It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:43 pm

While not a Hauptwerk organ,

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

engrssc

While not a Hauptwerk organ,

PostThu Jul 21, 2016 12:13 pm

nor is this technical. But it is inspirational:

https://vimeo.com/58340282

Rgds,
Ed

Axle

Re: While not a Hauptwerk organ,

PostThu Jul 21, 2016 5:26 pm

Beautiful story and a lovely chap! I really think music takes our brain into another dimension.
Alex

engrssc

PostThu Jul 21, 2016 11:33 pm

I agree. There are some interesting foot notes under the video made by the fellow that did the video. Excellent job, too.

I recently had a conversation with a friend and he mentioned something very similar. When good music is "present" a person's inner being (most times) is aware of it, likewise when it isn't "there" we know that as well. (As sometimes when I practice, even the dog "politely" leaves the room.) :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

ChangedForever

PostFri Jul 22, 2016 12:54 am

Thanks Ed - very slick article. Great work!!

1961TC4ME

PostFri Jul 22, 2016 4:16 pm

Yes, was a nice story, unless I missed something I wish we could have gotten a chance to hear the organ he built though.

When it comes to our dog (a Bichon), the little fellow comes in and lays down right next to my sub connected to the manuals and will lay there an sleep while I play! Can't quite figure out if I'm boring him to death or if he actually enjoys it, but it appears does something for his soul as well. :wink:

Marc

engrssc

PostFri Jul 22, 2016 9:14 pm

1961TC4ME wrote:When it comes to our dog (a Bichon), the little fellow comes in and lays down right next to my sub connected to the manuals and will lay there and sleep while I play!

That he sleeps certainly is better than if he would howl. :roll: Dogs do have many (more sensitive than our) senses. Interesting, Our dog seems to prefer faster moving music with a rhythm vs slow classicals.

I recall sleeping thru at least a portion of a recent piano recital we went to. :( But I believe, in this case, it was justified. :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

Romanos

PostFri Jul 29, 2016 8:35 am

1961TC4ME wrote:Yes, was a nice story, unless I missed something I wish we could have gotten a chance to hear the organ he built though.

When it comes to our dog (a Bichon), the little fellow comes in and lays down right next to my sub connected to the manuals and will lay there an sleep while I play! Can't quite figure out if I'm boring him to death or if he actually enjoys it, but it appears does something for his soul as well. :wink:

Marc

My very energetic Min-Pin mutt will come lay in front of my sub too. More often he just curls up by the bench, but he has literally laid nose-to-port with the sub before. He will curl up underneath my grand piano while I play too. I enjoy the company. :)

Romanos

PostFri Jul 29, 2016 8:51 am

engrssc wrote:
1961TC4ME wrote:
I recall sleeping thru at least a portion of a recent piano recital we went to. :( But I believe, in this case, it was justified. :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

I have a nasty habit of dozing at classical concerts. When I was in music school I would doze from time to time. The truth is, it wasn't because I was bored, it was actually because I was enjoying the music so much that I became so relaxed I couldn't help but relax all the way to sleep. I once attended a positively fabulous concert of Rachmaninov's piano music performed by a Russian-born pianist with her artist's diploma from IU. She is one of those lucky (read: insanely dedicated) pianists whose performances are quite literally note-perfect. It was stunning playing. ......and I fell asleep! I did perk up when she started a fugue though, like any good organist! :lol:

Romanos

PostFri Jul 29, 2016 8:57 am

And, in case anyone is curious to know what happened to the organ (as I was) since Frank's passing, it was moved to the cathedral and installed in the chapel.

http://www.stjames-cathedral.org/music/organs/ROBL.aspx?LNID=7

engrssc

PostFri Jul 29, 2016 12:36 pm

Romanos wrote:And, in case anyone is curious to know what happened to the organ (as I was) since Frank's passing, it was moved to the cathedral and installed in the chapel.

http://www.stjames-cathedral.org/music/organs/ROBL.aspx?LNID=7

I recently came upon this also but have yet to hear any recording of it.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to General discussion