It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:14 pm

Going to SW France

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

robsig

Going to SW France

PostFri Jul 08, 2016 9:10 pm

Hello.

I am planning to drag myself away from my HW organ for a few weeks travelling in the South of France. I will be in the area around Toulouse, Albi, Carcassone, Bordeaux and other exotic places. There seem to be quite a large number of great organs in the region. I am trying to determine which organ concerts I can attend. Most concerts are on Sunday at the same time so there will be competing possibilities. Unfortunately I will have to miss a concert on the Dom Bedos organ in Bordeaux, as we are leaving that night. However I will be able to hear a concert in Albi by Frederick Deschamps who has recorded many of the demos on Sonus Paradisi. The concert will be on a magnificent historic French baroque instrument in Ste. Cecile Cathedral, restored by Formentelli.

Who here has any experience of the organs in that area? I'm interested in hearing your comments and suggestions.

RS

Cooky

Re: Going to SW France

PostSat Jul 09, 2016 3:01 am

Hi Robsig,
In 2010 I joined a guided tour of Pipe organs in the South of France organised by Michael Barone - well known through the Pipedreams weekly web broadcasts. 46 of the finest organs ranging from Marseille through Toulouse were visited. I have placed recordings I made of most of these instruments on Youtube at Southfrancepipedream. You will find each recording preceded by a number (1-46)
Our Toulouse based tour guide was Jean Claude Guirdarini who I am sure would be very helpful if you are able to contact him. He is, I believe, still active in the organisation of the annual Toulouse Organ Festival- which you can Google.
Cooky

phjo

PostSat Jul 09, 2016 12:16 pm

The Dom Bedos in Bordeaux indeed, the Marin Carouge-Formentelli in Perigueux would deserve a visit too. (Concerts on the 17th afternoon with the titular (Henri Aristizabal), and on the 21st (Tom Koopman)

When will you be in this area ?

phjo

robsig

PostMon Jul 11, 2016 9:16 pm

Thanks to both of you for responding to my post. The plot thickens. There are many, many more instruments to see than I would have thought! Cooky you were so lucky to hear all those instruments, it's really the chance of a lifetime. Thank you so much for posting all those clips. I will spend many hours enjoying them. It will be very useful as I plan our itinerary, although this is a family vacation and I won't be free to spend all my time chasing organs (I would if I could!).

That said I will surely get to see several, and definitely hear a few. So far I have located organs in Toulouse, Bordeaux, Moissac, Albi, Carcassonne and Narbonne which are on our route. Unfortunately we won't be as far north as Périgueux, the Fontenelli looks very interesting!

We will be in the area from August 2nd to 24, in Bordeaux from the 20th on. Phjo, it would be interesting to meet up with a fellow Hauptwerker if you are interested!

RS

Return to General discussion