It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:11 pm

Where can I find a template for Launchpad Overlays?

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

scottherbert

Where can I find a template for Launchpad Overlays?

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 4:54 pm

Is there such a thing, or do I have to make my own? One where I can fill in my own stops. I thought somebody had one.

Thanks,
~Scott
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

Andrew Grahame

Re: Where can I find a template for Launchpad Overlays?

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 5:33 pm

Hi Scott,

I did see you PM - sorry to be so long in replying as I've been dealing with major issues at work. Have sent you a PM.

Andrew

organtechnology

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 5:58 pm

Hi Andrew,

I sent you a PM in early June with the same question. Did you get it?

Hope the work issues are solved. I do know how that goes. :)

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

scottherbert

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 6:50 pm

Thanks Andrew and Ken! :D

~Scott
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

Andrew Grahame

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 8:52 pm

Hi folks,

I just posted a reply but it appears to have vanished into the ether. Here's a second attempt.

I would like to offer the Launchpad template to everyone, by way of a Dropbox link. Also I include links to my Salisbury templates by way of example.

Thomas - sorry to have forgotten your message. I created the template using Adobe Acrobat Pro in a Macbook Pro laptop. I have not created a template for the Launchpad Mini as I don't have one.

Here's the link to the template.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/747 ... rahame.pdf

Here are the Salisbury templates.

There are a few details to know in order to get the finished result to print correctly.

When printing, reduce the page to 94 per cent. This will shrink the page so that the squares match up exactly with launchpad button spacings.

Also when printing, flip the image horizontally. That will put the ink onto the underside of the transparency and thus protecting it from being scratched off by the fingers in use. This is easy to do on a Mac, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do this on a PC. These days I don't print overlays at home, but instead I take the files to the local Officeworks store where they print them for me on a large professional colour laser printer. They can't figure out how to do a horizontal flip either, so I flip and reduce the files at home, then take the modified files on a flash drive to the store. They just print them without change, but they come out as I need them.

The yellow lines are added and edited as annotations.

My colour coding is evident in the Salisbury templates. Adobe Acrobat Pro allows for changes of background and font colours. To change these colours you'll need to have software with similar facility.

* For flues I leave the background colour either white or turned off, with the font colour black. The launchpad lamps are set to Amber in on/off mode.

* For reeds I make the background colour red and the font black. The launchpad lamps are set to red in on/off mode.

* For major unison couplers I used a background colour of orange with font colour black with lamp colour is set to orange in on/off mode. I now use this colour format only for cinema organ undulating strings. My approach to all couplers is explained below.

* For couplers I now set the background to black and the font colour white. I then set the lamp colour to green in dim/bright mode. The effect is striking. With cinema organs I use this for all couplers. In the Salisbury example I used this only for the octave couplers, but have since adopted this colour scheme for all couplers on every sample set.

* For sundry stops such as tremulants, transfers, cymbelstern and the like I use green or cyan backgrounds with black font colour. With cinema organs I use green for percussions and cyan for the piano.

Having said all this, I am now facing the need to revise the colour scheme completely. I've recently replaced the two main launchpads on my console with the latest release (Mk 2) but at this stage Hauptwerk doesn't address their colours. That's actually Novation's fault, because they have failed to make the new launchpad backwards-compatible. Hauptwerk will need to undergo a rewrite in the routines handling launchpad colour, but at this stage Martin Dyde isn't committing to exactly when it will happen - and I support him in this. I am happy to wait until it's convenient for him to make the necessary programming changes. If your launchpads are the new Mk 2 variety the spacing of each name will still work OK as the button layout hasn't changed, but you'll need to experiment with what is currently an ad-hoc colour scheme. The colours I've indicated will work for the Launchpad Mk 1 and the Launchpad S as Hauptwerk already has native controls for those models. For the Launchpad S it helps to turn the lamp brightness to full power.

* To attach these overlays to the launchpads I use a single strip of velcro across the top.

* The title strip is in black with white lettering. To allow white to show through I attach a strip of double-sided tape to the back of the title strip then attach some blank white paper to this.

* I don't use the template for the round buttons. I have those permanently labelled with paper strips glued to cardboard and attached to the launchpad directly with double sided tape. I use round buttons for Hauptwerk functions including the sequencer, recording controls, organ selection, audio levels and the like. These functions don't change from one sample set to another. The template however does have an extra row at the bottom which can be used for a horizontal row of round buttons if desired. To print these labelling strips I use the template to get the spacing correct. It was impossible to include another column because it would have exceeded the width of the transparency blank.

* In mounting my launchpads I mount them in pairs and orient them to put round buttons across the bottom and up the sides of the pair. There are no round buttons across the top, allowing for the title strip and attachment point.

I think this covers all bases.

Andrew
Last edited by Andrew Grahame on Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrball

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 9:25 am

Thanks to Graheme for the useful LP posting. I hadn't thought of printing tinted buttons.

Grahame said that "It was impossible to include another column because it would have exceeded the width of the transparency blank". I avoided this overlay limitation and included all of the round buttons by printing both parts of a two-page overlay then trimming and pasting the two pieces with only a small overlap between rows.

As an enhancement I also print the Launchpad code in very small type just below each button. I have six LPs with differing orientations so I need different versions of the master overlay to accommodate the different code layouts. My template spreadsheet has six pages, one for each LP. I copy that spreadsheet for a new organ. Then I design the organ layout, type the stop names, print and glue, and finally refer to the overlay codes to setup the LPs in HW.

Return to General discussion