It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 am

Video recording Hauptwerk performances

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Antoni Scott

Video recording Hauptwerk performances

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 8:15 am

All:
I see many Hauptwerk owners uploading their performances via multi-angle video cameras and was wondering what equipment they use and how they do it. Some of the uploads look very professional. Camera image quality is impressive and in many cases far better than the image quality I see from regular digital cameras using the video feature.
Can anyone recommend a multi-camera set up, i.e. three or four cameras ? Most importantly for me is how the cameras record the audio. With my Hauptwerk setup, I don't use speakers since I live in a condo. Usually, camera microphone quality is substandard. I am lucky with my Nikon 5500 that there is a microphone input jack.
Are there set-ups that allow an audio input, say from my headphone output ? Also I see many of these video uploads cut from the manuals to a shot of he pedals, etc,etc without any interruption to the audio. This obviously has been edited after the recording. Do these cameras come with that kind of software or are they separate ? An editing software recommendation would be appreciated (one that is simple to use, just basic editing !!!!)..
Antoni

phjo

Re: Video recording Hauptwerk performances

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 3:38 am

You probably don't want to record audio with the cameras. Either you use Hauptwerk builtin recorder, or a good audio recorder with good mikes if you want natural acoustics (for a dry or semi-dry sampleset used within a reverberant space)

Some sophisticated professional equipment might be able to get audio and video properly synchronized but my experience is that it is not so difficult with a simple piece of software such as iMovie (that is for macos, but I am sure equivalent software exist for windows) to mix these separate flux into one.

I use only one video camera, but the process would not be very different using several : you adjust the different sources in the timeline to synchronize them the best you can, remove all audio from the video sources to only keep one good audio source, then you let iMovie do its job creating the mixed videos, exporting directly into youtube...

phjo

dhm

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 4:42 am

I'm not sure what equipment is being used, but for examples of what can be done, check out the YouTube channel of "prinzipal67".
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

Antoni Scott

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 6:46 am

To Phjo:
Perhaps my initial request was not clear but I thought I stated that since I live in a condo that I do not use an external audio system. The post suggested that I tap the audio through a headphone jack (no room acoustics) and use multiple cameras at the same time.

Perhaps the better question should have been asked this way. What multiple camera system can I use with Hauptwerk and not record through speakers ? Or are there Hauptwerk users that do not use speakers and use multiple cameras ? How do they do it ?

Antoni

organsRgreat

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 7:07 am

If you are willing to pay $299 for a piece of software, Plural Eyes will synchronise video with audio perfectly:

https://www.redgiant.com/products/plura ... gLlbPD_BwE

This software is extremely easy to use – basically you load audio and video files, then click on the “sync” button, after which the program gets on with making the necessary adjustments. I've used it myself when I needed to record video and audio separately, and it works beautifully. Hauptwerk's built-in recorder will record the audio for you “at source”, thus ensuring best possible quality.

Drift between audio and video only becomes apparent on longer files, so you might find that a straightforward video editor would be adequate if the music is not too long. I use Videopad because it's easy to operate and fairly cheap:

http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html

Just check carefully what is “free”, as I found after a while that I needed to pay a modest sum. There are of course plenty of other video editors available for Windows PCs and Macs.

I'm puzzled that you find the video “in many cases far better than the image quality I see from regular digital cameras using the video feature”. I use a mid-range DSLR – a Sony A65 – and video recorded at the best quality settings looks fine on a 27 inch monitor. A prime lens will work better if light levels are lowish, as they often are indoors, and will enable you to throw the background out of focus. Zoom lenses are more flexible but usually have a smaller maximum aperture.

I have used a 28mm f1.8 lens on my Sony A65, and a 20mm f1.7 lens on a Panasonic GH2, and obtain good results with both. Provided the quality is satisfactory it doesn't matter which cameras you use, as you'll align the video clips during the editing process. An illustration on the PluralEyes site shows that software synchronising files from three cameras and two audio recorders.

phjo

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 7:58 am

Perhaps my initial request was not clear but I thought I stated that since I live in a condo that I do not use an external audio system. The post suggested that I tap the audio through a headphone jack (no room acoustics) and use multiple cameras at the same time.

Yes, my answer was a bit general and a part of it did not apply to your specific problem, but the advice remains : don't use the audio capability of one or another camera, be it with an external microphone or even using audio through a jack but instead record it from hauptwerk and sync audio and video feeds, either by hand using iMovie or something else.

That is what I've done for my channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3NTEZx2pZ_rpDqQG6a-zxA and it works (although sometimes, on the iOs devices I use, sound can get out of sync with video watching youtube videos, but not only on my videos of course). Paying 299$ for this kind of work (a couple of minutes for each video, but of course only one camera in my case... Just multiply this time with the number of video feeds you want to include) seems overkill for me, but I understand for some projects it might prove valuable.

That said, if your video feeds are mostly withouth sound, synchronizing them at hand will be a bit more tricky maybe, but still manageable. PluralEyes if I understand correctly will be more or less useless then...

Antoni Scott

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 8:37 am

To Phjo and All:
I agree that the internal audio recording is of less than excellent quality. My Nikon D5500 has a microphone input ( never seen this before on a camera) which I found to be of good audio quality, at least compared to using an external microphone and audio speakers. Even wet recordings are ruined by room acoustics, in my case causing booming and other things. Going right into Hauptwerk's output by tapping into the headphone pre-amp (I have a preSonus HP10) avoids all the room noise, and fortunately with my Nikon I can tap into the microphone input. I get acceptable quality audio recording quality but only one camera position.

The multi camera idea just looks so much more professional and I see so many people doing it today I thought I'd give it a try but I don't want to spend a lot of money on an experiment that may not work out. With four cameras staring at me at every position, I'd probably freak out and need 100 attempts to get it right.

Antoni

csw900

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 1:39 pm

To all interested in quality audio recording.

This subject has been discussed before on this forum.

The reason for not using the/any camera for recording audio is that all (until proved otherwise)
cameras have audio compression whether the input is from a microphone or via a built in
jack socket. This ruins the audio.

Always record the audio seperately on good equipment and mix it with the video later.

csw900

sonar11

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 4:44 pm

Antoni, I would not "tap into the headphone jack". Just use HW's built in WAV recording feature, record the WAV's to disk, then use your video editing software to combine the various video files with the audio/wav files.

Antoni Scott

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 6:32 am

All:
Thankyou for your input and suggestions. It seems that the solution is not that simple. To do it right would require spending more money than I want. It was just a thought .
Antoni

Opus1954

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 11:56 pm

Hi Antoni,

I started with my iPhone (and borrowed another one). Later I purchased two used GoPro3 (eBay). They record audio as well and are easy to position (if you spend a few dollars in China for some brackets, holders, mounts, etc.) I record audio directly in Hauptwerk. Nice thing is that GoPros have apps for mobile phones (or tablet), and you can easily check the view, but also start and stop the video from a distance. When starting the videos and audio I do that quickly so that the sound/video needs little adjustment to be lined up later.

Video editing I do in iMovie. Add two video tracks and the audio track. You can see the graphic display (graph) of the sound, also of the video. First thing I do: line up the audio perfectly between audio track and the two video tracks (easy to do).
Next I start editing the video. I cut, zoom out, zoom in, zoom out, picture in the picture, overlap, etc. But I don't move any of the material to the left or right, so that it stays in line with the audio always.

Lastly add a title, and done. I am doing this almost weekly and can get a recording and upload it within one hour :-)

• Example with two iPhones (long time ago) and picture in picture:
https://youtu.be/7k1X-iRaKuo

• Example to two GoPros from different angles, cross fading:
https://youtu.be/HXY-yEW2dtI

• I like to record in the dark as you see. The GoPros don't focus well in dark. So I invested in a DSLR which gives a better image. I tricked the following video, by using one camera, and recording video twice: playing back the Hauptwerk recording and pretend I play along - but nobody knows this :-)
https://youtu.be/-X9qU1rywNM

Hope that my experience and samples give you some ideas.
Frank

Return to General discussion