It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 am

Aspect ratio of graphical interface

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

puciak

Aspect ratio of graphical interface

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 3:41 pm

Hello,
I'm a bit confused about aspect ratios of stop jambs of sample sets I make. I don't have touch screens and nice console, but I know some people use it and it is useful if they can see stops at sides of the console on touch screens. I know displays can be horizontal or vertical, but what displays are mostly used? 16:9, 16:10, 4:3? And does these displays overcome Hauptwerk's limitations of displaying some part of interface at full screen? It takes some space on screen, so it changes optimal aspect ratio of interface.
What are your thoughts, experiences?

Of course you may say that it is the best to create every possible aspect ratio variant, but this is a lot of work to prepare them, so you I want to choose what is the most popular. I think that 16:9 monitors are standard now, but I'm not sure this is the right way.
Piotr Grabowski - Virtual Pipe Organ Sample Sets
https://piotrgrabowski.pl

mren

Re: Aspect ratio of graphical interface

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 3:11 am

Hello,

Unfortunately, I cannot provide real numbers but when I did some searching and browsing for a Hauptwerk-based instrument in January/February, I got the impression that most manufacturers providing a solution with an integrated touch screen, go for a 4:3 ratio. Consoles (and users) with external displays mostly seem to use 16:9, which - as you said yourself - are the industry standard at the moment. On these wide screen monitors, there's usually a black padding zone on the left and right side of the screen.

It seems to me that providing (next to the real world screens) a simple, very graphical interface (thus, less realistic) is a good fall-back solution for all screen sizes, esp. for very large organs.

Regards,
Michael

mdyde

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 3:26 am

puciak wrote:And does these displays overcome Hauptwerk's limitations of displaying some part of interface at full screen? It takes some space on screen, so it changes optimal aspect ratio of interface.

Hello Puciak,

Apart from the graphical console, and assuming that the 'View | Zoom virtual console window ...' option is turned on (as it is by default), the only additional elements that Hauptwerk displays in full-screen mode are:

- The status bar along the bottom.
- Any mini control panels or piston toolbars that the user might have docked at the top, bottom or sides of the screen (but that's up to the user).
- The virtual console page selection tab bar at the top.
- A thin strip of black padding around the virtual console image (which will be wider at either the sides or top/bottom, if, and only if, the virtual console doesn't correspond to the aspect ratio of the available screen space exactly).
- The menu bar at the top on the primary console windows only, but only on Windows. (Macs hide it automatically until the mouse goes near the very top of the screen, to save screen space.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

seh52

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 10:55 am

I have a single touchscreen with 4:3 display, so prefer that.

puciak

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 1:07 pm

mdyde wrote:
puciak wrote:And does these displays overcome Hauptwerk's limitations of displaying some part of interface at full screen? It takes some space on screen, so it changes optimal aspect ratio of interface.

Hello Puciak,

Apart from the graphical console, and assuming that the 'View | Zoom virtual console window ...' option is turned on (as it is by default), the only additional elements that Hauptwerk displays in full-screen mode are:

- The status bar along the bottom.
- Any mini control panels or piston toolbars that the user might have docked at the top, bottom or sides of the screen (but that's up to the user).
- The virtual console page selection tab bar at the top.
- A thin strip of black padding around the virtual console image (which will be wider at either the sides or top/bottom, if, and only if, the virtual console doesn't correspond to the aspect ratio of the available screen space exactly).
- The menu bar at the top on the primary console windows only, but only on Windows. (Macs hide it automatically until the mouse goes near the very top of the screen, to save screen space.)

That is what I meant to. I think in future version there should be option to disable these elements completely if preffered. Maybe shortcut for switching tabs left/right will be useful, but still pressing Escape will allow to change page via interface.
Piotr Grabowski - Virtual Pipe Organ Sample Sets
https://piotrgrabowski.pl

mdyde

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 3:52 am

Hello Piotr,

We do have an enhancement request logged for the possibility of hiding some of the remaining screen elements when in full-screen (which would probably need to be optional for most of the remaining elements, such as the tab selection bar, status bar, docked piston toolbars, and docked mini control panels). I've added your note to that enhancement request.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to General discussion