It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:53 pm

Johannus LiVE Review

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

sjkartchner

Johannus LiVE Review

PostSun Jul 03, 2016 12:25 pm

I had two opportunities to play the Johannus LiVE instruments that were available at the recent National AGO Convention in Houston. One was in the exhibition area and only listenable through headphones while the other was in a dedicated Johannus room and could be heard through its internal speakers. Here is the Johannus LiVE website: http://www.johannus.com/en-eu/collection/home-organs/live/iii.

Here are my impressions:

Pros:

1. The overall concept is impressive and generally well-thought out (subject to the exceptions listed under Cons below).

2. The e-ink displays worked quickly enough to update the stop names when a new organ was selected. And the re-writable display concept may be ideal for this type of application where a variety of organ samples can be selected.

3. The overall form factor works well in terms of size and fitting into a relatively small space (just about any home should be able to accommodate this instrument) without compromising playability. There are 50 stops available in this model, although I was told that a larger-specification instrument may be in the works.

4. The self-contained speakers seemed to work well enough, although the overall volume was turned down to such a low level that it was impossible to judge the adequacy of the sub-woofer. I would definitely want to hear the system played at a much higher volume level in order to judge the adequacy of the internal sound system, especially the sub-woofer.

5. The sounds of the sample sets through headphones were generally pleasant and realistic enough, and the push-button method of selecting from different listening positions in the virtual hall worked quite well. As could be expected, certain listening positions worked better for some sample sets than for others.

6. The stop knobs were easy enough to use (momentary on-off) and incorporated a small red led in the center to indicate whether the stop is active or not. I was told that the led's are an upgrade for the U.S. market that transforms it from being a completely blind stop-selection and capture system.

7. There seemed to be a sufficient number of capture pistons to register relatively complex pieces, although the layout and labeling of the pistons was not in line with the typical American console using generals and divisionals. For instance, five or six of the pistons are labeled with dynamic labels from pp to ff, although I was told that all of the pistons are programmable by the user. I also did not ask how many memory levels are available which may or may not be a limiting factor for those accustomed to working with many memory levels.

8. The Fatar keyboards had a reasonably nice touch, although I did have some difficulty playing precise ornamentations in a Couperin piece I used as a test subject. So there may be a bit of mushiness that was not otherwise evident when playing other literature.

9. The consoles I played on appeared to be compliant with AGO specifications, including a radiating-concave pedal board. This may also be a change for the U.S. market as the picture on the Johannus site appears to show a flat, non-radiating pedal board. And the console materials seemed to be of relatively high quality (the impression was of solid or at least veneered real oak).

10. The U.S. price is about $30,000 as I recall. That may be a Pro or Con depending upon what the system is being compared to. As an out-of-the-box turnkey system with very little installation required (i.e., no external speakers and only on-site voicing and volume adjustments needed), I suspect this system does compare favorably in price to other home-oriented systems. Note that it is clearly intended as a home instrument and not for typical church or institutional installations (although as a church or institutional practice instrument, it could also work quite well).

Cons:

1. For the non-U.S. markets, the entire stop selection and capture system appears to be blind. In other words, there is nothing to indicate which stops have been selected and the capture system is entirely blind. Now why anyone would be satisfied with a blind system like this is beyond me -- I worked very hard to upgrade from my first organ which was an Allen MDS-5 with a blind capture system. And at least with that one I could see which stop tabs I had selected. With this system, you don't even have that information without the led's. I assume the led's could easily be added to all LiVE instruments upon request although perhaps at an additional cost. EDIT: Viewing the picture again on the Johannus site, it appears that regular draw knobs are being used instead of the momentary drawn knobs used for the US Model. So the stop selection system is NOT blind although the capture system is (i.e., the draw knobs are not solonoid activated). .

2. The e-ink displays, although using crisp and well-laid out lettering, were not particularly easy to read, especially with my 59-year-old eyes. I attribute the lack of readability to a variety of factors: a) the stop jambs are not angled so the displays are not pointed toward the player, b) there is no lighting on the displays (either back or front lighting) so while they were ok under the bright lights of the exhibition hall, they were very difficult to read in the more subdued (more similar to a home environment) lighting of the Johannus display room, c) the black lettering on white background used for these displays is actually less readable than white lettering on black background (which was momentarily visible upon startup of the organ), and d) the e-ink technology being used for these displays, while certainly robust and long-lasting (judging from the Kindle products), may not be the best display technology for this particular application. For instance, with OLED displays, different colors could be used and there would be no visibility (i.e. lighting) problems. Now, whether OLED or similar displays would be cost-effective when compared to the e-ink style displays could be a significant factor.

3. As mentioned, it was impossible to determine whether the sub-woofer was adequate to support the bass registers of the organ. It is unclear to me why Johannus chose to display that model with the volume turned down so low, but it did nothing to show off the capabilities of the entire internal sound system. I assume the sub-woofer was designed with adequate volume and frequency capabilities, but that assumption would clearly need to be tested prior to a purchase of the instrument.

4. As can be expected, only Johannus sample sets can be installed in the LiVE instrument, and only a limited selection of sample sets is currently available. Also, I got the impression that the U.S. instrument may only come with two sample sets installed (the website says four), so cost may be a factor when additional sample sets are desired. There was no discussion nor disclosure about the cost of additional sample sets.

5. As noted, incorporating angled stop jambs could improve the readability of the existing e-ink stop displays. I was told that another system may be in the works that could incorporate angled stop jambs and more stops. That will be interesting to see.

I'm sure I've left something out so edits to this post will likely be needed.
Last edited by sjkartchner on Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stan Kartchner, Tucson, AZ USA

seh52

Re: Johannus LiVE Review

PostMon Jul 04, 2016 11:50 am

Thanks for this review. I also visited the AGO LiVE exhibits and share some impressions:

Headphones vs. external audio:
The headphone experience was more convincing than the LiVE external audio. The external audio experience degrades as you move from player position to anywhere that might be considered an audience position.

Subwoofer:
A representative told me that the LiVE organ's 12" subwoofer responds down to 20 Hz. The 32' stops' fundamental sound fades out upon descent from G to the 16 Hz C on the pedalboard.

Visibility:
It was difficult to read the divisional layout and stop names. Most Hauptwerk virtual touchscreen consoles are easier to see and use.

Sound quality:
The 5 LiVE sample sets I played seem more authentic than generic digital organs sound, but not as good as many Hauptwerk organs.

Value:
The representative quoted me a $35,000 price. Imagine what sorts of Hauptwerk organs one could build or buy for that price!

So, I congratulate Johannus on their LiVE advance, but am not buying one, yet. I will continue playing my collection of more than 100 Hauptwerk virtual pipe organs on an older Johannus console via midi and external surround multi channel audio that includes a powerful 18" subwoofer.

magnaton

PostWed Nov 09, 2016 8:36 pm

Earlier this week I got to briefly demo this organ. I want to confirm that ALL comments and impressions previously posted are spot on! The organ was in the distributor's warehouse and it had decent volume. They took the lower back off the organ (to look for a pedal lock pin) and the sub-woofer looked to be only 10". I too thought the reverse e-ink of white letters on black is would be easier to read.

They were taking the organ off of a pallet which I gave some assistance with and it was extremely heavy. The case is almost 6ft tall! It was like moving a china chest. The 4 out of 5 organ sets I demoed sounded surprisingly good except for the Cavaille-Coll. The Utrecht, Batz sample was very nice and the signature tremelos and Coronet were well represented. On that set, the reverb tail was quite long, almost too long! They have internal speakers that fire high front, sides, and straight up (almost hidden from view). These 2 or 3 speaker drivers on the top of the case point straight up and only handle the reverb.

Switching to different to sample sets was very fast, maybe 7 seconds. While playing, I just used the preset pistons as my time was limited. I was impressed with the form factor, keyboard quality, and overall build quality which maybe justifies the $37K asking price. You can connect external speakers but not sure what role they would function; main sound or reverb distribution. The Johannus rep stated that each note of each pipe rank was individually sampled a la Hauptwerk. Based on how fast the different sets could load, I don't see how that is true. If it is, samples are probably short looped, 8 bit, & compressed or something similar. Like most manufactures, to turn a profit I bet they are incorporating as much of their existing technology as possible. With that said, I'm guessing the reverb is really a mathematical equation based on the actual location of the respective samle set. This equation is then configured into their existing reverb module used on their production line. The same holds true for the listening positions feature pistons (close to the pipes or farther away).

James

PostThu Nov 10, 2016 6:33 am

I am not quite sure why this review is on the Hauptwerk forum. What's next? A review of Allen, and or the organ button on synthesizer keyboards?
James

Stagge

PostThu Nov 10, 2016 7:46 am

Hi James,

The simple answer to your question is that the LIVE has a very innovative operating concept (Paperwhite Displays), which is also very interesting for HAUPTWERK consoles. Unfortunately one can probably not edit the register texts.

Antoni Scott

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 4:27 pm

Perhaps I missed it but I didn't see or read anywhere how the Johannus sounded compared to Hauptwerk. I would have thought that how it sounded would have been the most important topic to critique. So I would agree with James that this kind of review has no place on the Hauptwerk Forum.

Antoni Scott

ludu

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 4:33 pm

Antoni Scott wrote:Perhaps I missed it but I didn't see or read anywhere how the Johannus sounded compared to Hauptwerk. I would have thought that how it sounded would have been the most important topic to critique. So I would agree with James that this kind of review has no place on the Hauptwerk Forum.

Antoni Scott

You just have to search for the word ‘sound’ on this page and you will find many occurrences…
Luc

Return to General discussion