It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:14 am

Tragic Loss to Organ Community

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Antoni Scott

Tragic Loss to Organ Community

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 3:02 pm

All:
I just heard that Pierre Pincemaille, organist of St.Denis (Cavaille-Coll Opus 1) passed away a few weeks ago.
I was, of course, shocked and saddened as he was an outstanding organist and improviser.

Pierre Pincemaille was a gentleman of great skill, and his passing is a great loss to the organ community.

Antoni Scott

Joris

Re: Tragic Loss to Organ Community

PostSat Feb 03, 2018 8:26 am

Pierre Pincemaille died on January 12, 2018 at the age of 61. He suffered from lung cancer. He has been organist in Saint-Denis in Paris for 30 years.

He was best known as a phenomenal improviser. He recorded 8 CD’s with only improvisations. Furthermore he made recordings of 19th and early 20th century French organ music (Franck, Widor, Duruflé, Vierne, the early work of Messiaen…)
His improvisation style reminds us of Pierre Cochereau, which he considered as his spiritual father, although he never took a course with him.

He was a virtuoso and knew the secret of original and sometimes highly unexpected registrations. In Saint-Denis, the other splendid gothic cathedral in Paris, he wanted to recreate the atmosphere which reigned in Notre-Dame Cathedral during the Cochereau era. Just watch a few Youtube videos to convince yourself.

He always refused to teach improvisation as he preferred to learn it by listening to others.
His death is another major loss for the organ world in particular and for music in general.

Antoni Scott

PostSat Feb 03, 2018 8:58 am

In 2005 I had the honor of visiting Mr. Pierre Pincemaille and his charming wife,Anne-France, at St. Denis with my wife and daughter. The visit, of course, was to see/hear the magnificent Cavaille-Coll, Opus 1. Mr. Pincemaille dazzled us with his amazing improvisations. My daughter, in her early 20's and unaccustomed to such virtuosity and genius combined, was stunned. We were able to stand on one of the walk-ways high up and parallel to the console itself so received the best possible sonic experience. In retrospect, the organ even by todays standards, must have reset the standard by which all organs were measured back in 1841. As we all know, Cavaille-Coll became pre-eminent organ builder of his time. Of course, it was the first organ that Cavaille-Coll built using the then new device called the Barker lever action. Everything else after that changed forever.

Regrettably St. Denis is in an area outside of Paris right in the sewer of the Islamic extremism terrorist community and I would not feel safe visiting again. How tragic for eveyone.

There are no words that can comfort the Pincemaille family other than to say, Pierre was a gentleman, an outstanding musician and a genius improviser. His passing is a tragic loss to his family, the organ community and to all those that knew him. Rest is peace, Pierre Pincemaille.

Antoni Scott

organplayer

PostSat Feb 03, 2018 11:39 am

Regrettably St. Denis is in an area outside of Paris right in the sewer of the Islamic extremism terrorist community and I would not feel safe visiting again. How tragic for eveyone.

Sorry, but this is completely wrong! The area around the cathedral of St. Denis is definitively not unsafe. (or do you like to go there at midnight?). I have been there a lot of times and was never involved in any kind of harassment or whatever.

Antoni Scott

PostSat Feb 03, 2018 1:26 pm

Sorry, but this is completely wrong! The area around the cathedral of St. Denis is definitively not unsafe. (or do you like to go there at midnight?). I have been there a lot of times and was never involved in any kind of harassment or whatever.

I hope I am wrong and I hope you are right, but I was told last year by a resident that lives in Paris. I would like to return to St. Denis. For anyone that is interested, the organ is spectacular.

organplayer

PostSun Feb 04, 2018 6:49 am

The Basilique is in the busy heart of St. Denis (which is not unsafe by itself, but only in some areas away from the Basilique). Use Metro M13 from Paris and leave at Station St. Denis Basilique. The Basilique is very nearby. Enjoy your next visit!

Yes, there are wonderful organs and excellent organists in Paris and the surroundings. Did you ever listen to the organ in St. Eustache? This is may favorite. The both young titulaires are excellent organists.

sesquialtera

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 1:27 pm

St Eustache is very near "Les Halles", this is the busy heart of Paris too... not really safe, not really unsafe, it
depends of your own cursor, but visiting those two places is a thing to do when you stay in Paris,
not only for the organs (You can't be sure you will have the luck to hear them) but for the place and its History.
And even if St Eustache organ is mute this day, the view of the instrument is impressive !

Concerning Pierre Pincemaille, he was a really good talented organist, and his improvisations were astonishing ! The CC organ of St Denis is a big beast not easy to master. He was open minded enough to accept playing on Joerg Glebe's home Hauptwerk console. http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1873&start=120#p105398
unfortunatly canceled for illness reasons ... this concert would have been exceptionnal !

Return to General discussion