It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:13 am

Happy Anniversary!

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

dhm

Happy Anniversary!

PostThu Aug 04, 2016 2:46 am

Hauptwerk version 1.0 was released 14 years ago today - August 4th, 2002.
Many thanks to Martin for his world-changing creation, and to both Martin and Brett for their continued support over the intervening years. Let's all raise a glass tonight! :D
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

mdyde

Re: Happy Anniversary!

PostThu Aug 04, 2016 3:31 am

Thanks very much, Douglas. I'd forgotten that!
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

telemanr

PostThu Aug 04, 2016 7:00 am

Goodness. I remember getting version 1 and then it was onward and upward. It has made life so much easier. No more trips to the church just to practise hwhich had to be scheduled ahead of time. And the pleasure of playing repertoire on a suitable organ! Plus virtual travel to other organs at no cost after the original purchase.
It's all amazing and wonderful and all due to one man's vision (and programming skill).
Rob Enns

mkc1

PostThu Aug 04, 2016 7:31 am

Congratulations, many thanks, and much respect !

scottherbert

PostThu Aug 04, 2016 8:49 am

Pass the virtual champagne!!!! :lol: (virtual clink of glasses) :D

~Scott
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

profeluisegarcia

PostThu Aug 04, 2016 9:41 am

I never get tired of thanking Martin and his team for this achievement and friendly support. :D

Luis

mdyde

PostThu Aug 04, 2016 11:14 am

Thanks again!
Best regards, Martin.

TheOrganDoc

PostThu Aug 04, 2016 1:08 pm

Many Thanks to,
Martin and Brett,
for all the amazing work that they have done,
for we the Hauptwerkians ! :D
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

famkramer

PostFri Aug 05, 2016 12:48 am

Congratulations and many thanks to Martin and Brett.
Sound the Crumhorn!

hans

deWaverley

PostFri Aug 05, 2016 2:25 am

Yes Martin, although I've never met you (would so love to one day), I think of you with such gratitude and admiration pretty much every time I use your astonishing creation (which is every day of course). It is no exaggeration at all to say that you have transformed my life; trying to convert from being a pianist to an organist is the most satisfying (and challenging) thing I have ever done, and I would be nowhere without the ability to practise at home - and having instant access to some of the world's most beautiful instruments makes the whole process an exquisite pleasure.

As I have aged, I've realised that buying more things does not of itself bring happiness; but every penny spent on Hauptwerk and its family of instruments has enriched my life beyond measure.

How one man has created such a complex yet faultless program is quite miraculous (in fact, maybe it's because it was created by one man through its inception and development that it is so robust). The fact that you continue to maintain and improve the program single-handedly while also making time to provide such instant, patient and deeply generous answers to people's support questions is an example of dedication and time-management to us all!

As people may deduce, I am a big Martin Dyde admirer!

So yes, many many congratulations on this Anniversary and thank you so much from all of us for devoting your every waking hour to enriching our lives so profoundly.

mdyde

PostFri Aug 05, 2016 6:49 am

Well thank you very much -- much appreciated and I'm honoured!

Glad to hear it brings so much pleasure.
Best regards, Martin.

organassist

PostSat Aug 06, 2016 2:01 am

Speaking of anniversaries - I see that the General Discussion forum now has 29999 posts ... OK, with this one make that 30,000

peterorg

PostSat Aug 06, 2016 2:30 am

Indeed, Happy Anniversary and many thanks to Martin!

I wonder if anyone has a copy of the specs / hardware requirement etc of the original version. I would be very interested to see it as, I'm sure, would others. What was the first sample set?

Peter

mdyde

PostSat Aug 06, 2016 6:16 am

peterorg wrote:What was the first sample set?

The very first sample set was St. Anne's, which was included with Hauptwerk v1, and which I originally recorded (using basic recording equipment, and in mono) in 2001. Brett subsequently re-recorded the St. Anne's organ (in much higher quality) for Hauptwerk v4 in 2009 (or maybe 2010).

peterorg wrote:I wonder if anyone has a copy of the specs / hardware requirement etc of the original version.

I just checked and these were the original requirements for Hauptwerk v1.23 (which I think were unchanged from v1.00):

In summary, you need:

- A Pentium II 300 MHz processor or faster -- the faster the better. A Pentium III 1 GHz or faster is strongly recommended.
- 128 MB SDRAM or more - the more memory and the faster it is the better. 2 GB is recommended.
- Windows 98 (Second Edition), Windows ME, Windows 2000 or Windows XP. Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher is recommended.
- DirectX 8.1.
- A good quality sound card or audio card that supports DirectX.
- Some means of good quality amplification, such as a hi-fi system or studio monitors.
- A graphics card and monitor capable of at least 800x600 pixel display in 16-bit colour. A resolution of 1024x768 or higher is recommended.
- A MIDI interface if you wish to play Hauptwerk from a keyboard or keyboards or from an external hardware MIDI sequencer.
- A 'MIDI loopback device' program, if you wish to play Hauptwerk from a software sequencer running on the same computer as Hauptwerk. Examples I have tested are Hubi's MIDI Loopback Device and MIDI Yoke.
- A MIDI and audio sequencer and optionally a virtual audio connection device (such as Virtual Audio Cable), if you want to record the output digitally from Hauptwerk into a sequencer.
- About 1.5 GB of space on your hard disk for the sample files.

So there you had it, so to speak!
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostSun Aug 07, 2016 3:02 am

A few days late, but I add my thanks and appreciation for this tremendous addition(s), over the years, to our mutual musical experiences. I just got home from the hospital this evening where I had to have some unexpected heart surgery this past week. So I was off line in several respects. Not totally out of the woods, but gaining each day.

Rgds,
Ed
Next

Return to General discussion