It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:56 am

Baroque organ sound

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

kkbzn

Baroque organ sound

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 4:58 am

Hello everyone!

I would like to ask you something about the baroque organ samplesets. In real baroque organ, if you play with many stops in one time, you pressed a high key, and then, you press a large chord in the base, the pitch of the high note goes down for a moment and after a while it gets back. (I think it's because of the lowered pressure by the large chord in the base) Is it possible to do that on Hauptwerk organ Hinsz, Kampen or Schnittger, Zwolle?

mdyde

Re: Baroque organ sound

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 6:02 am

Hello kkbzn,

Yes -- the Advanced Edition of Hauptwerk has a realistic wind supply model (based on fluid dynamics physical modelling):

https://www.hauptwerk.com/learn-more/features/
https://www.hauptwerk.com/learn-more/editions/

You can try it out by selecting to evaluate the Advanced Edition when launching Hauptwerk.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Antoni Scott

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 8:17 pm

The wind modeling feature results in a very realistic sound. My favorite is the Zwolle. With full chords and many stops, the pitch change is barely perceptible but the overall effect is extremely impressive to the ear.
Antoni

adri

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 4:14 pm

The way I understand and experience this is that every sampler incorporates this in their organs to different degrees, and some do not at all. The effect of the wind model thus differs from organ to organ. I have the Kampen set, and there you can hear the effect quite well, but I believe in the real organ it is more.

In the virtual world, it still remains an approximation. But historically, in real life, this wind surge effect is not limited to organs from the baroque period.

jcfelice88keys

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 8:25 pm

The wind model's implementation does require input from the individual group that sampled the given organ.

Please remember that "original" baroque organs were not electrified; restated, their "lungs" were not as strong as more modern instruments.

Cheers,

Joe

robsig

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 2:28 pm

This flexible wind modelling sounds like something I would be very interested in. I wonder if it is on by default or whether I would have to turn it on. Where would I find out?

If it is something I would have to choose when loading the organ, would the reloading affect all the voicing and tuning that I have done?

Any ideas on this?

RS

mnailor

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 2:47 pm

For the currently loaded organ, you can disable or adjust the overall effect of the organ's wind model. But that only affects samplesets that have a wind model, configured by the supplier. Most do, among the ones I've used.

This isn't something you can choose when installing or loading the organ or routing its ranks.

Please see user guide page 145.

mdyde

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 5:18 am

Hello Robert,

Yes -- to add to mnailor's reply, the options are on the 'Organ settings | Organ preferences | Wind supply model' screen tab. (Also make sure you're using the current version of Hauptwerk, i.e. v4.2.1: http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com/ .)

St. Anne's has a wind supply model, as do all other v2+ Milan Digital Audio sample sets, and probably all v2+ classical organ sample sets from other major sample set producers.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to General discussion