It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:25 am

Linux usage for virtual organs

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Calcant

Linux usage for virtual organs

PostThu Apr 29, 2004 11:41 am

Just found an URL of a Linux conference to take place end of April/ beg. of May at the Center of Art and Media technology (ZKM) in Karlsruhe, Germany. A system called Aeolus will be presented.
URL is
//on1.zkm.de/zkm/stories/storyReader$3625
It´s a virtue to be well-tempered.
German speaking readers are invited to visit http://www.orgelbits.de for info about HW subjects.

mdyde

PostThu Apr 29, 2004 3:25 pm

Thanks Dieter,

I've added a link to it on the Hauptwerk links page. This is the developer's URL with demos:

http://users.skynet.be/solaris/linuxaudio/

It's a synthesized, rather than sample-based system.

Martin.

mamuesp

PostThu Apr 29, 2004 3:59 pm

... and for the moment, it sounds not very convincing. Also I've seen a physical modelling organ prototype (Viscount) at the Musikmesse - I believe there is a lot of work to be done in this area ...

Manfred

Calcant

PostFri Apr 30, 2004 4:07 am

Martin,
thanks for the additional link.
This gets me to the question: Would Linux be a remedy to overcome the 2GByte limitation for HW in Windows?
There must be a reason why Linux audio applications obviously are gaining momentum. Would the Linux open source philosophy be a hurdle to develop commercial application software? ;-))
It´s a virtue to be well-tempered.
German speaking readers are invited to visit http://www.orgelbits.de for info about HW subjects.

mdyde

PostFri Apr 30, 2004 6:47 am

Linux might conceivably allow 4 GB with a 32-bit processor - I'm not sure. For more than 4 GB you would still need a 64-bit processor. Production 64-bit versions of Linux are available now, whereas 64-bit XP is only available in beta, but 64-bit XP will probably be available by the time Hauptwerk v2 is released anyway.

I may well make a Linux version of Hauptwerk v2 after the Mac OS X and VSTi versions. I see the main benefit for those people buying dedicated computers for Hauptwerk (being a large percentage of Hauptwerk users), in that they can save the cost of the operating system.

I'm sure that some of the Linux community would grumble about having to pay for any software, but, as you know, each of us has to pay our wages somehow! Certainly, there are plenty of other commercial programs available for Linux, so I don't see it as a problem.

Martin.

Martin_Dümig

estimated release date of HW V2

PostFri Apr 30, 2004 7:33 am

mdyde wrote:Production 64-bit versions of Linux are available now, whereas 64-bit XP is only available in beta, but 64-bit XP will probably be available by the time Hauptwerk v2 is released anyway.

Is that a hint that the release of HW V2 will be end of this year? In this case, is there a pre or beta release for testing before (without special tremulant stuff and so, but with all the finished options)?

I am reading all posts within this discussion board to get some informations, when HW2 will be ready...

... and i know, a prerelease produces workload, maybe unnecessary, which could speed up the main release.

I am specially waiting for the possibility to use different tuning systems for the organs.

With best regards - Martin Dümig

mdyde

PostFri Apr 30, 2004 8:00 am

I'm afraid that there will be no public beta release. As you say, the overheads in producing, documenting and supporting such a release are large, and doing so would put the final release back very cosniderably.

I didn't mean to infer that Hauptwerk v2 won't be ready until the end of the year. My understanding is still that 64-bit is expected unofficially by mid-summer.

I don't, however, think that Hauptwerk v2 is now likely to be ready in May-June, which was my last estimate. Maybe August would now be a better guess, but I'll keep you updated.

Martin.

Return to General discussion