It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:04 am

New Builder Questions

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

OregonOrgan

New Builder Questions

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 12:28 pm

Our church's Rodgers organ (360, I think, vintage 1987) has finally decided it wants to retire. A new one will be very expensive, so I'm looking for other options. My first question for this group is where to ask my various questions. From scanning through a few topics, it's not clear this is the right place for newbie builder questions, but maybe I'm wrong. I hope so.

Anyway, here are the first few questions I have:

I'm not an organist, but am reasonably proficient with computers and A/V gear. I've read Hauptwerk Explained and found it quite informative.

First question. After I finish building this, and years down the road if the church needs service on the instrument, how can they find someone if I'm no longer around? (We're in the greater Portland, Oregon, area.)

I run Linux on my machines at home. I do have a virtual machine running Windows 7. Will that be adequate to start with the free version of Hauptwerk. I'm sure it won't be as good as using a native computer, but would it work at all? From reading Hauptwerk Explained, and from other things I've heard over the years, I expect eventually to look for a Mac for the project.

Thanks for any help, including where I should be asking these questions if here is the wrong place.

engrssc

Re: New Builder Questions

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 1:08 pm

You are much better off when starting to begin with a proper computer, Mac preferably altho a PC running Win 7 will work very well (IMHO) From personal experience, while very doable, setting up Hauptwerk has details to work out, it's not useful to add extra complications, certainly not initially.

The Forum here is the best place to ask questions as there are many very knowledgeable contributors that can answer just about any questions, and as a backup, Martin is the most knowledgeable and follows all questions with expert analysis.

As far as service, etc, in the future, there are suggestions followed by many such as using quality components, which esp includes the computer. Many of us never permit the computer to have internet connection. For the most part, someone with good computer skills can service the computer which is probably one of the more vulnerable components with needed assisting here from Forum folks.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 1:22 pm

Hello OregonOrgan,

Thanks very much for the interest in Hauptwerk and welcome to the forum.

To add to Ed's reply (thanks, Ed):

OregonOrgan wrote:I run Linux on my machines at home. I do have a virtual machine running Windows 7. Will that be adequate to start with the free version of Hauptwerk. I'm sure it won't be as good as using a native computer, but would it work at all?

I would guess that it's probably possible to get it running under a Windows 7 virtual machine running on Linux, but I don't know, and can't promise it, and as Ed mentioned it potentially adds complexities (audio, MIDI drivers, etc.) and might introduce unexpected behaviour and perform less well. By all means try it, but I definitely wouldn't recommend putting too much emphasis on the results.

The platforms we officially support, and hardware/platforms in general, are covered here:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/learn-more/requirements/
https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/PDF/HauptwerkPrerequisites.pdf
https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/PDF/HauptwerkBackgroundTechnicalInfoOnComputerHardware.pdf

OregonOrgan wrote:First question. After I finish building this, and years down the road if the church needs service on the instrument, how can they find someone if I'm no longer around? (We're in the greater Portland, Oregon, area.)

There's a very knowledgeable and helpful gentleman in Canada called Francois Ratte ( http://www.hauptwerkconsultant.com/ ) who provides remote technical services to Hauptwerk users on a consultancy basis. He looks after a number of church installations and has set them up so that he can maintain them remotely via the Internet. He might be worth contacting.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

brooke.benfield

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 1:49 pm

Hello OregonOrgan;

We are essentially neighbors so I'm extending an invitation to you to come over to Gethsemane Lutheran Church and see/hear our Hauptwerk installation.

If you are interested PM me for addresses, etc.
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR

jkinkennon

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 3:31 pm

The Gethsemane Lutheran HW organ is a great example to check out. There is also a similar lower-budget install in McMinnville. Forum user Tweedle_Dee would doubtless invite you to visit and there is the added advantage of a small Moeller pipe organ in the same sanctuary to compare the realism of Hauptwerk.

You are also welcome to listen to my own multi-channel HW install here in Vancouver and look at a couple of my console projects. There is a 4-manual that I play daily, a 3-manual Rodgers drawknob console in progress, and a cut down Allen console that will work well with touchscreens.

There is also a gentleman formerly with Rodgers (Matt) who advertises on eBay and has a huge assortment of available consoles right in our area.

My contact info is on the web site shown below.

engrssc

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 11:16 pm

brooke.benfield wrote:We are essentially neighbors so I'm extending an invitation to you to come over to Gethsemane Lutheran Church and see/hear our Hauptwerk installation.

Unfortunately, I noticed none of the previously posted pictures exist anymore. Any chance they are still available anywhere, in that a picture being worth 1K of words?

Rgds,
Ed

brooke.benfield

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 2:34 am

Hi Ed;

It does appear that Inspired Acoustics has removed the photos I submitted to them regarding the installation at Gethsemane Lutheran Church from their website. IA is probably better served by devoting their resources to newer products.

I did not put photos of the GLC installation on the HW forum on purpose so that people would be incentivized to visit the article at inspiredacoustics.com. I guess I could put photos up here but this installation is not "new news" any more. I'll think about it.
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR

engrssc

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 3:07 am

Hi Brooke,

There is still much to be learned from a successful H/W installation, even as an inspiration of possibilities. :)
And it is "new - news" to someone newly starting on a Hauptwerk venture.

Rgds,
Ed

jkinkennon

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 4:14 pm

I agree that it would be great to have the photos back. The Gethsemane Lutheran install is a great example of a HW install in a public space. I had very little to do with this install, really just some help with expression pedal linkages, but it was a thrill to hear the organ and an inspiration to go ahead with Behringer 2031A studio monitors for a pair of installs. I'd donate space for a folder on my site -- you could point to the photos with your own URL if you wished.

Having said this I have been remiss in getting my own photo gallery running and should do so.

engrssc

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 4:29 pm

To that, I say HURRAY !! :D : 8)

Rgds,
Ed

OregonOrgan

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 6:09 pm

Thank you to all of you who replied to my post. I'm very slowly getting started with this project, so I'll take all of the above advice, and study some more. Thanks, too, for the invitations to visit. I will likely take up your offers, but it will be awhile before I'm far enough along to be ready to ask intelligent questions.

My next step will be to go on Craigslist and pick up a midi keyboard so I have something midi for Hauptwerk to talk to.

I'm glad to have found this group so willing to share their experience.

Antoni Scott

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 9:50 pm

To OregonOrgan:
By all means use the Rodgers as a donor for a Hauptwerk conversion. I converted a Rodgers and I have known many others that have converted defunct electronic organs to Hauptwerk. Its easier than it looks. The old digital and analog organ consoles are very well made and beg to be converted. In most cases, the manuals are wood core, the stops have double action magnets and the combination actions still work, Send me a PM and I'll explain what I did.
Antoni

dhm

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 3:56 am

OregonOrgan wrote:it will be awhile before I'm far enough along to be ready to ask intelligent questions.

Ask away, and as soon as you like.
Remember, the only dumb questions are the ones you're too afraid to ask. :D
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

Return to General discussion