It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

The Forum at Christmas

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

organsRgreat

The Forum at Christmas

PostTue Dec 13, 2016 10:32 am

We all understand how important it is for our hard-working Moderators to have a break over the Christmas/New Year period, but I wonder whether the Forum software can be configured to run in “Read Only” mode during this time? There is now so much material here that it’s valuable for reference, even without the opportunity to interact with other members.

At any rate I hope this may be a good moment to thank Martin and Brett for the help they have given all of us during the past twelve months, and to send our best wishes for Christmas and the New Year. I'm also grateful to fellow members who have helped me out with so many queries, and for the friendly atmosphere that prevails here :-)

Tweedle_Dee

Re: The Forum at Christmas

PostTue Dec 13, 2016 12:40 pm

+1

Christmas time is when I have more time to experiment with my setup, etc. It would be very nice to have the archive available. Regardless, thanks for this fine forum.

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostTue Dec 13, 2016 1:47 pm

We've considered this in the past, however we have always come to the conclusion that as a whole it's best for us to close the forum over the holidays to avoid potential confusion for those that may not frequent the forum too often and think that there is a technical problem with it since they cannot post etc. (which then winds up turning into technical support for us having to inform them it is read only etc.) When it is closed and has a clear message stating that on the forum home page, then it's quite clear to everyone.

As we've done in the past we will also do again this year and close the forum over the holidays. I will make a separate announcement with those dates soon. I realize this may not be ideal for some who wish to browse the forum over the holidays and for this we do apologize.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

TheOrganDoc

PostTue Dec 13, 2016 2:39 pm

[b["ABSOLUTELY", My Best Wishes to Both of you, And Your Family's [/b] :D :D :D
Mel
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

organtechnology

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 2:36 am

B. Milan wrote:We've considered this in the past, however we have always come to the conclusion that as a whole it's best for us to close the forum over the holidays to avoid potential confusion for those that may not frequent the forum too often and think that there is a technical problem with it since they cannot post etc. (which then winds up turning into technical support for us having to inform them it is read only etc.) When it is closed and has a clear message stating that on the forum home page, then it's quite clear to everyone.

As we've done in the past we will also do again this year and close the forum over the holidays. I will make a separate announcement with those dates soon. I realize this may not be ideal for some who wish to browse the forum over the holidays and for this we do apologize.

Perhaps you could list the number of a friendly mental heath professional for those of us who have withdrawal
symptoms :))
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

engrssc

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 3:00 am

There are many Forums that have significantly less "traffic". Checking them once a month or so, you haven't missed anything. Here it's possibly, for some, checking the Forum is a routine, like the morning cup of coffee (Java?).

Rgds,
Ed

organsRgreat

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 5:56 am

Good point – I find it's worth checking at least once a day, because there's so much of interest. The tip about liquidsonics reverb being reduced for Black Friday saved me a useful amount of money – I must now thank the poster for the information. Now eagerly awaiting the announcement that the SP Aeolian-Skinner organ is available – very impressed with the demos thus far . . .

Thank you Brett for explaining the thinking behind the closure of the forum for the holidays.

profeluisegarcia

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 8:00 am

organtechnology wrote:...for those of us who have withdrawal
symptoms :))
2. ...Thank you Brett for explaining the thinking behind the closure of the forum for the holidays.
3...checking the Forum is a routine, like the morning cup of coffee

Perhaps, what about a loyal colleague (Thomas, Ed...) as "administrator ad hoc" during the holidays, just to guarantee the style, spirit and mood of this Forum?

mdyde

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 8:46 am

Hello Luis,

If the forum's open then there will inevitably be a number of topics each day that need replies from us (technical questions, people needing help with their computers/MIDI, enhancement suggestions, etc.). We do still have a few hours of email to answer each day over Christmas anyway, but at least least it's much less than usual and having the forum closed means we can usually manage to have a few hours/day left to to see our families and friends.

I know that for many of you Hauptwerk is a hobby, and we do really appreciate that enthusiasm and dedication that you all have for it, but for us looking after it all does involve lots of hours of work, nearly 365 days a year, so I hope you can forgive us just a very few days once/year of (at least partial!) peace, so that we can have a chance to visit our families. We really appreciate it!
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

telemanr

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 8:55 am

I think...
Let's just let Martin and Brett celebrate Christmas and let's stop obsessing.
I come here every day several times. I will just not do that during the hiatus.
And I will survive.
Rob Enns

NickNelson

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 9:04 am

telemanr wrote:Let's just let Martin and Brett celebrate Christmas and let's stop obsessing.

Agree absolutely

Nick

profeluisegarcia

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 9:23 am

Hello Martin:

You´re completely right. Really you -and the HW team- deserve the best vacations for all you have done for us. Even you would be very welcome at this house in the tropic¡ :D
Best Holidays¡
Luis

engrssc

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 9:27 am

For sure. It's good to take a break for everyone and that goes for Martin, Brett and many other Hauptwerk enthusiasts. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and the very Best for the New (2017) Year.

Rgds to all,
Ed

ppytprs

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 9:39 am

Could you not put out a notice, both on the forum and on the website saying that Milan Digital Audio is closed during these < > dates, enquiries will be answered in January? Then you guys could take your time off, that we all need (!), but leave the forum open for discussion. It is after all a community.
I'm sure there would be someone who would take on moderation duties for a while.
Most forums are moderated by volunteers. I'm sure there are plenty of us who'd be willing to help out.

engrssc

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 12:22 pm

Have no fear, Brett will duly make necessary notices "public". As well do the appropriate "stuff". :wink:

Rgds,
Ed
Next

Return to General discussion