It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 am

Is Hauptwerk edition 5 on the horizon?

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

amateurorganist

Is Hauptwerk edition 5 on the horizon?

PostSat Jun 25, 2016 9:43 pm

I looked at the news archive and saw that Hauptwerk 4 was released on April 19th, 2011. Last June, there was an update but I was wondering when Hauptwerk 5 is going to be released with all the features users have been requesting for the last five years?

Thanks.

telemanr

Re: Is Hauptwerk edition 5 on the horizon?

PostSat Jun 25, 2016 9:56 pm

Well at least some of what folks have been asking for has been added with updates to 4.
And I'm fairly sure there won't be any announced estimate until the actual date comes along.
Rob Enns

mdyde

PostSun Jun 26, 2016 4:29 am

Hello Greg,

Please see also this post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15047

We don't have any information to give on v5 at this stage -- sorry. It will certainly happen, but please bear in mind that development work has to be fitted in around a support (we have very finite resources) and that developing each new feature often involves a large number of man-hours/weeks/months of work. (It would probably take at least a working lifetime to implement the existing list of enhancement requests single-handedly -- it isn't possible to implement five years' worth of enhancement requests in the one year that has elapsed since the last v4 release, or even in five years, for example.)

Available development time from v4.0.0's release in 2011 to v4.2.1's release in 2015 was spent providing all of the many new features that cumulatively are in in v4.2.1 (all of which were available entirely for free to licensed v4 users). Developing a new major version is several man-years of development work (not counting providing support), and it's only been one year since the last Hauptwerk release (v4.2.1), so v5 will still be some way off yet, I'm afraid. But it will come, and it will be good, so please be patient! We do our best!
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

1961TC4ME

PostSun Jun 26, 2016 9:40 pm

mdyde wrote:Hello Greg,

Please see also this post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15047

We don't have any information to give on v5 at this stage -- sorry. It will certainly happen, but please bear in mind that development work has to be fitted in around a support (we have very finite resources) and that developing each new feature often involves a large number of man-hours/weeks/months of work. (It would probably take at least a working lifetime to implement the existing list of enhancement requests single-handedly -- it isn't possible to implement five years' worth of enhancement requests in the one year that has elapsed since the last v4 release, or even in five years, for example.)

Available development time from v4.0.0's release in 2011 to v4.2.1's release in 2015 was spent providing all of the many new features that cumulatively are in in v4.2.1 (all of which were available entirely for free to licensed v4 users). Developing a new major version is several man-years of development work (not counting providing support), and it's only been one year since the last Hauptwerk release (v4.2.1), so v5 will still be some way off yet, I'm afraid. But it will come, and it will be good, so please be patient! We do our best!

Amen!

Marc

engrssc

PostSun Jun 26, 2016 10:41 pm

Let's have "show of hands" for all those who have implemented (tried) every one of the existing features in the present (latest) H/W version. I must admit I am not one of those who have. Likewise would venture to say every time I read posts (esp from Martin) I learn of many more (of these) features already in place. It's almost like going to a buffet where there is many times more food than I can possibly eat. :lol: A real WOW factor in place here.

Rgds,
Ed

RichardW

PostMon Jun 27, 2016 10:02 am

engrssc wrote:Let's have "show of hands" for all those who have implemented (tried) every one of the existing features in the present (latest) H/W version.

Good question.

Well, let's see, there will be Martin, of course, then, er ...

Perhaps we should wait until someone else has tried every feature before we think about a new version. That should give MDA a bit more time. :)
Richard

1961TC4ME

PostMon Jun 27, 2016 11:05 am

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not complaining, but I can guarantee you if I've used even 2% of the features in Hauptwerk that would be a stretch. Hauptwerk as it is can just about make you breakfast, lunch and dinner now, with your choice of sides! :lol:

Of course one of the big things that is most often talked about for a future version is to have some kind of added reverb. To me even that isn't anything I'd be all that interested in since I pick the sets I like with the natural acoustics of the church.... and there are SO many choices in sample sets now that it's become nearly overwhelming, but that's a good thing! 8)

Marc

TheOrganDoc

PostMon Jun 27, 2016 12:59 pm

I don't know if I have even utilized 2% of Hauptwerk, 4's capability's, :D
the only thing that I cried for, for many years,
I have provided for, with the installation of my Lexicon MX400 Reverb,
(albeit, with many adjustments) ! :roll:

"I proudly proclaim Hauptwerk as the best way to have a beautiful Pipe-like Organ,
In your, or My Living Room" !

Thank you Martin and Brett !
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

Tweedle_Dee

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 11:11 am

My question is: will there be another summer sale on Hauptwerk 4 this year? I've decided I NEED the advanced version. That should keep me happy (and occupied) for quite a while.

dhm

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 5:45 pm

Hauptwerk/MDA sales are only ever announced when (if) they start.
Prior notice is not usually given.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

162_Ranks

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 8:33 am

I largely agree about the feature set being complete enough for my purposes. I'd like to see just a few usability improvements, some of which I have submitted as requests, some of which I just dream about but perhaps should submit.

Is there a browse-able database of pending suggestions so I don't duplicate and create more work for MDA?

mdyde

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 5:04 am

162_Ranks wrote: I'd like to see just a few usability improvements, some of which I have submitted as requests, some of which I just dream about but perhaps should submit.

Is there a browse-able database of pending suggestions so I don't duplicate and create more work for MDA?

Thanks for the thoughts. We no longer list planned/potential enhancements publicly, I'm afraid (since they're potentially valuable to competitors), but suggestions can be submitted here: https://www.hauptwerk.com/forms/suggestions/ , which we'll review and log as appropriate.
Best regards, Martin.

scottherbert

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 7:14 am

Wait, you mean there ARE competitors?

There CAN'T be any competitors!!! There just isn't any competition!!! There is the ONE, and ONLY!!!
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

mdyde

PostThu Jul 07, 2016 3:46 am

Thanks!
Best regards, Martin.

162_Ranks

PostSat Nov 10, 2018 1:48 pm

The last release:

Hauptwerk version: 4.2.1.003
Updated: 06/09/15

Being in software, I know what can happen to products that are under-resourced and thus cannot evolve. Is there anything the community can do to help? Have you considered a kickstarter or the like to hire more development staff?

Brad
Next

Return to General discussion