It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:09 am

No touch screen?

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

fermata

No touch screen?

PostSun Oct 02, 2016 2:56 pm

Does anyone NOT use a touch screen at all for Hauptwerk, using instead a laptop to program tabs and pistons with all the desired functions in a kind of permanent setup? If one were to do this for all sample sets owned, can Hauptwerk "remember" these settings when sample sets are switched?

Is there anything impractical with such a system, something that doesn't work? (I do not own HW yet.)

organtechnology

Re: No touch screen?

PostSun Oct 02, 2016 3:37 pm

Hi fermata,

Yes Hauptwerk works well without touch screens or any screen at all for that matter. It depends on how you have it set up.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to download the free edition of Hauptwerk and the manual. That way you can read up on how it works and what you want to do as well as experiment with keyboards etc. I think that is how most of us got started and things really make better sense when you have the Hauptwerk screen in front of you.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

telemanr

PostSun Oct 02, 2016 5:00 pm

I don't see how you could start using HW with no screen at all. After setup perhaps but not from the getgo.
Rob Enns

larason2

PostSun Oct 02, 2016 5:45 pm

Yes, it is possible to run Hauptwerk without a touch screen. That is how my system is configured. I have labelled each of my stop tabs with labels for both of the organs I usually use. When closing a particular organ, Hauptwerk remembers the midi configuration, so that I just have to switch organs and the same stop tabs work for the new stops.

The only thing I have found that doesn't work well is some features that rely on feedback about their status such as transposition. For that, it is hard to know just how transposed the organ is. Of course you can purchase LED displays for that purpose, but I think they are complicated to set up and I don't use transposition enough to justify it. It can also be hard to know what stops are selected when you trigger a preset. Again, if your organ has lighted rocker tabs, that isn't a concern, but my setup doesn't have those (and they are also expensive and complicated).

I echo others that the best is to install the free edition of Hauptwerk and try it out on your system.

organsRgreat

PostMon Oct 03, 2016 11:36 am

I hate touch-screens – I just can't get on with them – they feel completely wrong. So I use ordinary monitor screens (BenQ), and set up combinations using a trackball (I hate mice too!). Once a combination sounds right I save it to one of the Stepper General pistons – there are a thousand of these available, quite enough for a complete recital, and they control the whole organ with one press. Further sets of 1000 can be saved if required.

My keyboards don't have pistons, so I use a couple of keys on the lowest manual to step forward or backwards.

Hauptwerk offers plenty of ways to control stops and combinations – a qwerty keyboard for instance, a Launchpad, or the Behringer equivalent (which is cheaper, but I can't find the post in which this is mentioned).

Any of these methods will work reliably, provided you use the Backup function on the File menu regularly to save what you've set up. There's no right or wrong – whatever works for you, and feels comfortable, is fine :)

scottherbert

PostMon Oct 03, 2016 12:16 pm

I myself have just been using the mouse on a regular screen. Slow and cumbersome. But I recently purchased a Novation Launchpad which, to me, seems like a better way to go. Since I cannot go with real stops and such, the Launchpad gives me the 'tactility' of pushing a real button, like a stop, while saving the pistons for their intended purpose.

Got the Launchpad used for $30, can't do that with a touchscreen! I guess Behringer has a clone that you can get new for that price as well.

~Scott
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

Return to General discussion