It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:55 am

Hymn Tunes for Keyboards

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Andrew Grahame

Hymn Tunes for Keyboards

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 4:53 am

Recently I shared this on another forum. It's appropriate to share it here.

About 20 years ago I created a small publication of hymn tune arrangements. In each instance I took tunes in traditional SATB vocal harmony and thinned them down to 3 parts. The soprano line remained unaltered, and as far as possible I left the bass part intact. Then I collapsed the alto and tenor parts into a single new alto part. This work derived in part from a time in the late 1970's when I created similar arrangements for a young beginner organist at my church so he could play manuals-only accompaniments to simple choir anthems while I conducted.

The finished product - a collection of 100 hymn tunes arranged in 3-part harmony - aims to provide beginner organists with a stepping-stone into service accompaniment while privately working to develop their skills with left hand and pedal independence.

SATB vocal texture transfers readily to the organ by taking the bass to the pedals and playing just the tenor part with the left hand, but this requires a degree of LH + Ped independence. Playing this texture with manuals only is problematic, especially if the interval between tenor and bass exceeds an octave. Sharing the tenor part between the hands to cover these stretches - like the LH + Ped situation - is a skill which takes time to develop.

My arrangements give the left hand just a single part to play. Meanwhile the right hand maintains the soprano line unaltered while also handling a new alto line which aims to incorporate the harmony previously inherent in the now-removed tenor part. This texture works particularly well on instruments with "automatic bass" - such as with Hauptwerk's bass couplers.

The book is out of print, but I've now created a PDF "e-book" version and uploaded it into Google Drive. Please feel free to download, print, use and share this book - with my compliments. All I ask is that you let me know - either via this forum or by email to ajg2011a@me.com - if you have availed yourself of this offer, and perhaps give a little feedback on how useful you may happen to find it (especially with beginner organists).

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Andrew

kwbmusic

Re: Hymn Tunes for Keyboards

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 5:46 am

Andrew
Brilliant. Starting to learn organ in my seventies and now approaching mid eighties I am certainly not an accomplished organist. However I love the sound and the mechanics (brain, hands, feet) and your arrangements are just the thing for me. I only play to myself at home but you have added a lot for me.
Thanks,
Keith

TomBentley

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 7:34 am

Andrew this sounds like a wonderful thing as I am also nearly 70 and with a piano background am working now with learning organ via my HW setup. I attempted to use your link but it said I didn't have permission and there was a button requesting access so I think you may receive an email with my address TJBentley3815@gmail.com requesting permission. Thanks if you are able to grant this wish!

Tom

Andrew Grahame

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 7:57 am

Hi Keith and Tom,

Hope you derive much pleasure from these arrangements.

I’ve added you both to the permissions list, along with a number of others who’ve also opened the link.

When anyone opens the link I receive a permission request email. I will endeavour to respond ASAP.

Andrew

stoverkid

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 4:03 pm

Hi,
Thank you so much. We are a rural church with a few elementary keyboard students. Some can not reach the pedals yet. These will allow them to participate in the services before the little hands can reach normal hymns.

We also have an "over 70" brass trio of two trumpets and a baritone horn.

I am guessing you share the same issues.

Jim Manuel

larason2

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 5:32 pm

Thank-you, this is very useful.

Regards,

Andrew Grahame

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 10:42 pm

Hi Jim,

Yes, sounds as if this collection will meet your needs well. Let me know how the brass trio works out - I'd not envisaged it as such and I don't off hand know how the range of the bass part will fit to the euphonium, but I reckon it should sound good.

Hi Larason2,

Thank you - let me know how it works out.

To everyone - the concept itself is something that anyone with a reasonable understanding of harmony can attempt themselves. Have a look at a few of mine to get the general idea, then try one of your own.

Andrew

Return to General discussion