It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:13 am

Checking if password was hacked/stolen

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

engrssc

Checking if password was hacked/stolen

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 12:47 pm

Something I'm looking into as after posting on several Forums, I've gotten a huge amount of spam. :mrgreen: A place to begin checking is shown to be here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/343947/how-to-check-if-your-password-has-been-stolen/

FYI, no evidence that it involves the Hauptwerk Forum at this point or the discussion regarding a download site for a recent sample set.

Rgds,
Ed

jkinkennon

Re: Checking if password was hacked/stolen

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 12:56 pm

I guess I don't understand why your password would be needed to send you spam. It's far more likely that one of your email recipients has passed your email address along to an internet abuser. Am I missing something here? I get tons of spam that I never see except for a few occasions where these nasty folks find ways around the spam filters. My email address is on my web site so it gets picked up quite easily. I just make sure to use first rate service providers that catch 99.9% of the junk.

engrssc

Re: Checking if password was hacked/stolen

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 1:07 pm

It's more usernames as well as passwords that can be the problem. The hackers, it seems, use one piece of info to get more. such as email addresses, etc. Just exploring possible breaches at this point. It seems unusual that so many spammers have gotten thru within just a few days.

I think the greater emphasis is to make sure we visit secure web sites.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to General discussion