It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:45 am

Database for organ repertoire

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

robsig

Database for organ repertoire

PostSun Jan 22, 2017 4:28 pm

Hello.

With all the new pieces I'm learning with Hauptwerk it's now time to update my list of repertoire. I'm looking for an application for Mac, not too expensive. I don't do databases for anything else so I have no such software. Many years ago I began a repertoire list in ClarisWorks, which of course is obsolete.

The important thing for me is to create multiple categories so if I'm looking for a piece to play I can choose by the liturgical season, key, duration, prelude or postlude, slow-medium-fast, historical period, church service or concert, country of origin and composer. My old list with just the names of the pieces, composer and duration was 8 pages long, so not a huge file.

What software do people use that meets these criteria?

Thanks!

RS

ldeutsch

Re: Database for organ repertoire

PostMon Jan 23, 2017 10:47 am

I use "unrealbook" on my iPad Pro for this purpose. It is basically a pdf librarian - but designed for musicians. I maintain lists of organ music in different genres (including theater organ) that I can recall instantly. It still works on smaller iPads - depending on how well your eyes work!

Les

robsig

PostMon Jan 23, 2017 12:18 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm actually looking for something that works on Mac OS for a regular computer. Unrealbook exists only for iPad and iPhone…

Thanks anyway.

RS

mnailor

PostMon Jan 23, 2017 1:32 pm

Have you considered a spreadsheet program? Easy to maintain the data and doesn't require a lot of expertise. You may have to use sort on a couple of columns and browse visually instead of doing queries, but this won't be a huge dataset.

jharmon

PostMon Jan 23, 2017 5:24 pm

I use Mac and simply create a spreadsheet with Pages. Enter your data and sort at will.

Grant_Youngman

PostMon Jan 23, 2017 8:01 pm

Apache OpenOffice contains a database application. I used it for a couple of things some years ago, and it was simple to use and worked quite well. Been a while for me, but I wouldn't expect things to have gone downhill …

The price is right, and OpenOffice for the Mac is widely used.

http://www.openoffice.org
Grant

Erzahler

PostMon Jan 23, 2017 9:05 pm

You have Pages and Numbers right there on the Mac. Use those. They are easy and better than Microsoft.

Return to General discussion