It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:42 am

Unsecure Forum

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

burtonwurli

Unsecure Forum

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 11:29 am

I have just had to log into the forum, which I don't normally have to do.

Firefox has informed me that the forum is not secure. There is a crossed out lock image when I log on together with a warning

engrssc

Re: Unsecure Forum

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 11:35 am

No such warning with Google Chrome. I've had several issues with Firefox previously and don't use it anymore.

I also use AVG Internet Security which evaluates web sites and warns and blocks any suspicious sites. There is a free version as well as an advanced (for pay) version. AVG has no problem with the Hauptwerk Forum.

https://www.avg.com/en-ww/ppc/protection-offer-comparison?dsc=4wf&d=20&ppc=a2&device=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy6r3_va02QIVAylpCh0xBAPIEAAYASAAEgIR6PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CILk3If3tNkCFQWxTwodksIKEA

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 12:01 pm

Hello burtonwurli,

To add to Ed's reply, we do hope to move the forum to HTTPS (a secured connection) in the medium-term, but doing so has some costs and technical challenges, and it's only recently that there has been a recommendation to move non-sensitive websites (such as forums) to HTTPS. Traditional HTTP isn't really a significant security risk for a forum, in that in the worst case all that somebody nefarious might be able to do would be to obtain your forum password as it was transmitted across the Internet (which in itself would be difficult for them to do). As long as you don't use the same password for multiple websites (which technically you should never do anyway, for security), then even if they were able to get your forum password they wouldn't be able to do anything apart from log in to your forum account.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

tf11972

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 5:08 am

If the cost is to get a certificate, I would recommend ordering a certificate from Let's Encrypt. This is free of charge and works very well for my two websites.
Best regards
Thomas

Forestpipes - Virtual Pipe Organs
https://forestpipes.de

mdyde

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 5:16 am

Thanks, Thomas.

No -- the issue isn't the cost of the certificate. I'm not personally involved in setting up Milan Digital Audio's website, but I understand that there are some additional complications/work involved in getting the forum and the rest of the website to integrate together if the forum is moved to HTTPs.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to General discussion