It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 am

Rank Like Salicional

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Farmboybello

Rank Like Salicional

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 7:32 pm

Hello, I have multiple theatre organs loaded on Hauptwerk. None of them have the salicional rank. They have gamba and violin but I don't have salicional to compare them to see what rank sounds more like salicional. Does anyone know of a free theatre organ that includes salicional or what rank (gamba, violin, or a totally different rank that I didn't mention) sounds the most like salicional?

Thank you!

scottherbert

Re: Rank Like Salicional

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 7:49 pm

There's many variations of Salicional, but the ones I've heard are generally moderately soft, not too bright. But then I have no Theater organ experience! They may be different. I would suggest perhaps scouting some of the free demos of Sonus Paradisi, like the Caen for example, which contain a Salicional and download it so you can hear it for yourself and compare. On the Caen, I would compare it to a softer version of the Gamba, but it's not a Theater organ.

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

PhantomoftheOrgan

PostTue Aug 08, 2017 7:09 am

Good morning,

Check out the Reuter demo by S.P.

I have a couple of sets by CLR that I purchased that have this rank. I'm not sure what the demo contains because I purchased them without first trying the demo.

Phantom

ldeutsch

PostTue Aug 08, 2017 2:41 pm

Theater organ salicionals are a bit different than those on concert organs. Typically, if there are several string ranks on the theater organ, the salicional is one of the quieter ones - as opposed to Viols or Solo Strings, which are both fairly loud and shrill. The salicional is also a generally less "keen" the others. Again, if there are several string ranks, the salicional is often used in the accompaniment as part of a general softer registration whereas the other strings give the more stereotypical string sound to louder registrations.

Les

John_Abson

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 8:10 pm

To add to Les's comment, a Salicional was usually the only string rank on small Wurlitzers, for example the 6 rank style D models (though they did appear on larger instruments though not as far as I am aware paired with a celeste - the usual 'exception warning' applying, of course). Fairly similar scale and voicing to a Wurlitzer Violin. And to amplify Les's advice, in no way to be confused with the typical Salicional on a classical instrument.

Antoni Scott

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 7:48 am

Unfortunately in pipe organs the name of the stop can be the same but the sound can differ widely. There seems to be little standardization , but I suppose this is what makes the pipe organ so interesting. The Salicional is supposed to belong to the Viol family and can be of smaller scale in some organs and larger in others. It is considered a medium scaled pipe but there can be a huge amount of overlap

I had an opportunity to hear and see up close a hybrid 15 rank pipe organ (nine ranks to which was added an additional six ranks). The original organ and the additional six ranks both had a Salicional stop so I had an opportunity to compare both ranks. They were definitely NOT the same. Both stops were of spotted metal, medium to narrow scale and sounded differently enough to be considered different stops altogether. Sorry, not much help.

If you have the ability to get a sample of a Dulciana, Gamba, Viol de Gamba, or even the Voix Celeste, perhaps you can adjust the brightness in Hauptwerk's drop down menu. The Voix Celeste can be tuned back to the standard pitch. If the sample is from Sonus Paradisi sample-set you have the additional "tone" control adjustment. A rose by any other name is still a rose.

Antoni

Owen Jones

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 10:30 am

The Big Burea classical organ has several salicional ranks, that you may be able to fiddle around with in organ settings.
http://www.familjenpalo.se/vpo/about-burea-church

Interesting link.
http://www.mtosnc.org/barton2.html

All the best.

Owen

Return to General discussion