It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:10 pm

Now recorded the world famous organ of Krewerd build 1531

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Siegfred

Now recorded the world famous organ of Krewerd build 1531

PostMon Oct 23, 2006 3:37 pm

This month (october 2006) we have recorded one of the oldest organs in the Netherlands. This famous organ of Krewerd (unknown builder 1531) in the province of Groningen is on the UNESCO top 10 projects from the Dutch Cultural Historical Heritage. See http://odin.let.rug.nl/CB/top100/lijsten/top10s_nl.html#top10_orgels

The disposition is:
Prestant 8 ft (original)
Holpyp 8 ft (original)
Octaaf 4 ft (original)
Quint 3 ft (original)
Octaaf 2 ft (original)
Sesquialtera 2 st disc (1975)
Fluyt 4 ft (1857)
Tuning: ca. a half tone above normal.
1/4-comma meantone without modifications.

This centuries old organ with maximum resonance and volume is of an seldom heard rough clarity.
Available spring 2007
For more information:
http://www.hauptwerk.nl/krewerden.php English or
http://www.hauptwerk.nl/krewerdnl.php Nederlands
Last edited by Siegfred on Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

gecko

PostMon Oct 23, 2006 4:49 pm

This is a very exciting instrument with its glittering Renaissance sound. It would be excellent in early Tudor music (Tallis, etc) - many of the English organs of that period seem to have been made by Dutch builders. There were also Dutch, or at least Flemish, builders in Spain, so maybe this would also suit the music of contemporary Spanish composers (Bermudo, Cabezon, etc). Good stuff!
I still have a very small website
http://dustyfeet.com

christopher james quinn

PostMon Oct 23, 2006 7:26 pm

Siegfried, will these new sets be in HW version 1 or version 2?

Thank you.
NO PM's Please. Use Email.

Christopher James Quinn
Brooklyn, Earth
-----------------------
www.cjquinn.com
www.cjquinn.com/organ

Siegfred

Krewerd and Eenum

PostTue Oct 24, 2006 2:27 am

christopher james quinn wrote:Siegfried, will these new sets be in HW version 1 or version 2?

Christopher,

the set comes only available in HW 2 with dongle.

regards Fred de Jong hauptwerk.nl

Thank you.

adri

PostSun Nov 05, 2006 10:03 pm

Short octave: CDEFGA-c3

Case with imitation pipes painted on shutters:

Siegfred

Pictures of Krewerd

PostMon Nov 06, 2006 4:21 am

Adri, you send 2 pictures but no text. Therefore I ask you (and other readers): do you prefer the short-octave or can I better change it to normal. Or both?

Fred

Dutch Brad

PostMon Nov 06, 2006 3:21 pm

I know this organ very well and have played it and listened to it being played several times.

I think you should leave the short octave, also in the pedal. If people want another system they should buy another organ. This is the best preserved 16th century organ in Holland, seeing as the 1511 Van Covelens organ in Alkmaar has partly been ruined by the last restoration.

The Holpijp dates back to about 1450 and is likely the oldest pipework in the Netherlands.

I really hope you are capable of making very high quality recordings because I don't think anyone will get a second chance.

This organ belongs to the so-called "altar-organs" and is not a Renaissance organ, but a Gothic organ. The year 1531 would suggest differently but this organ is of an older style than the 1511 Alkmaar organ.

The keyboard dates back to 1731, the organ having a different compass before then. The stop knobs are reconstructions made in 1975.

This organ is unique in that the pipe work has not been restored. A.H. de Graaf restored the windchests, rebuilt the Sexquialter but left the pipe work unrestored except where absolutely necessary. This organ sounds much older than the recently restored organ in Alkmaar.

The sound is very imposing and loud. It is difficult to imagine how it would have sounded when it still had its 6-rank Mixture instead of the 1857 Fluit-4.

The organ is now half a tone above 440 Hz but originally it was half a tone lower.

[)Naeryl(]

PostMon Nov 06, 2006 3:35 pm

The "problem" of the short octave is very similar to, in France, when a french classical organ must be restored: which type of pedalboard installing, a french type or a german type?

Some organ builders are find the solution to resolve the dilemna: installing the 2 type, wich are interchangeable.

(devine which is more used??)

Anton Heger

PostMon Nov 06, 2006 4:22 pm

do you prefer the short-octave or can I better change it to normal. Or both?

I would say, I do prefer normal. Why limit yourself when not really necessary?

adri

PostMon Nov 06, 2006 9:35 pm

I would say: leave the short octave as is; people should get to know how to play with it and experience old music playing firsthand with no compromises ! ! ! !

I played on Krewerd as well, before it was restored! Magnificent!

gecko

PostMon Nov 06, 2006 9:55 pm

I also prefer the short octave - there's a fair amount of old music that requires it.

You can, of course, supply both; also Martin is considering making a "short octave" switch for a future HW release.

I also think that the sample set should come with a small packet of raisins or currents, so we can match the keyboard....
I still have a very small website
http://dustyfeet.com

Return to Hauptwerk instruments