Search:
Submit Search

Hauptwerk and Peterborough Cathedral Organ Festival

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.

Hauptwerk and Peterborough Cathedral Organ Festival

Postby Trenchardb » Fri May 19, 2017 6:15 am

Peterborough Cathedral (in the UK) are holding a summer music festival between the 7th and 9th June to celebrate the outstanding 1894 William Hill organ which has recently been recommissioned following its repitch.

The programme includes a talk and demonstration explaining how the organ was sampled and recreated in Hauptwerk. It will also include a preview of the Peterborough sample set which is due to be released towards the end of 2017.

Other events include a virtual tour of the organ, recitals by David Briggs, Steven Grahl and David Humphries, and a concert with Choir, organ and orchestra conducted by David Hill.

All are welcome! There is some additional detail about the programme here:
https://www.audioangelorum.com/DBPage.asp?PageNumber=45

Tickets are available via the Cathedral website:
http://www.peterborough-cathedral.org.uk/music-festival17.aspx
Trenchardb

Re: Hauptwerk and Peterborough Cathedral Organ Festival

Postby Erzahler » Sun May 21, 2017 7:00 pm

There are a few interesting developments here.
1. Audio Angelorum run by Ben Trenchard is a UK audio Company now doing organ samples and have recorded Peterborough Cathedral organ before and after the change in pitch .
2. They have developed robotics and 'software for audio file processing in order to simplify and automate the conversion of raw recordings into a final Hauptwerk instrument.'
Watch the robot; https://www.audioangelorum.com/DBPage.a ... ber=100021

'In addition to being fully recorded prior to it's repitch, a significant proportion of the instrument has been re-recorded after the pitch change, potentially allowing us to make available Hauptwerk sample set versions of both the old and new specifications (including the new Hill Style Tuba Mirabilis).'

'Audio Angelorum is run by Ben Trenchard, an engineer, musician and software developer with a broad range of experience in music technology dating back 30 or so years.
For example, the Hauptwerk sampling project involved the design and manufacture of bespoke robotics to operate the organ console far more consitently than would have been possible using traditional methods. We have also developed software for audio file processing in order to simplify and automate the conversion of raw recordings into a final Hauptwerk instrument. This investment in process automation offers significant time savings for future projects, and allow the kind of flexibility and high quality end results which would be difficult to achieve using off the shelf hardware and software.'
Erzahler

Postby murph » Sun May 21, 2017 7:27 pm

I'm watching this with a lot of interest. The chamber recordings will probably only be useful for a dry set, rather than 6-channel, but still, a surround English cathedral set will be quite welcome. The before and after could be very instructive, like the Smecno set. Depending on the processing, this could be a winner (but, the Armley set has raised the current bar to an insanely high position that will be hard to come close to, let alone attain.)

I await the demos with great anticipation.
murph

Postby Trenchardb » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:56 am

Many Apologies! I had listed the wrong dates in my original post. As any of you who had followed the links would have found out, the festival is in fact this coming weekend on the 9th to 11th June, starting with Friday evensong at 5.30, and then a recital by David Briggs at 7.30.

I hope that some of you may be able to come and support the Cathedral and attend what is sure to be a very exciting and entertaining weekend!

With regards to the sample set:
I'm watching this with a lot of interest. The chamber recordings will probably only be useful for a dry set, rather than 6-channel, but still, a surround English cathedral set will be quite welcome. The before and after could be very instructive, like the Smecno set. Depending on the processing, this could be a winner (but, the Armley set has raised the current bar to an insanely high position that will be hard to come close to, let alone attain.)

I await the demos with great anticipation.

Many thanks for your encouraging comments. Being the owner of a number of the excellent Lavender Audio sets (including the Armley Schulze), and a number of sets from other excellent sample set producers, I am aware of the quality which we all expect these days from a successful Hauptwerk set.

My intention in this case is to create the most accurate copy of this instrument possible (Particularly as it's a historic archive recording of the instrument at a point in time). Having already completed much of the work, I am confident that the resulting set will be of a very high quality, and I hope that you will not be disappointed! In the end, it will be up to you to judge how my offering compares with some of those other wonderful virtual organs out there!

I have not yet finalised the format of a potential future surround set, but we were very careful to ensure that a number of possible options were captured at the time of the recording (including multiple ambient positions, and close mics using both Spaced omni and B Format mic arrangements). The initial Stereo set which I am working on now was captured using microphones in the Choir, just opposite the organ case, which is incidentally very close to the console. Hence the set will fairly closely match what is heard by the organist when playing. I note that this position already sounds quite "wet" (as per the real instrument), despite being relatively close to the organ.
Trenchardb

Postby murph » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback! The stereo position sounds like a good choice (But: proof, pudding etc..)
Hopefully, some of the surround options have been done with cardiods rather than omnis. There's nothing more frustrating than listening to a "surround" set with a high level of direct front sound coming from the rear walls. Not quite how it should be! (especially if they don't have any delay).

I honestly do await this eagerly. It's highly probable that i will purchase it, regardless of my opinions on mic placement etc.
(But, Armley is in a completely different league to most previous sets and does set the bar quite high! If David is(?) involved, I'm sure this will be just as good.)

I really like the thought of the before and after comparison. Hopefully that will become a side-by-side reality, someday.

P.s.:
(If you need testers........)
murph

Return to General discussion