It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 pm

Hauptwerk set up help with Nord C2D/x keys

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

BLF

Hauptwerk set up help with Nord C2D/x keys

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 10:42 pm

I'm in need of some help in figuring out how to set up this software so my son can use it with a Nord c2d with pedal keys 27 and also how to get the x keys we have to trigger the stops.

We have tried the auto detect with no luck. See video: https://youtu.be/R1zhFBEoi0U

That is the trial version and I ordered the standard version for 250 USD that I am waiting for.

I'm a guitarist familar with pro tools le and using plug ins but this is a bit confusing. We have the C2D audio outs going to QSCs but do I also need a midi interface for the audio outs now when using it as a midi controller now?

Again, sorry for the noob questions but my son is dying to make this work as hes going to the ATOS camp next month in atlanta!

Thanks in advance for any help!

larason2

Re: Hauptwerk set up help with Nord C2D/x keys

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 12:43 am

You need a midi interface to connect the MIDI out port of the C2D to the computer, then make sure the interface is enabled in Hauptwerk. Unfortunately, the audio out ports will not work, since Hauptwerk works off of MIDI signals. The same is true for the X keys, unless they send MIDI signals, you won’t be able to use them to control stops on Hauptwerk. Not sure how to make X keys send MIDI signals, but it may be configurable with the app downloaded from their site.

BLF

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 5:59 am

So how can we get this to use the hauptwerk software for live playing the C2D without using protools etc?

And any out there use x keys auto detect stops?

BLF

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 7:31 am

I'm sure x keys guys will chime in but, I'm now programming the first group of 4 buttons on the x keys and I can assign 4 "Macros" - Text, Keystroke, Function or Shortcut. I'm assuming with the Keystroke, I can just auto detect a stop on Hauptwerk with a random key on the keyboard (which auto detects fine) THEN assign that keystroke to the correct x key.

Maybe this is the only way to do it? No problem, but want to get it right.

Also, on recommendation from Martin, I just ordered and M-Audio MTrack 2x2M with Midi in and out and 1/4 inch outputs for my qsc's ---- that should do the trick right?

I think I'm getting somewhere :)

larason2

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 8:48 am

The M audio interface should work to let you be able to use the C2D. Setting up the keyboard to send MIDI signals, then assigning that to the X keys would also work, but I wonder if there is an easier way through the X Keys app? Hope this gets it working for you.

BLF

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 10:48 am

Thanks Larason -- I was able to program each of the 36 x-keys to send Unicode and am now seeing the letters I assigned on notepad (as Martin suggested I try) and just confired I can now auto detect stops with the x keys!!!! Great stuff

Just waiting for the M Track 2x2M (Midi) and the Hauptwerk disc/usb in the mail.

Any advice on assigning the two keyboards on the Nord C2D and the 27 pedal keys to the Paramount 320 software? I'm thinking some of these drawbars on the Nords C2D can be used as well as the x keys to control the software ?

Dnsmo

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 12:35 pm

BLF wrote:I'm thinking some of these drawbars on the Nords C2D can be used as well as the x keys to control the software ?

Sure they can; it's left up to your creativity. 8)

I'm using a two-manual Hammond-Suzuki XK system for my Hauptwerk VPO, with 20 drawbars at my disposal. I haven't decided yet how to implement these. But I suppose one might consider using a drawbar as a virtual drawknob.
Dennis

larason2

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 1:48 pm

I agree with Dnsmo. My church uses a C2D, and I’m pretty sure all the controls and buttons are implemented in MIDI. To get the drawbar to work as a drawstop, you can probably just push it to the second last click, then auto detect pushing to the last click. Glad things are working so far!

BLF

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 9:09 pm

Awesome info guys thanks - I guess we can play around with the Drawbars after we get the thing rolling

BLF

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 9:15 pm

Also, once we get the m track 2x2m, is it just plug and play as far as Hauptwerk working with both keyboards AND the nord pedal keys?

IainStinson

PostWed Jun 27, 2018 3:45 am

Looking at the pedal board specification on the Nord site, it seems to transmit the pedal key presses on midi channel 3. You will need to connect the midi cable from the pedal board to a "bass pedal" midi in on the keyboard unit and the swell pedal in to the swell pedal in on the keyboard.

I assume the Nord will send midi out to Hauptwerk for the keyboards and pedal (Pedal on channel 3 ). I would hope that the swell pedal operation is encoded by the midi software in the keyboard unit to send midi continuous control sequences to Hauptwerk rather than just operate as a "volume" control on the Nord audio preamp.

Very interested in how this project goes.

Iain

BLF

PostWed Jun 27, 2018 6:13 am

Yes - both the Pedal Keys (midi cable) and Swell pedal (1/4 inch) are currently attached that way and it's how it's normally set up for playing. The Hauptwerk disc and the M-track 2x2M are scheduled to be here tomorrow so I'll let you guys know how it goes!

I'm just a Pro Tools using guitar player so this is new to me :)

Thanks to all who are chiming in, you guys are great ( so is Martin!!!) - I love forums!

BLF

PostThu Jun 28, 2018 3:14 pm

All is set and getting MIDI signals in thru the M-Track and getting great sound to the monitors on St. Anne's but issue now is we are trying to get the Pedal Keys to JUST control the pedals on Hauptwerk and the Great and Swell --- again all separate.

It’s auto detecting fine but when we start from the beginning, first by auto-detecting the swell, it works fine….

Then, when he uses the foot pedals and the great, it still controls the swell simultaneously. How do we separate the 3 (Swell, Great, Pedals) to send separate midi signals? When he auto detects the Great, then even the swell and pedal make the great trigger on Hauptwerk

Also the same is happening with the presets when you program them to the individual x keys – we auto detect preset 1 to x key 1 and it works fine, then when we auto detect preset 2 for x-key 2, it asks us if we want it to also control GT Thumb 1 and when we choose the bottom option to ONLY control 2, after confirming, it still controls 1 & 2 when you press 2……. Same thing as the above when auto detecting the two key boards and the pedals.

Whew --- hopefully that makes sense ---- sounds amazing :) Just have get these things separated

TheatreOrganNo1

PostThu Jun 28, 2018 5:54 pm

you could download Midi Ox and it will tell you what midi channels your manuals and pedalboard ect. are sending info on. Then you could manually input the midi channel, HW wont auto detect the keyboards on my organ just the pedalboard, so I have to manually enter them.
Jake C.
Organ Tuner, Shop Assistant at Carlton Smith Pipe Organ Restorations.
Atos-Cicatos
bartonbrass@sbcglobal.net

IainStinson

PostThu Jun 28, 2018 6:08 pm

I would suspect two possible issues.
a. Have you engaged operated the inter manual couplers of the St Anne Organ somehow? (See the description in the HW manual of a typical pipe organ if you don't understand this..)
or
b. The midi data coming from the Nord is not separated into distinct midi channels. By default the Nord sends midi data out on separate changes. It says in the Nord manual (pg 20)
how to change the midi channels from the System Menu but the defaults should be fine....
"MIDI Upper Channel
This sets the MIDI Channel that the upper/swell manual on the Nord
C2D transmits and responds to.
Range: Off, 1-16 (default = 1)
MIDI Lower Channel
This sets the MIDI channel that the lower/great manual on the Nord
C2D transmits and responds to.
Range: Off, 1-16, (default = 2)
MIDI Pedal Channel
This sets the MIDI channel that the Bass section of the Nord C2D
organ transmits (if the Great manual is split) and responds to.
Range: Off, 1-16, (default = 3)

If the midi channels for each manual and pedal board and the x-keys are different from each other, when you auto detect each manual then HW should only use only key presses from that manual to play that division of the organ.

I would try to solve the issue by having only the Nord system connected to the computer system.
1. I would reset the Nord to its default settings (if this is not too disruptive to your other use of the Nord).
2. I would set the Nord Midi local control (pg 20) to OFF so that the Nord would not sound its native voices.
3. I would use a program like midimedic (rather than Hauptwerk itself) to check that each manual and the pedal board were sending data on a distinct midi channel. (Load midimedic and not Hauptwerk...) http://www.midiworks.ca/index.php/37-downloads/downloads/11-midi-medic-139
4. Once each keyboard and the pedalboard were transmitting on separate channels, I would close midimedic and load Hauptwerk.
5. I would make sure that the midi input from the Nord was the only console midi input enabled in HW.
6. I would reset the midi settings for the St Anne virtual organ.
7. I would then auto detect the Swell division (top manual).
8. I would check it worked by drawing one swell stop and seeing that it played only from the top manual.
9. I would check that this sounded like only one stop! If it sounded like more I would check that the St Anne organ's full organ or crescendo pedal were not active.
10.If it played from the other manual or pedals I would check if the Swell to Grt (Swell to Pedal) were active and it they were clear them.
11. I would repeat steps 7-10 for the Great and Pedal organ
12. I would auto detect the swell pedal
Then and only then I would try to use the X-keys. These would need to be ona separate midi channel from any midi input coming from the Nord.

Good luck.
Iain
Next

Return to General discussion