It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:31 am

Hardman Studio Wurlitzer - detailed info

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

nrorganist

Hardman Studio Wurlitzer - detailed info

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 11:12 am

My apologies for sharing a post which is not a Hauptwerk topic, but I thought theater organ aficionados might be interested in the following.

In a recent Mechanical Music Digest (http://www.mmdigest.com), there was a post with a website describing in great detail and with beautiful photos, a 4/38 Wurlitzer theater organ in Virginia: http://hardmanwurlitzer.com

Given that the owner is searching for the next home for this instrument, could it possibly be a candidate to produce a sample set for Hauptwerk?

Just a thought,
Mark

James

Re: Hardman Studio Wurlitzer - detailed info

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 11:56 am

Since this forum is dedicated to Hauptwerk and associated peripherals, my own feeling is that this announcement would be, and in fact is, better advertised in areas more suited to used pipe organs. This particular instrument, made up of bits and pieces of other instruments, has I would think limited appeal outside of a very small circle of enthusiasts.
James

John_Abson

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 8:56 am

Hi; I thought the relevance to this list was that it should be sampled before removal. Clark Wilson was involved in the design and tonal finishing and it certainly has potential.

ldeutsch

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 10:09 am

I had the opportunity to spend an evening with the Hardman's a few years ago and play this organ for quite a while. It is definitely one of the best Wurlitzer installations I have heard or played. It has quite a history. Jesse Crawford himself designed the original specification and was involved in voicing and playing the organ when it was at the Simonton residence in LA. Dick Simonton was one of the founders of the American Theater Organ Society (which was regionally called American Theater Organ Enthusiasts) as well as an executive with Musak.

As currently configured, the organ has a comprehensive digital relay system which would make it easier to sample. The "barn" in which it resides is very well soundproofed and the estate sits in a rural area without much noise anyway.

When I was there, we discussed Hauptwerk a great deal and I played them some recordings I had made on my own HW theater organ. I do not know if they would be interested in a sampling project.

Les

Return to General discussion