It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:28 am

Organ loading speed

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

minktor

Organ loading speed

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 7:01 am

Hi,
I have an 500 GB SSD M.2 with tested 3000 MB/s.
Loading an organ, the taskmanger shows me only app. 300 MB/s speed.
How to accelerate the system ?
Loading the Melbourne Townhall Organ ist the time for a cup of coffee :-)

Thanks

minktor

Cooky

Re: Organ loading speed

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 9:59 pm

Hi Minktor,
Firstly, Melbourne Town Hall is one very big sample set - at about 30GB!!
Since your SSD is super fast, you may be being limited by the ability of your motherboard to handle such transfer speed.
Is your transfer via PCIe or SATA?
SATA may limit you to 600MB/s (5 minutes load for MTH); PCIe may be faster depending on how many "lanes" can be used for transfer.
I have Melbourne Town Hall, and a 500GB SSD - I would love to load at 3000MB/s in just ten seconds!! (it takes me about 3 minutes, but well worth the wait) .

Cooky

ludu

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 7:15 am

If you have enough RAM, you may load your organs without any compression. The loading time is considerably reduced with this setting.
Luc

MrNhanduc

PostFri Nov 16, 2018 4:12 am

It could be that the M.2 connector on your motherboard indeed is only functioning at SATA speeds. Do you have the motherboard name/code?

Also, the most recent Windows 10 versions seem to slow down loading times quite a bit.

In the most optimal way (uncompressed loading), reaching 1000-1100 MB/s is the best you can get. do not forget that the advertized 3000 MB/s is only at 1 specific workload. Look for reviews and you will see that in most user cases the speeds are lower. Loading windows or games is not faster from a pci-e ssd in comparison to a regular SATA SSD.

Eric Sagmuller

PostFri Nov 16, 2018 12:27 pm

I can get much faster loading uncompressed, but have found that this is only true if I load the same organ twice or more. I turn my computer off when done playing, and find that it takes nearly twice as long to load the first time. Maybe it does this too in compressed mode, but I don't remember it doing that, and haven't tried compressed lately. I had thought that once a sample set was cached, it would load that much faster consistently, independent if the computer had been shut down or not.

Eric

1961TC4ME

PostFri Nov 16, 2018 12:45 pm

Eric Sagmuller wrote:I can get much faster loading uncompressed, but have found that this is only true if I load the same organ twice or more. I turn my computer off when done playing, and find that it takes nearly twice as long to load the first time. Maybe it does this too in compressed mode, but I don't remember it doing that, and haven't tried compressed lately. I had thought that once a sample set was cached, it would load that much faster consistently, independent if the computer had been shut down or not.

Eric

I haven't tried uncompressed mode as I know I wouldn't have enough RAM for a few of the sets I have (I have a total of 32 GB) and I too shut my computer off after each use. In compressed mode, once I've loaded an organ the first time (which is pretty slow), after that it loads much faster and loading times are pretty consistent. I don't have an SSD, but loading the Armley Schulze extended version in 20 bit across the board without the tremmed samples (I don't have enough memory to include them) takes about 3 minutes every time.

Marc

Eric Sagmuller

PostSat Nov 17, 2018 5:07 pm

When you say " loaded the organ the first time" do you mean every time after you turn the computer back on, or the very first time when it caches?

1961TC4ME

PostSat Nov 17, 2018 5:39 pm

Eric Sagmuller wrote:When you say " loaded the organ the first time" do you mean every time after you turn the computer back on, or the very first time when it caches?

First time it caches. As an example, I try a new rank routing configuration. First load is quite slow, like 15 + minutes slow. After that subsequent loads regardless if it's the same session or after I've turned the computer off and I load it a week later, it's around 3 - 4 minutes to load. As long as I reload it the same way, such as when you select from the list 'load recent organ' or I select it fom the list of organs I've saved as favorites I've already been using with the same rank configuration several times.

I will say though, once in awhile even an organ I've loaded several times the same way will get to like 40% loaded and will then crawl from there to like 60% and will then suddenly take off again and it maybe takes an additional 2 minutes for it to load vs. the normal loading time. What causes this? I have no clue. My HW computer is never on the internet or needing to do anything else like an update as an example.

Marc

Eric Sagmuller

PostSat Nov 17, 2018 6:25 pm

I will have to try compressed again when I get a chance. I'm curious now.

My computer generally does some windows stuff early on so that could have a small effect. But it seems to act similarly if I let the computer run awhile, before loading the first time after powering it back up. I generally only play one sample set during sessions, so this is annoying.

Eric

1961TC4ME

PostSat Nov 17, 2018 6:38 pm

Eric Sagmuller wrote:I will have to try compressed again when I get a chance. I'm curious now.

My computer generally does some windows stuff early on so that could have a small effect. But it seems to act similarly if I let the computer run awhile, before loading the first time after powering it back up. I generally only play one sample set during sessions, so this is annoying.

Eric

As long as you're loading it from the list 'load recent organ' or from your favorites list, i.e. you're loading it the same way you last did, it should take about the same time to load every time, which should be significantly faster than the first cache.

Marc

Eric Sagmuller

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 6:55 pm

Yes that is how I load it. I also noticed that when I do it starts to load quickly, then slows way down. Again only first time after powering back up.

Eric

abaymajr

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 11:52 pm

For a rather simple setup based on an Intel i7-6500U mobile cpu, there's not much difference between compressed and uncompressed loading times. For example, loading OAM Steinkirchen front samples takes 17 seconds for uncompressed samples and 19 seconds for the compressed ones. One set reaches 440MB/s transfer rate but it's 7500MB long. The other (compressed) reaches only 290MB/s, but it's significant smaller (2000GB less), so its loading time is almost the same. The SSD is a Samsung 850EVO 500GB, attached to a SATA III (6Gb/s) interface. At least for the compressed samples, the CPU is the bottleneck. Its usage reaches >85% while loading. I hadn't metered CPU usage for the uncompressed sample loading.

engrssc

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 4:57 am

I'm asking here, but it appears having a huge SSD or HDD may be a factor in loading times vs using a smaller more "compact" appropriate sized to the sample set version, yes?

Rgds,
Ed

1961TC4ME

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 10:54 am

What I'm also wondering is, for those such as Eric that says the set (or sets) load slow only the first time after turning the computer on, is if there's something else is going on in the background that his computer is doing that contributes to the slow loading time? Eric does mention it's doing some 'Windows things' so to me this would be the only explanation. Is this computer ever on the internet? Is there an anti virus installed? Is it installing updates or is it looking for updates and so on? My computer has not been on the internet since pretty much day one, does not perform anything at all at start up, and I also turned off 'automatic updates' to prevent it from looking for updates. Even if it's not on the internet, if you don't turn this feature off, it will still look. Big Box store computers also tend to come with a considerable amount of 'bloat ware' installed which can be quite annoying and slow things down. Ask me about this crap going on with my lap top with Win 10 I picked up a few years ago, it's enough to drive you nuts! :roll: :evil: . Stuff popping up all the time at start up that you're being asked to install or purchase and so on. If this it's a Hauptwerk dedicated only computer and never goes on the internet, get rid of anything you don't need or will never use.

Marc

jkinkennon

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 1:43 pm

I highly recommend the Samsung SSDs. Yesterday I replaced a 950 Pro M.2 512 GB with a 970 Pro M.2 1 TB SSD. What really surprised me was the much faster speed to UNLOAD the Goerlitz sample set. Just over a minute instead of two minutes+. Here are the load speeds:

Sample loader: approx. avg. overall data read rate: 578.36 MB/s.
Sample loader: approx. avg. data read rate during disk reader activity: 1413.84 MB/s.

The drive tests at about 3400 MB/s under ideal conditions. It looks like I could get some improvement with a faster CPU and latest motherboard -- this is an i7-5820K which is fast but now obsolete (so soon!).

Thanks to a church I work with for this generous token of their appreciation. It is indeed more blessed to give than to receive but the receiving part is good as well!
Next

Return to General discussion