It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:21 pm

News from mdyde?

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

ludu

News from mdyde?

PostFri Nov 23, 2018 5:51 pm

I am wondering if Martin is still working for Hauptwerk.
He wrote his last post end of March 2018…
Luc

engrssc

Re: News from mdyde?

PostFri Nov 23, 2018 7:55 pm

Have no fear.

Rgds,
Ed

RichardW

PostSat Nov 24, 2018 8:50 pm

Note: This is pure supposition on my part, but ...

If Martin goes quiet for an extended period we always seem to get a new version of Hauptwerk at the end of it.

Regards,
Richard

Grant_Youngman

PostSat Nov 24, 2018 9:09 pm

Martin (or maybe it was Brett) put up a post some time ago that Brett would be responding to the typical "Martin" questions on the board. The purpose was to allow Martin to focus on development without the distraction of having to respond to the continual barrage of ad hoc technical questions around here. That most likely explains his absence ..
Grant

1961TC4ME

PostSat Nov 24, 2018 9:54 pm

I recall the same. Last spring Martin stated he was taking time to fully concentrate on the next version of Hauptwerk. Can't say I blame him, everyone needs some time off from the constant barrage.

Without Martin's presence here for every question that pops up, and also considering even Brett's minimal input as of late, it's testament to the fact they're confident there's enough knowledgeable users here (and I believe there is), to help each other and we can still get along just fine without anyone needing to go into panic mode. I have no doubt they are BOTH quite busy working on the next version. In the meantime, we'll be fine. My console hasn't blown up yet. :mrgreen:

Marc

ludu

PostSun Nov 25, 2018 3:17 am

Many thanks for that good news. I was just afraid Martin was ill or depressed.
Luc

sjkartchner

PostSun Nov 25, 2018 9:24 am

Without verifiable information, all of this is pure speculation. In my opinion, it does not seem natural at all for there to be such an extended and total lack of information. Even a periodic post saying all is well would be sufficient.

While the current version of Hauptwerk is more than adequate for my needs, the long-term question is whether it will be able to run on future versions of operating systems. I suppose we'll have to cross that bridge when necessary, but having no current assurance whatsoever that development is ongoing leaves open these kinds of questions.

Complete silence is not a good business model from my perspective.
Stan Kartchner, Tucson, AZ USA

sjkartchner

PostSun Nov 25, 2018 9:39 am

The other question that comes to mind is what does happen when Martin and/or Brett are ready to retire? Is there a business continuity plan in place? Could one or more of the major sample set producers take over the development and support of Hauptwerk? Is there already someone in the wings who can step up?

Food for thought.
Stan Kartchner, Tucson, AZ USA

John L

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 8:14 am

sjkartchner wrote:Complete silence is not a good business model from my perspective.

I have to agree with this sentiment. As a relative newcomer to Hauptwerk and a software developer myself I find it surprising that there have been no updates for well over three years. That is unusual in the general industry sense but perhaps not so for Hauptwerk. It's a bit worrying that there has been no official response to this thread.

John.

RichardW

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 9:24 am

John L wrote:... no updates for well over three years. That is unusual in the general industry ...

Isn't it fair to add that most of those updates are for fixing bugs or plugging security loopholes?

Maybe the quality job done by MDA means that Hauptwerk does not have so many of those issues?

Regards,
Richard

John L

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 10:13 am

RichardW wrote:Isn't it fair to add that most of those updates are for fixing bugs or plugging security loopholes?

Yes, often that is the case. It's also pretty common to have new feature updates on a rather faster time scale than three+ years. For example, I find the inability to insert/delete frames in the sequencer is a curious omission that I would have thought would be fixed with a feature update, especially as over three years ago Martin said that it was asked for "a lot" - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14503.

John.

engrssc

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 10:34 am

Anything from this end is pure speculation mixed in with criticism. I have been involved with Hauptwerk from very early on already realizing that this was a very special software with possibly some.limitations. Unlike large developers, HW has been more than very good and rewarding to deal with. Think of it this way, how about if there was no Hauptwerk in any form? If anyone(s) can do better, why don't they? :x

I don't believe Martin or Brett owe us anything. The option is open for everyone to go out and buy an Allen, Rodgers or any other brand of organ if they wish. :roll: Or how about if "they" hired a bunch of software developer/designers with the result that a single H/W license was $20K? :shock:

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 6:46 pm

1961TC4ME wrote:it's testament to the fact they're confident there's enough knowledgeable users here (and I believe there is), to help each other and we can still get along just fine without anyone needing to go into panic mode.

For absolute, there is a huge background of high level informants who frequent this Forum. Probably there should be more info written as how to do a search for answers. OTOH, a person has to have at least a slight amount of knowledge to ask the right (search) question(s).

I commented earlier to Marc that I answer questions via PM. Many times, when I ask if they read the HW manual, I get the answer - No. To some degree I can understand that because there is such a huge amount of info in there that can be difficult to understand, esp doing a quick read thru. OTOH, a basic setup isn't all that hard to do.

Not as a criticism, but in today's "world" so much is expected to be ready to use 'out-of-the-box". Hauptwerk doesn't work that way. It's quite neat to read the accounts of those who ventured and came to success proving that it can be done. There are challenges, but even those, with some perseverance, can be worked out. Like the question posed by eBay when an offer is not accepted by the seller - How much do you want it?

Rgds,
Ed

Return to General discussion