It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

Copyright infringement notice !

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

phjo

Copyright infringement notice !

PostMon Feb 13, 2017 12:37 pm

Hi,

After a long break due to an injury that kept me away from the keyboards of my organ or harpsichords, I was happy to be able to play again, and decided to contribute to contrebombarde's concert hall, and create a youtube channel...

First piece I uploaded was Praeludium and Fugue in C Bwv 547 from Bach, a bit less than two weeks ago.

It may have totalled between 100 and 200 views when some copyright holder decided my video infringed on his rights !

Funny thing is that the piece I may have based my video on and deliberately copied is some PRELUDE NO. 11 IN F MAJOR (copied and pasted) which I wouldn't be surprised could be Bach WTC I or II (no link to this piece is provided...)

Of course I contested the copyright infringement notice, because the idea that ads could be placed on my videos to the benefit of a fake copyright holder is really irritating, even if it probably wouldn't generate any revenue at all, but it seems that it is the copyright holder that will have to decide if my complaint is legitimate or not...

youtube is a strange world...

phjo

dcitron

Re: Copyright infringement notice !

PostMon Feb 13, 2017 3:38 pm

This sort of scammy thing happened to me with an upload of some Bach as well. I simply clicked the button to dispute the claim and YouTube removed the claim (and the ads) from my video. Much better!

polikimre

PostMon Feb 13, 2017 4:57 pm

These things are going around a lot these days on Youtube.

CarsonCooman

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 7:58 am

This isn't a scam, but just the fact that YouTube uses automatic software-based pattern matching to do the copyright infringement checking (their "content ID" system). So, it's not at all uncommon that the performance of a standard repertoire piece seems to "pattern match" somebody else's commercial recording (which would be under copyright). Using the "dispute" feature usually always results in resolution fairly efficiently.

dcitron

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Mine seemed pretty scammy. My video of the Bach Dorian Toccata and Fugue was under copyright claim from "one or more music publishing rights collecting societies" for the music. According to the referenced YouTube information page, "Songwriters and composers become members of collecting societies to collect royalties from use of their works. Collecting societies monitor performances and distribution of the works on radio, television, in public venues, and online." (1)

There was no such thing as copyright law in 18th-century Germany, and even if there was it's life + 70 years. It seems like an "organization" was attempting to collect revenue by monetizing public domain performances of public domain music.

phjo

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 2:55 pm

CarsonCooman wrote:This isn't a scam, but just the fact that YouTube uses automatic software-based pattern matching to do the copyright infringement checking (their "content ID" system).

Yes, it is most probably the case. My guess is that I won't hear anything from the copyright holder and the notice will just go away 30 days after my protest.

phjo

phjo

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 12:50 am

As expected, the copyright holder didn't answer to my dispute so the copyright infringement notice finally and silently went away, after 30 days...

phjo

Return to General discussion