It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 am

Which Teensy

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

David Baldwin

Which Teensy

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 12:05 pm

I have never used a Teensy or any other micro board. At the current time I have nearly finished a group of pedal switches to use as pedal pistons. I plan to have 7 either side of my swell pedals. The they would pass through some controller and input midi information to my computer via USB. I know there are boards around which will perform as the interface but they are overkill for my needs. I would also like to use the project as a chance to learn how to program a Teensy. What I don't know is which one to start with. Would t he low cost one be sufficient.
I would please to receive any advice to get me started.
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

jkinkennon

Re: Which Teensy

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 9:41 am

I am using the Teensy 3.6 as an encoder and decoder for a number of projects. It's overkill for just a pedalboard but at $30 why save $10 or so going to the slower models? At least that's my reasoning. I am just days away from posting a couple of programs that will be helpful. I'm running a three manual Rodgers organ which is complete except for checking if I need new pots for the expression pedals or if I somehow corrupted the code that worked so perfectly on the workbench.

organsRgreat

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 12:47 pm

Can a Teensy board work on its own, or does it need a Raspberry pi?

jkinkennon

PostSat Dec 01, 2018 1:05 pm

No need for a Raspberry Pi. The Teensy is a great encoder running alone. The Teensy 3.6 has significantly more power than necessary.

It's interesting that a 32-bit Teensy or similar encoder running at a clock speed in the range of 80 to 200 MHz is faster for low level data gathering (scanning keys) than a Raspberry Pi with a 64-bit 1.2GHz quad-core processor. That's assuming the Pi is running one of the Linux variants of course.

I'm looking at the final issues with the encoder and will post in the MIDI/DIY section of the forum later today, hopefully.

Return to General discussion