not load.

(It is likely that you could run two Hauptwerks simultaneously on two different computers
but playing the two at the same time and mixing the sound outputs would create more
than a few problems.)

I then tried running a Hauptwerk organ as well as my multiOrgan and lo and behold
both run and play along perfectly together. So this is one easy and cost free way to add
some additional spice (e.g. percussion) to your Hauptwerk.

multiOrgan can simulate any Hauptwerk organ -- it just needs the right data entered into
the "options" menu. I have already done St. Annes as an example. If you have a sound
font with the pipes or percussion you want to use along with your Hauptwerk organ
this will do the trick nicely. Note that multiOrgan has the usual midi percussion built
in on fluidsynth channel 10.

I would like to hear from anyone who gets this going.

csw900
Next

Return to General discussion