It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 am

the great 440hz conspiracy

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Jan Loosman

the great 440hz conspiracy

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 3:01 am

Have you ever heard of the 440hz conspiracy?
This article explains it.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4194106/440- ... acy-music/

The pitch we use these days, 440Hz has become the universal standard only the last century from 1940.

They tell that the nazis where great advocates of the 440hz pitch because it causes more aggression
There are musicians that say that music in 432hz pitch gives more relaxation of the mind.
Some musicians want to return to the 432hz pitch as universal pitch.

In our Hauptwerk organs we have the means to listen to a piece (midi file) in 440hz or 432hz so it must be easy to compare.

some music examples

http://www.terugnaar432hz.org/music.html

What do you think?

Regards Jan

Grant_Youngman

Re: the great 440hz conspiracy

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 8:20 am

Jan Loosman wrote:What do you think?

I think there are also people who are convinced the Earth is flat :-)
Grant

engrssc

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 8:49 am

Grant_Youngman wrote:I think there are also people who are convinced the Earth is flat

:D :roll: :shock:

Rgds,
Ed

jbittner

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 9:33 am

Of course music played with A=440 will sound different than when it is played A=432. The problem with the article cited is that it argues that A=432 will sound better, and then, after setting up that expectation offers musical examples to prove its point, but not as blind comparison.

The author of the article is quick to cite nefarious theories for this upward pitch creep, but fails to mention the less conspiratorial and more likely reason, that the standard pitch increased due to the desire of musicians to increase the brilliance of the sound. This "pitch inflation" continues today and is why the concert pitch tuned to by most symphony orchestras is above A=440 with A=442 being typical.
John B.
Allen 965 MOS 2
Zuma Group MOS-2 Midi Keyboard Encoder
Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
Hauptwerk 4.2
Major I ACO
Paramount 320
Father Willis Standard 80

Antoni Scott

PostSat Sep 29, 2018 7:11 am

I agree 100% that the 432 pitch sounds better. All of my organs are re-pitched. Although I have no proof, I believe that the 440 pitch was standardized because it wanted to be in line with the orchestra. As Hauptwerk owners we have a unique opportunity to customize our organs to suit our needs and then hit the reset option to bring it back to the default setting.

Which brings me to another topic that has interested me since I owned Hauptwerk. Wind modeling and detuning are posted under another title in the forum.

Antoni Scott

PostSat Sep 29, 2018 7:11 am

I agree 100% that the 432 pitch sounds better. All of my organs are re-pitched. Although I have no proof, I believe that the 440 pitch was standardized because it wanted to be in line with the orchestra. As Hauptwerk owners we have a unique opportunity to customize our organs to suit our needs and then hit the reset option to bring it back to the default setting.

Which brings me to another topic that has interested me since I owned Hauptwerk. Wind modeling and detuning are posted under another title in the forum.

TheOrganDoc

PostMon Oct 01, 2018 8:26 pm

Try playing the Chimes along with the Organ (No Trem,s) to find out what pitch the chimes are tuned to ! ! !
If you have other tuned percussion's, check their pitch against the organ, I have always tuned organs to the same pitch as its tuned percussion's ! :roll:
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

Return to General discussion