Search:
Submit Search


Ten years with Hauptwerk and going strong !!!

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.

Ten years with Hauptwerk and going strong !!!

Postby Antoni Scott » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:40 am

Kudo's to Martin Dyde and the Milan Team for a decade of playing pleasure (for me) with Hauptwerk. I have never experienced any technology (i.e. Hauptwerk) that has been the BEST for one year, never mind ten. Although I have no intention of changing to something that is claimed to be better (by the way, does anyone even claim that ?) I am still curious about the digital organ technology field and am constantly searching. I am amused at some organists that still stick to other brands. Better yet, how about some organists that have never heard of Hauptwerk. Is that even possible ?

I was trying to explain to a friend what Hauptwerk actually is.

Is it a synthesized sound ? I would say no.
Is it a sampled sound ? I would also say no, because in my limited experience of electronics I would say that a sound wave may be recorded (sampled) from a pipe and then an oscillator (via filters, etc,) create as close as possible the same waveform. This has been claimed since 1970 and the end results leave much to be desired in my opinion. Close but no cigar.
Would I be correct to say that Hauptwerk is a recording of the actual pipe sound in its acoustical environment and is played back when we touch the key ? Each pipe sound is a stand-alone recording x hundreds of played back recordings of other pipes.
Antoni Scott
Member
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:18 pm

Re: Ten years with Hauptwerk and going strong !!!

Postby mdyde » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:15 am

Hello Antoni,

Thanks for the enthusiasm, and glad to hear you're still enjoying it as much.

Antoni Scott wrote:s it a sampled sound ? I would also say no, because in my limited experience of electronics I would say that a sound wave may be recorded (sampled) from a pipe and then an oscillator (via filters, etc,) create as close as possible the same waveform. This has been claimed since 1970 and the end results leave much to be desired in my opinion. Close but no cigar.
Would I be correct to say that Hauptwerk is a recording of the actual pipe sound in its acoustical environment and is played back when we touch the key ? Each pipe sound is a stand-alone recording x hundreds of played back recordings of other pipes.


I think you're restricting the definition of 'sampled sound' to samples of a single waveform (oscillation). That is indeed one type of sampled sound (which was used in the 1970s, due to limited memory and processing power, for example, and with one sample use for multiple keys/ranks), but a 'sample' can in principle be any length (many oscillations, and recorded wet or dry, or in any other ways). Long reverberant per-pipe recordings of ranks are still by definition 'samples'.

Hauptwerk is based on 'samples' (long ones, one per pipe, either wet or dry), which it modifies in real-time and individually (to model wind pressure variations, allow real-time voicing, etc.). That modification can be seen as a type of (re-)synthesis, so it's correct to say that it's sampled-based, but with some (re-)synthesis.
Best regards,
Martin.

[Please use email or the Contact page if you need to contact us privately, rather than private forum messages.]

Image
User avatar
mdyde
Moderator
 
Posts: 10644
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:19 pm
Location: UK

Re: Ten years with Hauptwerk and going strong !!!

Postby ldeutsch » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:35 pm

Antoni's post made me curious so I checked my records. I purchased my first HW license on February 23, 2008 so I have also just had a ten-year anniversary.

As a longtime developer of digital organ and synthesizers, I very much appreciated what HW could do in software in realtime - even back in 2008. Of course, its even better today.

I had always thought that by this stage of my life I would have a pipe organ in my home. HW has made this pretty much unnecessary - and save me lots of maintenance headaches too. I now have two HW consoles (theater and classical) and many different sampled organs, some of my own design. HW has really changed the way I approach organ development.

Thanks to Martin and Brent and the rest of the HW team - and congratulations on keeping me happy for ten years.

Les
User avatar
ldeutsch
Member
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:02 pm
Location: Chatsworth, California, USA

Re: Ten years with Hauptwerk and going strong !!!

Postby RichardW » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:22 pm

Clearly there was something in the air about that time.

I recently came across the emails associated with my first Hauptwerk PC. I seem to have built it in December 2007 and acquired the MDA Metz as a Christmas present the same year.

In fact, Boëllmann's Suite Gothique is on the music stand at this moment and the Metz is loaded and ready to go.

Thanks to Martin and Brett for making me happy and keeping me out of mischief for many hours since then!

Regards,
Richard
User avatar
RichardW
Member
 
Posts: 763
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:16 am
Location: UK

Re: Ten years with Hauptwerk and going strong !!!

Postby TheOrganDoc » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:05 pm

Hi all I just checked and My HW MeliTzer is 13 years young and plays better than ever ! :D
Last edited by TheOrganDoc on Fri May 11, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............
User avatar
TheOrganDoc
Member
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:13 pm
Location: South East, Florida, USA

Re: Ten years with Hauptwerk and going strong !!!

Postby engrssc » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:37 pm

No doubt dating myself, I still have a copy of Hauptwerk V 1 from Crumhorn Labs. I was "with" Hauptwerk a while before joining the Forum. And, yes, still very happy esp to see the progress. Sometimes progress "creeps" up slowly so one doesn't notice the progress as a big deal. But it really is. Looking forward to V 5 now. I'm sure there are many enhancements on Martin's list as he often mentions this or that idea be placed on "that" list. Hopefully all those enhancements won't burden my CPU and memory too much. But understand every improvement comes with some kind of a cost.

Same is true with cars. Maybe some of us can remember the headlight bright/dim switch being a "toe std/piston" on floor? Or needing to lower the window to signal a turn? 8) Yeah, cool esp in the winter.

Rgds,
Ed
User avatar
engrssc
Member
 
Posts: 5431
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:12 pm
Location: Roscoe, IL, USA

Re: Ten years with Hauptwerk and going strong !!!

Postby telemanr » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:33 am

I too started with version 1 of HW. And it’s all been draining my bank account ever since. But worth every penny.
Rob Enns
User avatar
telemanr
Member
 
Posts: 1536
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:18 pm
Location: Brampton, ON, Canada

Re: Ten years with Hauptwerk and going strong !!!

Postby Andrew Grahame » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:15 am

A similar tale from me - I began in August 2006 under Hauptwerk Version 2. There's no doubt that this software and everything related to it (including the Forum) has changed my life immensely, and for the better!

Thank you, Martin, for your wonderful creation, and thanks also to the current team who help to maintain and support it.

Andrew
Andrew Grahame
Member
 
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:51 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Ten years with Hauptwerk and going strong !!!

Postby Uwe Mahnken » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:17 am

May 2004 :-)
Uwe Mahnken
Member
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun May 30, 2004 12:59 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Ten years with Hauptwerk and going strong !!!

Postby engrssc » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:13 am

telemanr wrote: And it’s all been draining my bank account ever since..


And here I thought I was the only one this "draining situation" was happening to. :wink:

All this talk is starting to make me feel old (er). :o Ten plus years is quite a while. And before that, at least for me, was Schober and MidiTzer.

Rgds,
Ed
User avatar
engrssc
Member
 
Posts: 5431
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:12 pm
Location: Roscoe, IL, USA

Re: Ten years with Hauptwerk and going strong !!!

Postby Andrew Grahame » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:20 am

Ed, you are definitely not alone!

Andrew
Andrew Grahame
Member
 
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:51 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Ten years with Hauptwerk and going strong !!!

Postby kwbmusic » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:27 am

Looks like I'm part of the 2007 starters. Until reading these posts i hadn't realised the amount of time that has passed. Probably keep me going another ten years when I'll be 92!
Keith
User avatar
kwbmusic
Member
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:06 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Ten years with Hauptwerk and going strong !!!

Postby Antoni Scott » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:38 am

All:
This is the kind of "feel good" post that I like reading, i.e. so many happy customers. My story is sort-of simple. Back in 1992 I bought an ASR 10 which had an astounding 32 notes of polyphony !!! and after obtaining some software samples from a company called Rubber Chicken I was pretty well satisfied for a while. As long as I didn't exceed 32 simultaneous notes, all worked well. I added another ASR 10 and converted a 32 note pedalboard to digital using a WERSI digital scanning board. The Rubber Chicken samples were very authentic, extremely so, in fact, which was a good thing because I didn't even consider an Allen or a Rodgers. They were grossly overpriced and the sound was, well we all know !! Then I heard about Artisan selling a "kit" of about 20-30 stops. Their demo CD was OK, but not as good as my ASR 10, just bigger. Interestingly, purely by accident, I was searching "virtual organ" from a different location from my home computer and Krumhorn Labs appeared. Being skeptical, I contacted Brett who put me in touch with some lady in Long Island. Maybe it took me 30 seconds or less to decide but I was ordering a Hauptwerk over the phone while driving home. Wow, that was back in 2007.
Computers were something I was not interested in and a certain level of computer knowledge was necessary to get this thing all working. Help was not available, no one had heard of Hauptwerk and basically I was on my own. Fortunately, (considering that there were probably only a few hundred Hauptwerk owners in 2007) , I found someone a few miles from where I lived who was able to make sense out of all of this. Back then, Hauptwerk-ready computers were not available. A lot has changed.
Antoni Scott
Member
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:18 pm

Re: Ten years with Hauptwerk and going strong !!!

Postby TheOrganDoc » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:18 pm

Hi Ed, do you remember having cars with the Start switch on a left side Toe Stud ? ? I Do ! ! :D


engrssc wrote:No doubt dating myself, I still have a copy of Hauptwerk V 1 from Crumhorn Labs. I was "with" Hauptwerk a while before joining the Forum. And, yes, still very happy esp to see the progress. Sometimes progress "creeps" up slowly so one doesn't notice the progress as a big deal. But it really is. Looking forward to V 5 now. I'm sure there are many enhancements on Martin's list as he often mentions this or that idea be placed on "that" list. Hopefully all those enhancements won't burden my CPU and memory too much. But understand every improvement comes with some kind of a cost.

Same is true with cars. Maybe some of us can remember the headlight bright/dim switch being a "toe std/piston" on floor? Or needing to lower the window to signal a turn? 8) Yeah, cool esp in the winter.

Rgds,
Ed
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............
User avatar
TheOrganDoc
Member
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:13 pm
Location: South East, Florida, USA

Re: Ten years with Hauptwerk and going strong !!!

Postby organtechnology » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:04 pm

That starter switch architecture is still used in toe studs for organ!

TheOrganDoc wrote:Hi Ed, do you remember having cars with the Start switch on a left side Toe Stud ? ? I Do ! ! :D


engrssc wrote:No doubt dating myself, I still have a copy of Hauptwerk V 1 from Crumhorn Labs. I was "with" Hauptwerk a while before joining the Forum. And, yes, still very happy esp to see the progress. Sometimes progress "creeps" up slowly so one doesn't notice the progress as a big deal. But it really is. Looking forward to V 5 now. I'm sure there are many enhancements on Martin's list as he often mentions this or that idea be placed on "that" list. Hopefully all those enhancements won't burden my CPU and memory too much. But understand every improvement comes with some kind of a cost.

Same is true with cars. Maybe some of us can remember the headlight bright/dim switch being a "toe std/piston" on floor? Or needing to lower the window to signal a turn? 8) Yeah, cool esp in the winter.

Rgds,
Ed
Complete VPO systems powered by Hauptwerk™. Real Wood Consoles, PC or MAC Computer Sound Modules, Audio for Home or Church.
info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com

Authorized Hauptwerk Dealer; Milan Digital Audio Dealer..
User avatar
organtechnology
Member
 
Posts: 1728
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:58 pm
Location: DFW, TX USA

Next

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests